An Old School Catholic Message Board

A Secret All Women Should Know

PhuturePriest

PhuturePriest

I am disappointed. Apparently, if I don't accidentally make controversial posts, my threads die. I need to say something to save this thing...

Women were made for men!

There. Now that I've said something that is actually true but worded in a controversial way, I have surely saved this thing from the cold depths of loneliness.

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='BG45' timestamp='1329627686' post='2389267']
Seven minutes without a post to this thread. I know Red went to Adoration, but do the other mods go to bed at midnight EST?
[/quote] :getaclue: :)

IcePrincessKRS

[quote name='BG45' timestamp='1329627686' post='2389267']
Seven minutes without a post to this thread. I know Red went to Adoration, but do the other mods go to bed at midnight EST?
[/quote]

Well, since I live in the EST zone, yes.

LinaSt.Cecilia2772

[quote name='Sister Marie' timestamp='1329625575' post='2389226']
Maybe it's strange for me to be replying to this topic because I'm a nun and obviously not looking for a romantic partner HOWEVER I am a woman and I am definitely against this point of view of women so I feel that I must speak. In addition to that, VS was brought up as a better place to post this and I disagree because I do not think the women there need to worry about trying to please men, or 15 year old boys, rather than God.

It's fine if you like it in 1950 - you might find some women who also like 1950 quite well... but we are now in 2012. The same thing happened in 1950... there were a lot of people who probably liked 1900 better and that was fine but it just wasn't 1900 anymore and so on and so on for all of history.

Women are NOT subject to the whims of men. God did not create us to morph into your dream of the perfect woman. He created us as complex and wonderful human beings with feelings, thoughts, desires, needs, wants, and intelligence. You are perfectly entitled to your opinion but I personally, as a woman, find it offensive the way you present yourself as the be all and end all authority of the preferences of all men. Whether or not this is what you meant - it is the way you came across. Women do not exist to satisfy men but to satisfy God - He is the authority alone. The idea that there is a "secret" that you have that we all must be educated in in order to find a perfect man is ridiculous. We, as women, should be free to be ourselves, the persons God made us to be, and to be successful, passionate, hard working, and to be women who take initiative in our lives.

I do not mean to be harsh (this is actually quite moderate considering the other comments I could think of but chose not to make) but I think you need to hear a, or many, true reactions to what you have just said. Words have power and are not something to be cavalier about.

It has been said that if you truly desire to be a priest this is going to be a huge problem - those people are correct. I am not trying to be mean but IF you were a priest and said something like this you absolutely would turn many people away from the Church - not because you were preaching the truth - but because the pride and lack of thought for others that you have exhibited communicates to people that the Church does not care for them but for outdated and inconsequential ideals (obviously I am not talking about dogma but your own personal preferences.).

This thread is more of a personal ad than anything else. I do hope that you realize all I have said here is offered not to make you feel bad but to let you know that your comments are offensive and maybe you need to take a step back, find a responsible adult, and work through some issues before you post something like this again. I was happy when you conceded in your last thread. It showed a lot of maturity... but then you started this one.

I will be praying for you and I wish you the best. Please do try to keep an open mind and heart so that God can continue to transform you as He is continually doing for all of us.

Peace and prayers,

Sister Marie
[/quote]

I like this post A LOT. You are an amesome nun.

LinaSt.Cecilia2772

Oh I want to add my two cents on the matter. I didn't get to read all of the replies, so if I repeat something then I apologize.

Its very short and sweet.

If you (Futurepriest) want people to be nice and charitable, post nice, charitable, and appropriate things on your threads that won't ruffle feathers. You are only fifteen, and like I said to you in a thread you made in VS, you need to relax, let yourself be fifteen, and don't rush anything. There is still a lot about the world and your vocation that you haven't learned yet. I'm seventeen, I thought I knew it all and closed my mind. But i can promise you and say this from personal experience that a lot of my views have changed since I was your age. You can't cut yourself off to what is out there. I think it's great that you want to be a priest, I think its good that you have a vision for yourself. But like I said before, you can't cut yourself off from everything else if it isn't necessarily what you think or believe. Some of the best priests that I ever met are priests that have a wide view and open mind about things. Priests jobs are to help lead the Church's people to holiness no matter what circumstances some of these people are in. If you dont see what it's like to be on the other side, you can't do much to help them to holiness.

I'm praying for you. Let God do His thing in your life, He may surprise you.

missionseeker

[quote name='FuturePriest387' timestamp='1329623794' post='2389192']
I actually wanted to touch on this. I do not mean giving any sort of interest is bad. You can show in some way that you are interested, I simply don't advise initiating the relationship. If the man is afraid, you can in subtle ways show him you are interested, which will boost his confidence and lead him to ask you. I'm simply saying don't flirt (As men shouldn't) and don't say "Hey, wanna go out?" Some men are okay with this, but I personally would be absolutely mortified if this happened to me.
[/quote]

Ok, I am confused. If flirting is bad, and saying "hey wanna go out?" is outright dreadful, how do you express interest? I say this in all seriousness, because without one or both of those things happening, I do not understand HOW a girl can show interest. Besides what, making him a sandwich?
[quote name='FuturePriest387' timestamp='1329624897' post='2389209']
Here's my problem with Open Mic: You just said I am on fire for my faith. Had I said that, I would've been told that I was proud and conceited. If I make a good post in line with Catholic teaching, I'm critiqued because I didn't say it up to par. I have an opinion, it gets shot down for one reason or another. I'd like to openly state my opinions without the fear of getting into a crusade. If I'm asking too much, perhaps I'm on the wrong site entirely?

Jamie was correct when he proposed I might not be able to nuance my posts very well because I was on my iPod. When I'm on my iPod, I simply say what I have to say without much clarification because it takes so long to write. My opening post took around fifteen minutes to write. I wanted to add more, but by the end of it I had forgotten quite a bit, I was too tired of writing, and I had to say the Rosary. My posts could be more presentable, but my iPod is stupid and makes constant auto-corrects that are actually incorrect. I've stated showing that you're interested first is okay, so I'm not sure what the problem even is anymore. That was the main complaint, and it's been addressed as of now, so everything should be fine.
[/quote]

Rhetoric is a super important subject. People have spent YEARS studying this. I honestly think that you should just stop blaming what you say on your ipod, and simply think before you post. "Is this said with charity and clarity?"
"Could someone misinterpret this?" Perhaps at the before you wrote this post you should have said to yourself "If I was a woman who wore makeup everyday, what would I think if someone said that it makes me unnattractive and seem like I have no self confidence" It's a small thing but it will help.

[quote name='FuturePriest387' timestamp='1329625523' post='2389225']
I don't enjoy flirting because 99% of the time it is sinful. When flirting comes to mind, I think of lustful statements and men and women leading each other on. When I say "show your interested" I do mean what would be considered as flirting, but in the good, non-lustful way.

And I disagree. Flirting is not harmless good fun. You don't just walk around flirting with random people. It's lustful most of the time, which makes it dangerous and sinful. Perhaps my idea of what flirting is is not what everyone else here thinks flirting is?
[/quote]

I flirt with lots of random people, but I can't imagine how that would be lustful...

[quote name='USAirwaysIHS' timestamp='1329626100' post='2389239']
For the record - I don't think Jim Bob or Michelle would ever let one of their lovely gals date a Mary-worshippin Papist.
[/quote]

They were at my school, had dinner with a couple of my friends. I don't know.. there is a possibility...

Edited by missionseeker

[quote name='missionseeker' timestamp='1329634175' post='2389295']
They were at my school, had dinner with a couple of my friends. I don't know.. there is a possibility...
[/quote]
Why didn't you call me? Ave is not that far from Gainesville...

missionseeker

well I didn't know until I walked by Jim Bob and Jinger and Jessa and Josh and John David. :| like.. woah.

I also don't have your number, or I so would have texted you...?

PhuturePriest

[quote name='LinaSt.Cecilia2772' timestamp='1329629561' post='2389278']
Oh I want to add my two cents on the matter. I didn't get to read all of the replies, so if I repeat something then I apologize.

Its very short and sweet.

If you (Futurepriest) want people to be nice and charitable, post nice, charitable, and appropriate things on your threads that won't ruffle feathers. You are only fifteen, and like I said to you in a thread you made in VS, you need to relax, let yourself be fifteen, and don't rush anything. There is still a lot about the world and your vocation that you haven't learned yet. I'm seventeen, I thought I knew it all and closed my mind. But i can promise you and say this from personal experience that a lot of my views have changed since I was your age. You can't cut yourself off to what is out there. I think it's great that you want to be a priest, I think its good that you have a vision for yourself. But like I said before, you can't cut yourself off from everything else if it isn't necessarily what you think or believe. Some of the best priests that I ever met are priests that have a wide view and open mind about things. Priests jobs are to help lead the Church's people to holiness no matter what circumstances some of these people are in. If you dont see what it's like to be on the other side, you can't do much to help them to holiness.

I'm praying for you. Let God do His thing in your life, He may surprise you.
[/quote]

Well, I agree. I don't know everything, and seeing as how it's never been done before, I never will. I have had my opinions changed tons of times. I used to think if a Religious didn't wear a Habit, they were bad. However, I learned that some Religious Orders were told not to by their founders for one reason or another. I am still a huge advocate for the Habit, and I am always turned off when a Community doesn't wear one (I have a link that can explain the reason for that in great length in case anyone reads that and thinks I want this for the wrong reasons), but when I see a Religious without a Habit, the first thought that comes to mind isn't "Liberal reformer..." but rather, "Oh razzle dazzle, a Religious!"

But really, I do have an open mind, and I do constantly change my opinion of things just a little bit. In some ways I have completely changed. A few years ago, I was all for the Iraq war, preemptive strikes, torture, and any means necessary to win a war. Now, I've given my loyalty to the Church and the Pope, and I agree that all of these things are unjust. So those are just a few ways I've changed. However, there are times when I need to work on myself. When I realize that I'm nothing more than a sorry excuse of a man that has a billion problems and only a lifetime to work on them. Hopefully the Franciscans or Seminary can beat half of these out of me, and I can spend the rest of my life working on the other half.