An Old School Catholic Message Board

Catholic Church Denies Funeral For Local Gay Man...maybe

katholikkid

[quote name='kujo' timestamp='1309466399' post='2261133']
I'm sure that's not what she meant anyway...
[/quote]
I'm with tubby, on this.

[quote name='Winchester' timestamp='1309466423' post='2261135']
I'm with tubby, on this.
[/quote]

I've lost 10 pounds in the last month. Trying to prove that hypothetical-man on the street wrong!

[quote name='kujo' timestamp='1309466529' post='2261139']
I've lost 10 pounds in the last month. Trying to prove that hypothetical-man on the street wrong!
[/quote]
Don't go looking for them.

That being said, I'm not bothered when someone calls me fat. I [i]am[/i] fat. I typically respond with "Yeah, and you have blond/brown/red/etc/ hair. Should we continue this game of 'state-the-obvious?'"

[quote name='kujo' timestamp='1309466669' post='2261143']
That being said, I'm not bothered when someone calls me fat. I [i]am[/i] fat. I typically respond with "Yeah, and you have blond/brown/red/etc/ hair. Should we continue this game of 'state-the-obvious?'"
[/quote]
Although it's true, it always bothers me when people tell me I'm the handsomest man alive.

[quote name='Winchester' timestamp='1309466739' post='2261144']
Although it's true, it always bothers me when people tell me I'm the handsomest man alive.
[/quote]

It should bother you because you are not!

[img]http://img7.imageshack.us/img7/15/22868310100397985780152.jpg[/img]

Come on...how can you beat that?

[quote name='kujo' timestamp='1309466903' post='2261146']
It should bother you because you are not!

[img]http://img7.imageshack.us/img7/15/22868310100397985780152.jpg[/img]

Come on...how can you beat that?
[/quote]
[img]https://www.t-mobilepictures.com/myalbum/photos/photo02/85/7e/208b81193bae__1272161543000.jpg[/img]

[quote name='Winchester' timestamp='1309467303' post='2261149']
[img]https://www.t-mobilepictures.com/myalbum/photos/photo02/85/7e/208b81193bae__1272161543000.jpg[/img]
[/quote]

You look like one of the dudes from that movie Small Soldiers:

[img]http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3080/3160383925_42e04a99fc.jpg[/img]

Edited by kujo

fides' Jack

[quote name='Winchester' timestamp='1309466423' post='2261135']
I'm with tubby, on this.
[/quote]

I'm definitely with Miss Scripture. She was only comparing the two things to show that they are both behaviors. Not good or bad, just behaviors. If you can't judge bad behavior, then you can't judge ANY bad behavior, including murder. She's just showing the hypocrisy there.

Can we get a mod in here? We need someone to move this to the new CvC board (if it exists, yet).

[quote name='fides' Jack' timestamp='1309467526' post='2261154']
Can we get a mod in here? We need someone to move this to the new CvC board (if it exists, yet).
[/quote]

Please don't. Doing so would exclude me from the discussion since I "no longer rep the Church."

MissScripture

[quote name='fides' Jack' timestamp='1309467526' post='2261154']
I'm definitely with Miss Scripture. She was only comparing the two things to show that they are both behaviors. Not good or bad, just behaviors. If you can't judge bad behavior, then you can't judge ANY bad behavior, including murder. She's just showing the hypocrisy there.

[/quote]
(It doesn't, because you would be able to see it if it did). ;) Btw, I'm a mod. Technically, this isn't a Catholic vs. Catholic debate, anyway, because it is not regarding something where Catholics can hold 2 different, legitimate opinions (such as a preference for the NO or Traditional Latin Mass) .

[quote name='kujo' timestamp='1309467449' post='2261151']
You look like one of the dudes from that movie Small Soldiers:

[img]http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3080/3160383925_42e04a99fc.jpg[/img]
[/quote]
His arms are too thin.

homeschoolmom

Let's say that a heterosexual couple goes to their priest and says that they want to get married in a big, Catholic wedding with a full Nuptial Mass. The couple is living together and has no plans to stop. They are not sorry. They are happy. They love each other. But they want the big, Catholic wedding, too. The priest has an OBLIGATION to counsel them on the errors of their ways and deny their request. But that's "not fair," some would say. However, I would say that the Nuptial Mass is holy and it's place is for those who uphold the teachings of the Church. The same should be said of a Requiem Mass. They are not graduations or birthday parties or memorials. They are different. They are for those who live their lives in union with Catholic teaching.

[quote name='homeschoolmom' timestamp='1309468189' post='2261164']
Let's say that a heterosexual couple goes to their priest and says that they want to get married in a big, Catholic wedding with a full Nuptial Mass. The couple is living together and has no plans to stop. They are not sorry. They are happy. They love each other. But they want the big, Catholic wedding, too. The priest has an OBLIGATION to counsel them on the errors of their ways and deny their request. But that's "not fair," some would say. However, I would say that the Nuptial Mass is holy and it's place is for those who uphold the teachings of the Church. The same should be said of a Requiem Mass. They are not graduations or birthday parties or memorials. They are different. They are for those who live their lives in union with Catholic teaching.
[/quote]

Again, I think there is a distinction to be made regarding who is the recipient of the denial. In your example, the hetero-couple is being punished for not living in accordance to Catholic teachings, with the purpose of instructing [i]them[/i] in their errors. However, in the case of the funeral, it is solely the family and loved ones of the homosexual who have to bear the brunt of this action. And for what?

fides' Jack

[quote name='kujo' timestamp='1309468441' post='2261165']
Again, I think there is a distinction to be made regarding who is the recipient of the denial. In your example, the hetero-couple is being punished for not living in accordance to Catholic teachings, with the purpose of instructing [i]them[/i] in their errors. However, in the case of the funeral, it is solely the family and loved ones of the homosexual who have to bear the brunt of this action. And for what?
[/quote]

It has multiple purposes - including instructing everybody in the world. It is not solely the family and loved ones who bear the brunt - it's everybody, everywhere. That's why the public vs private makes a difference. Public affects everyone. If the sin was private, then there would be no purpose, and you'd be right.