An Old School Catholic Message Board

A Secret All Women Should Know

PhuturePriest

[quote name='FuturePriest387' timestamp='1329714984' post='2389860']
Well, my Diocese is made of money.
[/quote]
Grab me a fistful next time you go to mass!

FP I don't think you should put all your eggs in one basket. Do you have some ideas what you would like to do if God is NOT calling you to the priesthood?

[quote name='Maggie' timestamp='1329742015' post='2389918']
FP I don't think you should put all your eggs in one basket. Do you have some ideas what you would like to do if God is NOT calling you to the priesthood?
[/quote]

Excellent post! I am young, and extremely open to anything God wants me to do! I feel, that before entering the priesthood/nunnery all young 'uns should at least go out on a few dates, go to a dance...etc. so that if they enter and realize it really isn't where God wants them to be, they know how to act and are prepared I guess you could say. :)

Edited by i<3LSOP

[quote name='i<3LSOP' timestamp='1329743885' post='2389925']
Excellent post! I am young, and extremely open to anything God wants me to do! I feel, that before entering the priesthood/nunnery all young 'uns should at least go out on a few dates, go to a dance...etc. so that if they enter and realize it really isn't where God wants them to be, they know how to act and are prepared I guess you could say. :)
[/quote]

Sometimes I forget you're so young, you have some amazing insights. It's true that it is important, and I think especially for those who are younger, to keep an open mind. It's easy to get stuck in one idea and refuse to be open to other things out of pride. I've done exactly that because I was too scared and had too much pride.

PhuturePriest

[quote name='i<3LSOP' timestamp='1329743885' post='2389925']
[/quote]

Well, I do believe I know a man that believes this way of thinking is wrong: [url="http://franciscanbrothersminor.com/FBM/Discernment_Part_X_-_Age_Discrimination.html"]http://franciscanbro...rimination.html[/url]

Edited by FuturePriest387

Basilisa Marie

[quote name='FuturePriest387' timestamp='1329754120' post='2389995']
Well, I do believe I know a man that believes this way of thinking is wrong: [url="http://franciscanbrothersminor.com/FBM/Discernment_Part_X_-_Age_Discrimination.html"]http://franciscanbro...rimination.html[/url]
[/quote]

That's not "putting off" the call, though. It's going it a dance and maybe a few dates WHILE you're also searching for an order. It's being fully open to God's will, even if that will doesn't end up being what you think it should be.

PhuturePriest

[quote name='Basilisa Marie' timestamp='1329754506' post='2389999']
That's not "putting off" the call, though. It's going it a dance and maybe a few dates WHILE you're also searching for an order. It's being fully open to God's will, even if that will doesn't end up being what you think it should be.
[/quote]

Well, I'm pretty much no longer looking. The Franciscan Brothers Minor are exactly what I've been looking for: holy men that live the real way Saint Francis did. They not only claim they do, they live it, and it's self-evident. Father David Mary thinks exactly the same way I do about things, and I love the Community. Here is more by him that is more direct: http://franciscanbrothersminor.com/FBM/Discernment_Part_VIII.html

PhuturePriest

Notice how he says that with Jesus, there was no "Go, experience life first, then come, follow me." As he points out, the only time he told someone to put it off just a little while longer is when he told the rich man to get rid of his possessions. I'm not very attracted to marriage, and I have no interest in going out on a date. I'll go out on a date if the Religious life doesn't work out, but until further notice, or unless I feel a real call in the opposite direction, I have my sights on the Religious life.

Edited by FuturePriest387

LinaSt.Cecilia2772

I agree with what everyone is saying here. You can't completely cut yourself off from everything besides the priesthood. In order for God to completely work in your life you have to have a bit of docility to mold you into the man he wants you to be. Without that, you aren't letting yourself completely be open to His will, and you're not letting yourself truly be a man of God. You can't be a true man of God without Him, and in order to be with Him you have to be open to whatever it is He's calling you to, and it may or may not be the preisthood. Docility, pray for docility.

AND have you ever heard of financial aid for college? If you work your butt off in school and get the grades you could be eligible for fifty bagillion scholarships and maybe a few grants. Just pointing out some options. Some very poor people in this country have worked really hard and made it through college, don't make the excuse of not being able to afford it. many priests I know have various degrees, and in my opinion it helps them for their benefit to connect better with the working people of their congregation.

Just more things to consider. Don't cut yourself off.

[quote name='MissMaro' timestamp='1329619625' post='2389137']
I guess this is why relatively few dating books are written by fifteen year-olds who never even plan on dating...
[/quote]

So priests can't write about marriage?

MissScripture

[quote name='Papist' timestamp='1329757848' post='2390039']
So priests can't write about marriage?
[/quote]
I don't know any 15 year old priests. :|

missionseeker

[quote name='FuturePriest387' timestamp='1329754966' post='2390005']
Notice how he says that with Jesus, there was no "Go, experience life first, then come, follow me." As he points out, the only time he told someone to put it off just a little while longer is when he told the rich man to get rid of his possessions. I'm not very attracted to marriage, and I have no interest in going out on a date. I'll go out on a date if the Religious life doesn't work out, but until further notice, or unless I feel a real call in the opposite direction, I have my sights on the Religious life.
[/quote]
[quote name='LinaSt.Cecilia2772' timestamp='1329755851' post='2390016']
I agree with what everyone is saying here. You can't completely cut yourself off from everything besides the priesthood. In order for God to completely work in your life you have to have a bit of docility to mold you into the man he wants you to be. Without that, you aren't letting yourself completely be open to His will, and you're not letting yourself truly be a man of God. You can't be a true man of God without Him, and in order to be with Him you have to be open to whatever it is He's calling you to, and it may or may not be the preisthood. Docility, pray for docility.

AND have you ever heard of financial aid for college? If you work your butt off in school and get the grades you could be eligible for fifty bagillion scholarships and maybe a few grants. Just pointing out some options. Some very poor people in this country have worked really hard and made it through college, don't make the excuse of not being able to afford it. many priests I know have various degrees, and in my opinion it helps them for their benefit to connect better with the working people of their congregation.

Just more things to consider. Don't cut yourself off.
[/quote]

I had little help, and paid for college while I mead less than $5K a year. Almost all of that went to bills, and the little leftover went to food, but she's right. God works things out. Often, not in the way we think He's going to.

[quote name='MissScripture' timestamp='1329758266' post='2390045']
I don't know any 15 year old priests. :|
[/quote]

MM's statement is fallacious. If it is not, then one can't speak on anything not experienced in. A divorce counselor must be divorced, AA facilitator must be an alcoholic, etc.