An Old School Catholic Message Board

A Secret All Women Should Know

PhuturePriest

MissScripture

[quote name='FuturePriest387' timestamp='1329680730' post='2389475']
Never do I say I hide behind a machine. In fact, I even implied I say my opinions in public, just not so bravely. There is a difference.

And actually, I would be treated much better. I wouldn't have people making fun of me the whole time, and they wouldn't even be yelling. They would be rationally telling me what I did wrong, and would tell me to try again. Or, this is my experience in life, anyway. Some people haven't been charitable to me in life, but that doesn't mean it's acceptable. We must be charitable to everyone, no matter what. So far in Open Mic, I haven't been treated very charitably. At times I deserved to be treated uncharitably, but this does [i]not [/i]mean you should treat me uncharitably. Every time I've been called on for doing something wrong, I didn't even know I did something wrong. People are yelling and critizing me for doing things I didn't know was wrong. God doesn't put me in Hell for doing things I didn't know were sins, so perhaps people should make sure I didn't know before criticizing me?
[/quote]
People have tried pointing out what the issue with your posts were. People have consistently explained that you need to work on the presentation of your ideas, so that you are not misunderstood. Who has been yelling? People have gotten frustrated, because their attempts at explaining to you where you are going wrong have been met with excuses about using your ipod and accusations that people don't want to listen to you because of your age. However, I don't think anyone is "yelling." While people have different styles, some more direct, and maybe perceived as harsher than others, most of the people are really just trying to make it clear what is wrong with what you've said.

IcePrincessKRS

[quote name='MissScripture' timestamp='1329682181' post='2389483']
People have tried pointing out what the issue with your posts were. People have consistently explained that you need to work on the presentation of your ideas, so that you are not misunderstood. Who has been yelling? People have gotten frustrated, because their attempts at explaining to you where you are going wrong have been met with excuses about using your ipod and accusations that people don't want to listen to you because of your age. However, I don't think anyone is "yelling." While people have different styles, some more direct, and maybe perceived as harsher than others, most of the people are really just trying to make it clear what is wrong with what you've said.
[/quote]

I was just typing something along the same lines when you posted this. I concur. I've seen disagreement and advice, but definitely no yelling. There may be as much difficulty in perceiving nuance in the written word as there has been in utilizing it.

PhuturePriest

[quote name='MissScripture' timestamp='1329682181' post='2389483']
[/quote]

Well, the way one perceives something is far stronger than what someone actually says or means. I didn't present my posts correctly, but I do feel that not everyone here has been charitable. As I said to Sister, I didn't know what I said was wrong. I said the things I did because

1) I didn't know I said anything controversial (Save for society's norms) and
2) I figured everyone would generally agree. When they didn't, I expected people to say something like "I mostly agree, but I'm not sure about the make-up part. Are you saying make-up itself is bad, or am I perceiving this wrong?" I didn't expect people to be smacking their heads and all of this to cause controversy. I thought my views were pretty well common among good Catholic circles. They are, but I simply didn't present it right. Presentation is key, and I know that now. Thank you all for explaining this to me.

FutureCarmeliteClaire

[quote name='EmilyAnn' timestamp='1329678132' post='2389439']
Kind of a change of tune from "[color=#282828]I absolutely hate all make-up". [/color]
[/quote]
He just looooves those Duggar girls. :P

PhuturePriest

[quote name='FutureCarmeliteClaire' timestamp='1329683290' post='2389501']
He just looooves those Duggar girls. :P
[/quote]

Well, again, I didn't word it right. I do generally hate make-up that distracts from your natural look, but if it's only a little bit and doesn't transform your look I don't mind.

Also, just so we're clear: Jesus, acting in all charity, as charity, did make quite the mess overturning tables in the Temple. :|

cmotherofpirl

Seriously people, he is a 15 year old kid. Stop asking him to pretend to be a female or have the "maturity" of a college kid or the experience of an adult before he posts. He can't - his brain isn't there yet for probably another 5- 10 years Try meeting him where HE is instead of insisting he meet your expectations of where you think he should be.
I really expect more of my phatmassers, or wait, all of you were hatched out perfectly mature....

FutureCarmeliteClaire

[quote name='FuturePriest387' timestamp='1329683376' post='2389503']
Well, again, I didn't word it right. I do generally hate make-up that distracts from your natural look, but if it's only a little bit and doesn't transform your look I don't mind.
[/quote]
I know, man, I was just kidding.

PhuturePriest

[quote name='Deus_te_Amat' timestamp='1329683496' post='2389505']
Also, just so we're clear: Jesus, acting in all charity, as charity, did make quite the mess overturning tables in the Temple. :|
[/quote]

Yes, but just so we're clear, they were desecrating the Temple. There's a difference between desecrating the Temple and not presenting posts correctly.

As a 27 year old married woman, I want to say thank you, fifteen year old boy who has never been on a date in his life, for the romantic advice. ;) As you grow you will understand why people are giving you a bit of a hard time ;)

According to my mother, correct practice is for hemlines to stay low through the 12th year, and after age 12, they rise to just below the knee. They come down again for your wedding day and on other special formal occasions, but otherwise a woman only draws attention to herself by wearing hemlines that are very long or very short.

PhuturePriest

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' timestamp='1329683560' post='2389506']
Seriously people, he is a 15 year old kid. Stop asking him to pretend to be a female or have the "maturity" of a college kid or the experience of an adult before he posts. He can't - his brain isn't there yet for probably another 5- 10 years Try meeting him where HE is instead of insisting he meet your expectations of where you think he should be.
I really expect more of my phatmassers, or wait, all of you were hatched out perfectly mature....
[/quote]

Actually, during puberty, there are a few problems we have. First, we have what I think is called black and white syndrome, where we make things simpler than they should be. Also, we have invisible spotlight syndrome, which means we think people are more interested in us than they really are. This is because the brain is not fully developed yet. Because of this, I wouldn't be surprised if we read more into comments or statements than is necessary.

Edited by FuturePriest387

[quote name='FuturePriest387' timestamp='1329683668' post='2389508']

Yes, but just so we're clear, they were desecrating the Temple. There's a difference between desecrating the Temple and not presenting posts correctly.
[/quote]

My point was that charity is not synonymous with "feel good touchy feely" mush. Charity is desiring Union with God and desiring the same for one's neighbor.

PhuturePriest

[quote name='Deus_te_Amat' timestamp='1329683894' post='2389512']
My point was that charity is not synonymous with "feel good touchy feely" mush. Charity is desiring Union with God and desiring the same for one's neighbor.
[/quote]

Charity is being nice but firm. If you made an ignorant statement about Priests and little boys, would it be more charitable to say "Shut up, you stupid scum!" or to rationally handle the situation with firm charity?

I'm not saying anyone called me scum, but I think each and every one of us here needs to work on charity.

Edited by FuturePriest387

FutureCarmeliteClaire

[quote name='FuturePriest387' timestamp='1329683779' post='2389511']
Actually, during puberty, there are a few problems we have. [b]First, we have what I think is called black and white syndrome, where we make things simpler than they should be[/b]. Also, we have invisible spotlight syndrome, which means we think people are more interested in us than they really are. This is because the brain is not fully developed yet. Because of this, I wouldn't be surprised if we read more into comments or statements than is necessary.
[/quote]
If you check out my post in your other thread, I don't think that the "black and white syndrome" of which you speak, is not actually a problem for many things, but can cause us problems when interacting with other people.

LinaSt.Cecilia2772

[quote name='FuturePriest387' timestamp='1329684079' post='2389513']
I'm not saying anyone called me scum, but I think each and every one of us here needs to work on charity.
[/quote]

I don't mean to be rude, but you my friend need to work on charity as well. Read your posts before you post them, that would be one of the most charitable things you could do on Phatmass.