An Old School Catholic Message Board

If God Is All Powerful, Can He Make A Rock So Big, That Even He Cannot

dairygirl4u2c

If God existed could He, in His omnipotence make a rock that He couldn't lift? Hmmmmm, I'm going to say no because that would be a contradiction of terms which would generate much unnecessary confusion were they ever to be declared doctrine by the Church.

Don't you just love it when atheists answer your theological questions? Adorable, right?

Groo the Wanderer

been answered about 20 times in the last 8 pages. dunno why this came back. like an old fluffy air extraction

[quote name='r2Dtoo' timestamp='1339339040' post='2443154']
[s]Phatmass [/s] Dairygirl has had a funny thing for bringing dead topics back lately for some reason.
[/quote]

fixed. :P

Edited by Aloysius

Mark of the Cross

Apo says that logic is God's nature. But then that doesn't explain the origins of some Phatmass posters.

[quote name='Mark of the Cross' timestamp='1339455290' post='2443640']
Apo says that logic is God's nature. But then that doesn't explain the origins of some Phatmass posters.
[/quote]They're of the devil.

Mark of the Cross

[quote name='Anomaly' timestamp='1339465325' post='2443691']
They're of the devil.
[/quote]
Awww I didn't mean to imply that! Only that logic is sometimes missing.

[quote name='Mark of the Cross' timestamp='1339455290' post='2443640']
[/quote]
stop projecting

PhuturePriest

I don't know about God, but Chuck Norris can.

[img]http://assets.diylol.com/hfs/ae6/293/38d/resized/chuck-norris-meme-generator-chuck-norris-can-create-a-rock-so-heavy-that-even-he-cannot-lift-and-then-lift-it-51dbe2.jpg[/img]

In retrospect I don't really like this picture. It doesn't make too much sense. And it's not funny.

Edited by FuturePriest387

[quote name='FuturePriest387' timestamp='1339526254' post='2443987']
I don't know about God, but Chuck Norris can.

[img]http://assets.diylol.com/hfs/ae6/293/38d/resized/chuck-norris-meme-generator-chuck-norris-can-create-a-rock-so-heavy-that-even-he-cannot-lift-and-then-lift-it-51dbe2.jpg[/img]

In retrospect I don't really like this picture. It doesn't make too much sense. And it's not funny.
[/quote]It would have been better if it said "God made a rock so big nobody could lift it, but He made Chuck Norris lift it for Him."

PhuturePriest

[quote name='Anomaly' timestamp='1339527566' post='2443993']
It would have been better if it said "God made a rock so big nobody could lift it, but He made Chuck Norris lift it for Him."
[/quote]

Yeah. But what more can you expect from people that make memes? Just look at BigJon.

Tab'le De'Bah-Rye

[quote name='dairygirl4u2c' timestamp='1307327886' post='2250306']
i know folks have mentioned this here in passing, addressed it. but, never a devoted topic to it.

God can do anything, right?
If God is all powerful, can He make a rock so big, that even He cannot lift it?
If you say he can make the rock... then are you saying that God cannot lift it?
If you say that he can lift the rock... then are you saying that he can't make the rock so big enough?
[/quote]

Why would God create something greater than himself, than what need would there be of God. He created lucifer within an inch of his power for whatever reason and lucifer got proud or something and started to think God was wrong and that he could do a better job. Thats my answer to your question anyway.

Edited by Tab'le Du'Bah-Rye

• 2 years later...
dairygirl4u2c

or better said.it's basically saying.

"can the unlimited limit itself? if not., then it's not unlimited. if so, then it's not unlimited". it's a no win situation, based on a play of concepts. it is better to say God is unlimited and cannot limit himself. this places logical restrictions on what God can do. but this too does lead to strange conclusions at the abstract level. it is better to say that God is reality. God cannot be contradictory. he cannot be a square circle. he cannot both be and not be.

Edited by dairygirl4u2c