An Old School Catholic Message Board

How To Have Family Refer To Religious

MissScripture

MissScripture

So, my sister is a soon-to-be novice with the Nashville Dominicans. She and I discussed what my baby should call her, but never really came up with a solution. How do you refer to Religious who are related to you, or how have you heard other people do it?

Ave Maria Totus Tuus

One of my best friends is a Nashville Dominican (side note, she professes her Final Vows on Monday!!), and her little nephew calls her "Aunt Sister" :-)

Edited by Ave Maria Totus Tuus

Ave Maria Totus Tuus

And another note, in the company of family, they all call her by her baptismal name. But in the company of others, they call her by her religious name.

For priests and brothers, I've always heard "Uncle". The new priest at our parish is Fr. Ed, and he told us recently his young niece likes to call him Uncle Fred. :hehe:

she_who_is_not

[quote name='Ave Maria Totus Tuus' timestamp='1311478986' post='2274681']
One of my best friends is a Nashville Dominican (side note, she professes her Final Vows on Monday!!), and her little nephew calls her "Aunt Sister" :-)
[/quote]

Ha! Didn't see your post. I was being silly but I guess it works.

I have a cousin who is an episcopalian nun. She was an only child, but she was so close to her cousin, that she called him brother and he called her sister. His kids called her sister aunt.

LaPetiteSoeur

My priest friend's nieces and nephews call him "Uncle Joe."

My friends who know about my vocation said their children are to refer to me as Auntie Sister. Let us know when you decide!

TeresaBenedicta

[quote name='Ave Maria Totus Tuus' timestamp='1311479156' post='2274683']
And another note, in the company of family, they all call her by her baptismal name. But in the company of others, they call her by her religious name.
[/quote]

That's probably what my family will do, I'd wager.

MissScripture

We'll all be calling her by her religious name, because that's what she wants. :) AHHH! I can't wait to find out what her new name is!!! :w00t:

Deus te Amat

[quote name='MissScripture' timestamp='1311481729' post='2274717']
We'll all be calling her by her religious name, because that's what she wants. :) AHHH! I can't wait to find out what her new name is!!! :w00t:
[/quote]

:like:

Will you call me?

MissScripture

[quote name='Deus_te_Amat' timestamp='1311482073' post='2274721']
:like:

Will you call me?
[/quote]
Sure! And I just realized that I still have a message from you on my phone that I need to listen to. I hope it wasn't important. :unsure: :ninja:

Deus te Amat

[quote name='MissScripture' timestamp='1311482245' post='2274722']
Sure! And I just realized that I still have a message from you on my phone that I need to listen to. I hope it wasn't important. :unsure: :ninja:
[/quote]

Uh.... :unsure:

I don't remember what I said. :blush: