An Old School Catholic Message Board

Life Teen

PennyLane

LinaSt.Cecilia2772

[quote name='Lil Red' timestamp='1307133388' post='2249583']
umm, how many times does DS have to say that she is specifically talking about the LifeTeen program at her parish?
[/quote]

it didn't sound like that, and i apologize for my misjudgement. but it does sadden me as a teen to read that youth shouldn't be included in the mass. i also have seen sloppy eucharistic ministers, but not all parishes train their ministers poorly. my parish does a great job and i've seen other parishes do a good job training them as well. all i'm saying is that we shouldn't have judgement of all parishes training them badly, because it's not that way everywhere. again i apologize

[quote name='LinaSt.Cecilia2772' timestamp='1307134480' post='2249595']
it didn't sound like that, and i apologize for my misjudgement. but it does sadden me as a teen to read that youth shouldn't be included in the mass. i also have seen sloppy eucharistic ministers, but not all parishes train their ministers poorly. my parish does a great job and i've seen other parishes do a good job training them as well. all i'm saying is that we shouldn't have judgement of all parishes training them badly, because it's not that way everywhere. again i apologize
[/quote]
maybe i missed it, but where did DS say that youth should not be included in the Mass?

[quote name='kujo' timestamp='1307133889' post='2249587']
I've seen more slovenly, distracting, disrespectful ADULT EMs than teen/young adults.
[/quote]
oh my goodness!! i didn't say that the EMs I saw were teens. i've seen adult & teen EMs whose behavior is awful.

[quote name='Roamin_Catholic' timestamp='1307134143' post='2249590']
Why even the need for Teen Masses? The point of the mass is not to separate the congregation, but to bring everyone together.

Do the over 60 crowd also deserve a senior mass? [/quote]

Of course. What do you think the 7:30 AM mass is for?

As you may know, dioceses often have special masses for (say) policemen - blue mass - or doctors and nurses - white mass, etc. Having a mass and inviting a particular group is fine...as long as the mass itself is open to anyone. I can go to a Polish mass or a Spanish mass, and no one cares that I only speak English.

I feel the need to point out that many traditional hymns were written by Protestants. John Wesley (founder of the Methodists) composed a ton, as did Martin Luther. Have you ever sung 'A Might Fortress is Our God' at mass? Did anyone find it...inappropriate? Silent Night was written for guitar, not organ. Is it not right to sing that at a Christmas mass? Anyway, if people don't like the musical style of Praise & Worship music, that's fine. To each his own. If the lyrics of a particular song are not in sync with Catholic teaching, that shouldn't be sung at mass, either. But some of the complaints being made against this can [i]easily[/i] be turned back on a lot of liturgical music in use.

dominicansoul

[quote name='LinaSt.Cecilia2772' timestamp='1307134480' post='2249595']
[/quote]

we're all included in the Mass...

before reading the following, please understand again, I'm speaking about my hometown parish, and what I have witnessed with the LifeTeen program there, not generalizing LifeTeen:

I'm a catechism teacher of teenagers...I'd die for my youth...and when it comes to understanding the Mass, I don't feed them wishy washy, watered down, psuedo protestant, made up stuff that has nothing to do with genuine Catholic worship...and guess what? they love me for that. most importantly, I am blessed to see a growth in their Faith, especially when they are fed the Truth about what the Mass is really all about... I don't dumb down things for them, because I know they are capable of understanding the Beauty and Splendors of the Church...

[quote name='MithLuin' timestamp='1307134932' post='2249599']
[/quote]
i lol'd :hehe:

CephaDrigan

[/quote]
:lol: That's what mass I go to! Coincidently, I'm related to half the people who go that mass.

LinaSt.Cecilia2772

[quote name='dominicansoul' timestamp='1307134309' post='2249592']
[b]you don't need to perform any ministry during the Holy Mass to be "included" [/b]

...just being present to Jesus at His Holy Sacrifice makes you a very important part of the Holy Catholic Church... what did Our Lady do as Jesus died on the cross? She stood at the foot of the Cross worshipping Him, and receiving from Him what only He could give...
[/quote]

I know and i do whether i'm ministering or not. all i'm saying is that i dont think youth should be limited to ministries. i apologize if i offended you. I've been involved in various ministries at my church since i was nine years old, and i've always been told by adults that i wasn't capable of performing ministries for the church and the people. i've always felt a call to be a part of ministry, and i've worked very hard to encourage my peers and adults that youth can be involved. I'm not disagreeing with your statement, because being involved spritually at mass is the MOST important thing. Again i apologize for my misjudgement.

faithcecelia

As you may know, dioceses often have special masses for (say) policemen - blue mass - or doctors and nurses - white mass, etc. Having a mass and inviting a particular group is fine...as long as the mass itself is open to anyone. I can go to a Polish mass or a Spanish mass, and no one cares that I only speak English.

I feel the need to point out that many traditional hymns were written by Protestants. John Wesley (founder of the Methodists) composed a ton, as did Martin Luther. Have you ever sung 'A Might Fortress is Our God' at mass? Did anyone find it...inappropriate? Silent Night was written for guitar, not organ. Is it not right to sing that at a Christmas mass? Anyway, if people don't like the musical style of Praise & Worship music, that's fine. To each his own. If the lyrics of a particular song are not in sync with Catholic teaching, that shouldn't be sung at mass, either. But some of the complaints being made against this can [i]easily[/i] be turned back on a lot of liturgical music in use.
[/quote]

Thank you, you have saved me typing :like: ......Except I'm a 7:30 Mass attender - I find its the easiest to concentrate at and not be distracted by the 'performance', and I'm in a very 'traditional' (aka medieval with victorian hymns) parish.

Roamin Catholic

[/quote]

These are once a week events outside of the language masses, Teen Masses are celebrated weekly in many places. But my point was that where do you stop the separation?

Once again, the mass is not to separate people.

Also, I sure hope that music comment wasn't directed at me, I made no mention of the music of mass.

Roamin Catholic

[/quote]

Also, I'm a 25 year old male, where is my special mass?

LinaSt.Cecilia2772

[quote name='dominicansoul' timestamp='1307135046' post='2249601']
we're all included in the Mass...

before reading the following, please understand again, I'm speaking about my hometown parish, and what I have witnessed with the LifeTeen program there, not generalizing LifeTeen:

I'm a catechism teacher of teenagers...I'd die for my youth...and when it comes to understanding the Mass, I don't feed them wishy washy, watered down, psuedo protestant, made up stuff that has nothing to do with genuine Catholic worship...and guess what? they love me for that. most importantly, I am blessed to see a growth in their Faith, especially when they are fed the Truth about what the Mass is really all about... I don't dumb down things for them, because I know they are capable of understanding the Beauty and Splendors of the Church...
[/quote]

I have great respect for you doing that because I wish i had that at my church with the youth ministers. I dont think Lifeteen itself dumbs down things for youth, i think it has to do specifically with the various leaders running the program at various parishes. thank you for ministering to the youth because the youth are so important. i apologize for my mistaken judgement

dominicansoul

[quote name='Roamin_Catholic' timestamp='1307134143' post='2249590']
Why even the need for Teen Masses? The point of the mass is not to separate the congregation, but to bring everyone together.

Do the over 60 crowd also deserve a senior mass?
The football crowd a Mass where the priest spends his homily predicting football scores?

Bring everyone together into one giant celebration of the Eucharist.
[/quote]

where can I find the Mass for Detroit Red Wing fans?

I thought, according to Lumen Gentium, that the preferred music for liturgy was Gregorian chant? That's happening like no where. I find a reverently-done, contemporary Mass, Life Teen or not, is much better for entering into the Mass than some of the coagulated milk of the '6o's and 70's played on an organ. Actually, Life Teen promotes using a lot of traditional hymns. At the conference last year I remember, off the top of my head, "The King of Love My Shepherd Is" and "All Creatures" being used.

It all comes down to the same dead horse we've been pummeling... it's the people implementing the program, not the program itself.

faithcecelia

[quote name='dominicansoul' timestamp='1307135546' post='2249610']
where can I find the Mass for Detroit Red Wing fans?
[/quote]

I'd like one for the 30-somethings who dont really fit with either the old ladies or young families.