An Old School Catholic Message Board

How To Have Family Refer To Religious

MissScripture

Maximilianus

[quote name='TeresaBenedicta' timestamp='1311481389' post='2274713']
That's probably what my family will do, I'd wager.
[/quote]

Just going off my thoughts for I have no idea what I'm talking about but it seems logical to me. Or maybe dropping their title and just calling them by their religious name, kind of like how in the Marines we would call each other by our last names or by Rank and last name in public but in private some would resort to first names.

Edited by Maximilianus

faithcecelia

If my brother and sister-in-law are blessed with children (sadly unlikely) I will be Auntie Faith, just as I will be Faith to my family and friends. It would never occur to me to use the title with my family and friends - its not like I am called Miss Faith now!

MissScripture

[quote name='faithcecelia' timestamp='1311514064' post='2274844']
If my brother and sister-in-law are blessed with children (sadly unlikely) I will be Auntie Faith, just as I will be Faith to my family and friends. It would never occur to me to use the title with my family and friends - its not like I am called Miss Faith now!
[/quote]
Do you not change your name, or would you just have them use your Baptismal name, regardless?

Part of my sister's request has to do with the fact that certain people in our family have a hard time with her decision, and to not use her Religious name would be conducive to them taking her decision seriously. Said relatives seem to think this is just sort of a game, or something a passing phase or something. Plus, when my name was changed after getting married, she didn't still call me by my maiden name, so I have no problem not calling her by her previous name.

faithcecelia

[quote name='MissScripture' timestamp='1311517315' post='2274867']
Do you not change your name, or would you just have them use your Baptismal name, regardless?

Part of my sister's request has to do with the fact that certain people in our family have a hard time with her decision, and to not use her Religious name would be conducive to them taking her decision seriously. Said relatives seem to think this is just sort of a game, or something a passing phase or something. Plus, when my name was changed after getting married, she didn't still call me by my maiden name, so I have no problem not calling her by her previous name.
[/quote]

I am hoping to become Sr Faith Cecelia of Christ Crucified but may need to drop Cecelia if thry think it too long. Notting Hill tend to keep their own name and add a devotion now as its easier for formalities suc as doctors, etc. If I did have to change my first name, in my own case I would probably have my family continue calling me Faith simply because it is not my baptismal name and it already cost my family a lot emotionally to call me Faith and not Ruth.

However, in your sister's position is I went from being Faith to being Sr Sarah (etc) i would ask family to call me Sarah and babies Auntie Sarah. I would never ask a family member or friend to call me Sister, though its lovely when they do!

MissScripture

[quote name='faithcecelia' timestamp='1311517861' post='2274875']
I am hoping to become Sr Faith Cecelia of Christ Crucified but may need to drop Cecelia if thry think it too long. Notting Hill tend to keep their own name and add a devotion now as its easier for formalities suc as doctors, etc. If I did have to change my first name, in my own case I would probably have my family continue calling me Faith simply because it is not my baptismal name and it already cost my family a lot emotionally to call me Faith and not Ruth.

However, in your sister's position is I went from being Faith to being Sr Sarah (etc) i would ask family to call me Sarah and babies Auntie Sarah. I would never ask a family member or friend to call me Sister, though its lovely when they do!
[/quote]
Okay, that makes sense. I asked my sister about how they do doctors and that, and I guess for all legal purposes, they are still their legal name, such as doctors, driver's licenses, etc (so I'm guessing that's what's on their teaching license as well). I know my mother is very irritated with the ("Catholic") hospital she works at, because they don't even show in patient charts if they are Religious, and have no way to put that title into their chart (even though they have options for the rest of the possible titles --Miss, Mrs., Ms., Mr., Dr), and while they have a spot in the demographics for "preferred name" that doesn't show up anywhere except in the demographics, which you have to hunt down in their chart.

It would be hilarious if my sister became Sr. Sarah, since that is my name (well, Sarah is...though my sister frequently called me Sr. Sarah on her home visit, just out of habit). :hehe: I started calling my sister and another Sister that I am friends with by "Sister Mary" and "Sister Samantha" when they entered, as kind of a way of saying, "Cool! Look, you're really a Sister!" much like my family started addressing things to me as Dr. Sarah right after I received my doctorate. Both of them were so pleased by it, particularly Sr. Samantha, because no one else would call her Sister, that I couldn't stop doing it!

HopefulBride

I never really thought about that. I can't imagine my family calling me anything than my baptismal name. Although my mother has asked me what she should call me.

The idea of my family calling me something other than my baptismal name is just strange. In fact, just the idea of being called anything other than my baptismal name is weird. I imagine it will be strange hearing people refer to me by my religious name for the first few months.

MissScripture

[quote name='HopefulBride' timestamp='1311519942' post='2274902']
I never really thought about that. I can't imagine my family calling me anything than my baptismal name. Although my mother has asked me what she should call me.

The idea of my family calling me something other than my baptismal name is just strange. In fact, just the idea of being called anything other than my baptismal name is weird. I imagine it will be strange hearing people refer to me by my religious name for the first few months.
[/quote]
I was thinking about that, yesterday. I had a really hard time when I realized I was going to be changing my last name when I got married. And it was a hard thing for me to accept, though I also couldn't imagine NOT taking my husband's last name. I was wondering how that's going for the 24 Sisters who are waiting to get their new names. I also wonder how confusing it is, at first, since they've known each other for a year now, by their baptismal names. I'd have a hard enough time remembering my own name, much less, 23 other new names! :lol:

My community also mainly uses the baptismal names, except if there already is a sister with that name, then normally one adds something to that name.
But you can also change your name if this has a meaning for you.

I guess I will just stay with my name (no one has it yet in the community). I might add a form of Mary to it like soeur XYZ Marie. But then I would want to be called just my normal name by my family.

The sisters among each other usually do not refer to each other by "sister", but just their name. It is kind of the "informal" way. But if you talk to a guest about a certain sister you always use "sister" of course.

When I am with my community some guests mistake me for a postulant calling me "ma chere soeur", "my dear sister" which I still find VERY strange! But I hope that this will get more normal :) :crazy:

HopefulBride

[quote name='MissScripture' timestamp='1311520564' post='2274910']
I was thinking about that, yesterday. I had a really hard time when I realized I was going to be changing my last name when I got married. And it was a hard thing for me to accept, though I also couldn't imagine NOT taking my husband's last name. I was wondering how that's going for the 24 Sisters who are waiting to get their new names. I also wonder how confusing it is, at first, since they've known each other for a year now, by their baptismal names. I'd have a hard enough time remembering my own name, much less, 23 other new names! :lol:
[/quote]

Oooh, you bring up a god point!! It must be so hard remembering all of the sisters and keeping their names straight. I mean that is a huge family. An over 350 member family, thinking about it gives me a headache.

MissScripture

[quote name='HopefulBride' timestamp='1311520925' post='2274914']
Oooh, you bring up a god point!! It must be so hard remembering all of the sisters and keeping their names straight. I mean that is a huge family. An over 350 member family, thinking about it gives me a headache.
[/quote]
My sister was sooooo nervous when she first went, because she didn't know how she would remember everyone's names. I told her if she guessed that it started with "Sister Mary" she'd have a pretty good chance at being right. :hehe: It also wasn't as bad as she thought, since everyone wasn't home when they first arrived. And around Christmas, when everyone WAS home, they had a little booklet with everyone's names in it to help.

TeresaBenedicta

[quote name='Maximilianus' timestamp='1311483451' post='2274736']
Just going off my thoughts for I have no idea what I'm talking about but it seems logical to me. Or maybe dropping their title and just calling them by their religious name, kind of like how in the Marines we would call each other by our last names or by Rank and last name in public but in private some would resort to first names.
[/quote]

Funny enough, in my community, they usually drop the title in house. For example, "Sr. Mary, Joy of Martyrs" (yes, that is a sisters name LOL) is simply called "Joy" in house. Except that she is now a superior, so they call her Mother Joy. The funny one was when I was visiting for the first time and I heard somebody yell up the stairs, "Oy, Blessed Sacrament, the phone's for you!" There was a Sr. Mary, Mother of the Blessed Sacrament. :child:

[quote]Part of my sister's request has to do with the fact that certain people in our family have a hard time with her decision, and to not use her Religious name would be conducive to them taking her decision seriously. Said relatives seem to think this is just sort of a game, or something a passing phase or something. Plus, when my name was changed after getting married, she didn't still call me by my maiden name, so I have no problem not calling her by her previous name.[/quote]

I can definitely relate to this. And the more I think about it, the more I'd prefer extended family (my uncles and aunts and cousins, etc) to use my religious name. For this exact reason. But I can't imagine my parents, my brother, or my nephews and niece using my religious name.

LaPetiteSoeur

One of my very old friends (I've known her since I was a baby) came to visit me last week. I talked to her about my vocation, and we had some great discussions.

Anyway, she asked me "I can still call you (insert my name here), right?" So I'd still have all my close friends call me by my given name, and my parents, grandparents, and sister. And the future nieces and nephews (I hope my sister has children!) of course can call me Auntie C or Sister or whatever my sister decides.

I don't know about my cousins and my aunts and uncles. I only have three first cousins, so we're all close. We shall see....

MarisStella

[quote name='MissScripture' timestamp='1311476898' post='2274660']
So, my sister is a soon-to-be novice with the Nashville Dominicans. She and I discussed what my baby should call her, but never really came up with a solution. How do you refer to Religious who are related to you, or how have you heard other people do it?
[/quote]

My sister said she wants us to just call her by her baptismal name, she said it would freak her out if we called her anything else. So I guess in some cases it's just up to the person's preference. There's another family in my town whose daughter is a Nashville Dominican and I know they all call her by her baptismal name.

MarisStella

[quote name='MissScripture' timestamp='1311481729' post='2274717']
We'll all be calling her by her religious name, because that's what she wants. :) AHHH! I can't wait to find out what her new name is!!! :w00t:
[/quote]

I feel the same way! And I can't wait to see her in her habit!!!

MissScripture

[quote name='MarisStella' timestamp='1311565132' post='2275330']
I feel the same way! And I can't wait to see her in her habit!!!
[/quote]
I KNOW! Unfortunately, I most likely won't see her in real life until First Vows. :o