An Old School Catholic Message Board

A Secret All Women Should Know

PhuturePriest

Also I just have to say, if you have a problem with a woman proposing to her husband then you need to do some more study on the vocation of marriage. From what teacher are you absorbing these ideas? I'm not that familiar with Chastity Speakers (TM) so I don't know much about Jason Evert, but does he really say a girl can't "propose" to her boyfriend? I didn't do this but I know girls who did. The Church has NO problem with this. These are all CULTURAL ideas you have, they don't reflect doctrinal teaching.

Marriage is about two mature adults discerning together whether they are called to live out their vocation with each other. While most men prefer to propose themselves, I don't know any who would describe such a situation as emasculating. They would just be happy to be engaged to someone they love and on the path to living their vocation! What if a woman tells her husband she doesn't feel ready to have a second child right away? What if she decides she wants to work after having kids? Or stay home? Or wants to keep control of her own bank account? Are these emasculating choices because they were her choices or choices they made as a couple, not leaving it up to the man?

[quote name='FuturePriest387' timestamp='1329684079' post='2389513']

Charity is being nice but firm. If you made an ignorant statement about Priests and little boys, would it be more charitable to say "Shut up, you stupid scum!" or to rationally handle the situation with firm charity?

I'm not saying anyone called me scum, but I think each and every one of us here needs to work on charity.
[/quote]

Nope. Pretty sure mine was the definition of charity. :)

http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/09397a.htm

I am by no means a church scholar, but it's a bit off a hobby of mine and I've taken 6 theology classes at the college level and had to write several papers on charity.

Being nice but firm is a nice thought, but it doesn't capture the depth and beauty of the virtue.

[quote name='FuturePriest387' timestamp='1329675348' post='2389403']Guys, imagine you were on a date with the girl of your dreams. You've been dating for two years, and you couldn't possibly love a human being more than you love this girl. You go on a walk on the beach, and she starts to talk about how she loves you, and wants to spend the rest of her life with you, and then she gets down on one knee, offers a ring and asks you to marry her. As Jason Evert says, the entire concept is so emasculating. Why? Because the man is the initiator. It's his role. When a woman takes the man's role, he feels emasculated.
[/quote]
While in my ideal world I'd be the one proposing, I think I'd be so happy to be spending the rest of my life with the girl of my dreams that I wouldn't really care which one of us did the proposing. The detail of who puts their knee on the ground seems pretty trivial in light of that.

[quote]You have a superb sense of humor that will be most welcome here if you move back and realize WHY you have become so controversial. [/quote]

i definitely agree with this. the few times you have posted with humor, have been amesome. :like:

Archaeology cat

[quote name='USAirwaysIHS' timestamp='1329685582' post='2389533']

While in my ideal world I'd be the one proposing, I think I'd be so happy to be spending the rest of my life with the girl of my dreams that I wouldn't really care which one of us did the proposing. The detail of who puts their knee on the ground seems pretty trivial in light of that.
[/quote]By the time the couple gets to that point, they've probably been talking about it and know they're headed that way anyway, or at least we were like that. He did propose, but we'd talked about things and knew our relationship was headed that way.

Archaeology cat

FP - I do want to say that I am impressed that you think of these things and are willing to accept correction and such. It's an important lesson, and I think many are older than you when they really learn it, so it's wonderful you're getting there now.

PhuturePriest

[quote name='LinaSt.Cecilia2772' timestamp='1329684600' post='2389520']
I don't mean to be rude, but you my friend need to work on charity as well. Read your posts before you post them, that would be one of the most charitable things you could do on Phatmass.
[/quote]

Notice how I said "each and every one of us", including me.

PhuturePriest

[quote name='Lil Red' timestamp='1329685617' post='2389534']
i definitely agree with this. the few times you have posted with humor, have been amesome. :like:
[/quote]

Few times? This is because if I made one of my famous one-liners every time I posted, people would die of laughter. So I do believe a "thank you" is in order. :P

[quote name='FuturePriest387' timestamp='1329687830' post='2389566'] Few times? This is because if I made one of my famous one-liners every time I posted, people would die of laughter. So I do believe a "thank you" is in order. :P [/quote]

i'm not omniscient! I can't read all the posts all the time! :P

oh, and you're welcome. :hehe:

IcePrincessKRS

[quote name='Lil Red' timestamp='1329687889' post='2389569']
i'm not omniscient! I can't read all the posts all the time! :P

oh, and you're welcome. :hehe:
[/quote]

You're NOT? Well poo, you just totally burst my bubble. Thanks a lot.

[quote name='IcePrincessKRS' timestamp='1329688671' post='2389582']
You're NOT? Well poo, you just totally burst my bubble. Thanks a lot.
[/quote]
darnit, i shouldn't have said anything. now no one will take me seriously anymore! :cry:

[quote name='IcePrincessKRS' timestamp='1329623012' post='2389176']
Yeah.... I think the only thing I can wholeheartedly agree with in the OP is don't wear too much perfume.
[/quote]

I get nausea and migraines when I'm around people who are wearing so much perfume that I can smell it from a few feet away. Only wear that much perfume if you are trying to be modest, and by that I mean, trying not to have any interaction with anyone, not just the opposite sex.

[quote name='Archaeology cat' timestamp='1329686473' post='2389550']
FP - I do want to say that I am impressed that you think of these things and are willing to accept correction and such. It's an important lesson, and I think many are older than you when they really learn it, so it's wonderful you're getting there now.
[/quote]
Yeah, he strikes me as opinionated with some wacky opinions, but not someone who has closed himself off to learning more about reality. We can all learn from each other if we can overlook the things that annoy us about one another, I think. It's especially hard to do that online, though, since the only mode of self-expression is the keyboard (which is very lacking, as we've all experienced).

IcePrincessKRS

[quote name='Totus Tuus' timestamp='1329692100' post='2389620']
I get nausea and migraines when I'm around people who are wearing so much perfume that I can smell it from a few feet away. Only wear that much perfume if you are trying to be modest, and by that I mean, trying not to have any interaction with anyone, not just the opposite sex.
[/quote]

I only wear body sprays because I find most perfumes so heavy that even on myself only a couple spritzes gets nauseating.

Honestly, though, usually (in my experience) the worst culprits are men. They wash using something strongly scented like Axe body wash and then wear a strongly scented deodorant, and then top it off with an unhealthy dose of cologne. I've walked past dudes that leave me gasping for fresh air.

PhuturePriest

[quote name='Totus Tuus' timestamp='1329692258' post='2389622']
Yeah, he strikes me as opinionated with some wacky opinions, but not someone who has closed himself off to learning more about reality. We can all learn from each other if we can overlook the things that annoy us about one another, I think. It's especially hard to do that online, though, since the only mode of self-expression is the keyboard (which is very lacking, as we've all experienced).
[/quote]

Wacky opinions? You have both emasculated me and destroyed me as a person. I hope the warm loving Sisters can thaw out the coldness of your heart while you're living with them. :P

Edited by FuturePriest387