An Old School Catholic Message Board

Struggling Being Single

PennyLane

[quote name='scardella' timestamp='1322591029' post='2342178']
The maturity that we gained in being chaste, single adults paid off in spades when we finally met each other. I wouldn't be surprised if the ability to maintain a long-distance relationship was born out of that long quiet growth that we experienced.
[/quote]

Sounds like a fabulous thing :)

[quote name='MissMaro' timestamp='1322361167' post='2340949'] The nice [Catholic guys] I've met are usually married, in a relationship, or not that into me...[/quote]

Yep. I do realize that as I get older, it will become more and more a case of 'the good ones are taken already.'

Not that I don't think there are perfectly decent single Catholic guys my age. Of course there are! After all, I don't think that all the girls who are worth marrying are all married by my age, do I? ;)

And pining for guys who aren't ever going to fall for me is not particularly healthy or helpful, so I try to admit that to myself and move on (not that that's easy!)

But to the OP.... 8 mo being single after a painful breakup is likely a good thing. You need time to regroup and heal, time to figure out who you are. Jumping right into a new relationship without doing any of that is called being on the rebound for a reason. If you're ready, sure, go out there and try to meet people, but don't force the issue. It will happen when it will happen...or it won't. Trust in God, pray to St. Joseph, and work out your own salvation in fear and trembling.

Ever try a novena? You got St. Raphael, St. Joseph, St. Anne, St. Philomena, St. Andrew, Our Lady, and probably others.
I did a novena to St. Raphael in September, and although I didn't start dating anyone on the 9th day, God really poured out the graces He willed for me at the time and it gave me the peace I needed in staying single. Either way, the novena ended beautifully and brought a lot of peace and knowledge of God's Will.

Your husband's out there (provided you ARE called to married life) and he can use your prayers now more than anything. The power of prayer for your spouse is very powerful. Good luck!

Edited by AudreyGrace

[quote name='BigJon16' timestamp='1322361851' post='2340958']
I've always been single, until one day when I met this extremely beautiful woman named Mary. She is so amesome! She once had a baby, but remained a virgin. Crazy, right?!?! She is so blessed, especially among women. She really likes the color blue, so its REALLY easy to shop for her. And she is good at beating up Satan, when he tries to meddle his little horns into my life. I always like to tell her "Totus Tuus". She knows what it means, its like our own little inside joke. I had a medal specially made with a picture of her on it, and I wear it and never ever take it off. And she's always praying for me, because she knows I need it. She's always loving the croutons outta me, because she knows that I have a lot of croutons in me.

"...O Clement, O Pia, O Dulcis, Virgo Maria." :love:
[/quote]

This post got liked by all girls... Look at that! Mama Maria is gettin' me the ladies!

That's how it is done, fellas.

[quote name='tinytherese' timestamp='1322715424' post='2343088']
St. Anne, St. Anne, find me a man as fast as you can. :hehe2:
[/quote]
That reminds me of the prayer I learned as a kid for St. Anthony. [i]"St. Anthony, St. Anthony, look around look around, something is lost and must be found." ([/i]I'm not sure if that's a common one among other people or not).

Somebody told me that he can help people in finding their spouse. I should probably seek help from him for myself.

ContemporaryCaflicCrusader

[quote name='AudreyGrace' timestamp='1322635596' post='2342575']
Ever try a novena? You got St. Raphael, St. Joseph, St. Anne, St. Philomena, St. Andrew, Our Lady, and probably others.
I did a novena to St. Raphael in September, and although I didn't start dating anyone on the 9th day, God really poured out the graces He willed for me at the time and it gave me the peace I needed in staying single. Either way, the novena ended beautifully and brought a lot of peace and knowledge of God's Will.

Your husband's out there (provided you ARE called to married life) and he can use your prayers now more than anything. The power of prayer for your spouse is very powerful. Good luck!
[/quote]

I've been praying the St. Rapheal's novena to find her lots longer than since September. Good idea though I know ppl it's worked for... just not me yet.

Also- it helps to not look at guys as "potential future husbands", but instead as brothers in Christ. When we see a guy, our first reaction shouldn't be something like, "he's so cute oh my gosh i want him to want to be my boyfriend if he's taken i'll die, why am i single? i hate my life, men need to step up to the plate already, etc. etc. etc." Instead, we should look at guys as our brothers in Christ and do whatever we can to lead them closer to God firstly in a non-intimate way. Us girls complain that guys need to affirm our womanhood, compliment us, pursue us, and whatever else, but it goes both ways. We have to affirm them in their manhood- and that means praying for them that they become the [u]men [/u]God wants them to be.

Thank you all for the prayers and words of encouragement.

If a man discerns appropriate in the seminary is one thing, but being afraid to commit to a vocation (or anything) is another :)

I'll keep on truckin - I was having a down moment last week. Moments like those motivate me to attend the young adult groups, go to adoration, etc.

In other news, I LOVE BEING CATHOLIC. yay.

LinaSt.Cecilia2772

Jackie Francois is a great speaker that i have to privelege of hearing at a steubenville conference this past summer. She has an amesome youtube channel where I found this video. She is very relatable and accurate in how to deal with the ache of singlehood. Hope it helps!

[url="http://youtu.be/myIfGdNt1AY"]http://youtu.be/myIfGdNt1AY[/url]

[quote name='AudreyGrace' timestamp='1322895741' post='2344000']
Also- it helps to not look at guys as "potential future husbands", but instead as brothers in Christ. When we see a guy, our first reaction shouldn't be something like, "he's so cute oh my gosh i want him to want to be my boyfriend if he's taken i'll die, why am i single? i hate my life, men need to step up to the plate already, etc. etc. etc." Instead, we should look at guys as our brothers in Christ and do whatever we can to lead them closer to God firstly in a non-intimate way. Us girls complain that guys need to affirm our womanhood, compliment us, pursue us, and whatever else, but it goes both ways. We have to affirm them in their manhood- and that means praying for them that they become the [u]men [/u]God wants them to be.
[/quote]

couldn't have said it better myself.

[quote name='LinaSt.Cecilia2772' timestamp='1322943067' post='2344123']
Jackie Francois is a great speaker that i have to privelege of hearing at a steubenville conference this past summer. She has an amesome youtube channel where I found this video. She is very relatable and accurate in how to deal with the ache of singlehood. Hope it helps!

[url="http://youtu.be/myIfGdNt1AY"]http://youtu.be/myIfGdNt1AY[/url]
[/quote]

She ignores the facts that God created marriage because He said that "it is not good for the man to be alone" and that St. Paul, in the very same chapter in which he stated that the unmarried can devote more effort to the Lord than the married, also stated that to avoid immoralty, everyone should have their own spouse, as well as CCC 1603 which states that the vocation to marriage is written into our very nature by God Himself. It's unfortunate that these days, singles "ministry" in the Catholic Church is either dominated by bitter divorced women (one Catholic singles event I attended years ago could have been a commercial for extra strength Midol) and/or by people who have fallen for the lesbian/feminazi/career woman agenda (the whole "you don't need a spouse/children to be fulfilled" line, as well as others that are anti-biblical). It goes to kill the male drive to pursue, or many males have to seek wives outside the Church or wiith unfaithful Catholic women, with risky/disastrous results in that they may fall away from the Church.

I think that the best comment on You Tube for that video was the following:

[quote]
A powerful verse in Genesis comes to mind about leaving our parents and uniting with the opposite sex and becoming one flesh. Unless of course you're lucky enough to answer an authentic call to the religious life. As single people, let's be aware of selfishness and ego/pride that may prevent us from intimacy and union with another through marriage.[/quote]

Edited by Norseman82

[quote name='AudreyGrace' timestamp='1322895741' post='2344000']
[/quote]

And that is how people get stuck in the "friends zone".