An Old School Catholic Message Board

Seriously, You Guys...

marigold

[quote name='nunsense' timestamp='1319422352' post='2325985']

I have had to ovecome my own negative feelings about Benedictines too. I used to equate all of them with the 'rebel nuns' and wondered why they supported Sr Joan Chittister and and Sandra Schneider who seemed to be defiant of the Vatican.

But then once upon a time I couldn't even say the name 'Jesus without cringing since I had problems with Evangelical Christians and their proseltysing. Now the name of Jesus warms my heart and fills me with love.

In a similar way, I have learned to discern the Benedictines who are 'doing their own thing' and those who have always been faithful and obedient to the magesterium. I was very intolerant, tarring all Benedictines with the same brush...

I think that it has taught me a lesson about not judging communities without first-hand information, or at least very well founded information. I suppose one could say that I am judging Srs Chittister and Schneiders but there I am going on what they have spoken and written, and I disagree with their points of view, so my opinion (although it is my own and therefore subject to dissent from others) is as well founded as I can make it without actually speaking to these sisters.

With Benedictines, they have been around so long and there are so many different communities that they can't be considered as realtively homogenous as Carmelites are. Also, Benedictines are not as strictly enclosed, so they have been influenced by the world they live in - perhaps a bit more than the Carmelites who have been a very insular institution over the years. This is changing now but it is only fairly recently that they have had so much contact with the world.

We might benefit from hearing DigitalDame's input on Benedictines as she has first hand experience as one for many years!
[/quote]

I am a pretty traditional Catholic, love habits, admire cloistered nuns tremendously, and at one time wanted to become a sister. And I did not really like Sr. Joan Chittister.
So how did I end up a Benedictine Oblate with a non-habited monastery? I met the sisters and began spending a lot of time with them. I came to appreciate Benedict's Rule, and I really came to appreciate that there is room in our Church for traditional and not-quite-traditional vowed religious. Our sisters are not-habited. But they are beautiful examples of Christ in the world. They work so hard helping the poor, the downtrodden, the marginalized members of our community. They live their lives according to the Rule, chant the Office, pray "without ceasing", and work in the community. I simply cannot imagine more joy-filled and faithful witnesses to Christ's love.
As far as Sr. Joan is concerned......I don't know. I do think that as she has aged, she has somewhat mellowed. I currently reading her book "Wisdom Distilled from the Daily" with our Obate group. And you know what? So far, I'm pretty impressed. I haven't come across much that I really disagree with. If nothing else, she makes me think and question. And perhaps that is a step toward knowledge and wisdom. Heaven knows I have lots to learn.

I'm so glad, Nunsense, that you are exploring the world of Benedict. And to everyone else, please don't discount such a beautiful order of Sisters simply because of one or two members of that group. You'll be missing a wonderful experience.

blessings and prayers for all of you lovely people, linnie

Edited by linnie

I like the Benedictines of Ephesus :) , but why am I saying this? Aren't I apart of the Carmel-problem. hahahah "The Carmelites are coming.... oh wait, they've been around since Elijah....carry on." I LOVE MY CARMIES..... :w00t:

FutureCarmeliteClaire

I am part responsible for the Carmelite epidemic. :D Ever since I got on here, I have been posting topics probably a little too much :)

IgnatiusofLoyola

[quote name='FutureCarmeliteClaire' timestamp='1319494553' post='2326464']
I am part responsible for the Carmelite epidemic. :D Ever since I got on here, I have been posting topics probably a little too much :)
[/quote]

Don't EVER apologize for posting on Carmelites! It will be encouragement for all the lurkers discerning other Orders to speak up and join the conversation.

IgnatiusofLoyola

[quote name='mme_hardy' timestamp='1319474873' post='2326256']
As a lurker I've been struck by the Phatmass emphasis on cloistered and contemplative orders; I was surprised not to see more of a presence from people discerning active orders. (Not that they aren't both good, just that Phatmassers seem to be the former rather than the latter.)
[/quote]

As I said before, VS goes in "cycles." Last summer, practically everyone discerning was discerning an active Order. Several of them entered (I think one even entered an ACTIVE Carmelite Order), so they no longer post, and a new cycle starts......We have gone through times when we can talk about nothing but the Nashville Dominicans and DominicanSoul will never let us ENTIRELY forget the DSMME's. Discerners of active Orders, time to speak up!!!

[quote name='brandelynmarie' timestamp='1319501374' post='2326561']
Wanna sammich too? :hehe:
[/quote]

Ha, someone told me that today. Because I'm a woman. I DIED LAUGHING hahaha