An Old School Catholic Message Board

Opposite Sex Housemates

EmilyAnn

[quote name='Papist' timestamp='1334589671' post='2418695']
Thanks for the tip. Are you usually this opprobrious.
[/quote]
If that means "amesome", then the answer is "yes".

[quote name='Winchester' timestamp='1334589956' post='2418699']
I don't have a good argument to defend it. Might have a few years ago when I was reading moral theology, but I think you should reflect on it, some more. One cannot be fenced in by fear of scandal from reasonable actions, of course.
[/quote]

You have always been one of my favorites, my brother. I will do so.

[quote name='kujo' timestamp='1334590119' post='2418702']
You have always been one of my favorites, my brother. I will do so.
[/quote]
I love you, too, Chewie.

[quote name='MissScripture' timestamp='1334587856' post='2418676']
Well, we are supposed to avoid near occasions of sin, but I don't see how not doing so could be a sin, or it couldn't be a near occasion of sin since it would be a sin. And since a near occasion of sin isn't a sin, I wouldn't think it could be as dangerous to the soul as an actual sin. Obviously, it's not a good idea to create near occasions of sin, and I'm not even saying that living with someone of the opposite sex is a good idea if not married, just that it's not anywhere near the same category as committing adultery, which is clearly sinful.
[/quote]
eh.. i can agree with that.

[quote name='Winchester' timestamp='1334590081' post='2418701']
If that means "amesome", then the answer is "yes".
[/quote]
In some cultures it does mean that.

[quote name='Papist' timestamp='1334590817' post='2418706']
In some cultures it does mean that.
[/quote]
Language is also morally neutral.

HisChildForever

[quote name='FuturePriest387' timestamp='1334359869' post='2417393']
If you're a woman and you trust the man you're living with you're kidding yourself.
[/quote]

You're kidding yourself if you think all men are pigs. My boyfriend and I shared a hotel room recently for a long weekend and -gasp- he was the perfect gentleman.

There are couples (and opposite sex friends) out there who know how to control themselves and respect each other. Not every person is a slave to his (or her) sex drive like you want to believe. Have a little more faith in humanity, geez.

HisChildForever

[quote name='FuturePriest387' timestamp='1334551117' post='2418539']
A fifty-five year old woman is hardly two young people sharing an apartment together, which is what we have all been talking about.
[/quote]

What, you've never heard of a cougar?

PhuturePriest

[quote name='HisChildForever' timestamp='1334599715' post='2418779']
You're kidding yourself if you think all men are pigs. My boyfriend and I shared a hotel room recently for a long weekend and -gasp- he was the perfect gentleman.

There are couples (and opposite sex friends) out there who know how to control themselves and respect each other. Not every person is a slave to his (or her) sex drive like you want to believe. Have a little more faith in humanity, geez.
[/quote]

I didn't phrase that the way I wanted to, first of all. I'm simply saying you shouldn't be stupid. My friend used to sleep in the same bed with her boyfriend and snuggle in the dark because she trusted him totally. What do you think was running through his mind on these occasions? Besides, sharing the same hotel room without supervision has been said to be a very bad idea from many Priests, including Father Vincent Serpa, O.P., from Catholic Answers, and Father John Flynn from XT3.com.

PhuturePriest

Here's a link from a theologian on the matter: [url="http://forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=639515&highlight=Sharing+Room+With+Boyfriend"]http://forums.cathol... With Boyfriend[/url]

And advice from a Priest: http://www.xt3.com/discussion/thread.php?id=12984 He doesn't directly explain why, but note how he doesn't say "I don't see what the problem is. This is completely fine."

Edited by FuturePriest387

HisChildForever

[quote name='FuturePriest387' timestamp='1334600137' post='2418790']
I didn't phrase that the way I wanted to, first of all. I'm simply saying you shouldn't be stupid. My friend used to sleep in the same bed with her boyfriend and snuggle in the dark because she trusted him totally. What do you think was running through his mind on these occasions? Besides, sharing the same hotel room without supervision has been said to be a very bad idea from many Priests, including Father Vincent Serpa, O.P., from Catholic Answers, and Father John Flynn from XT3.com.
[/quote]

And is your friend and her boyfriend the "norm", or the "standard" we should compare every man and woman to?

I have no clue what was "running through" his mind, because I wasn't gifted with clairvoyance. Amazingly, men don't think about sex 24/7. That's just ridiculous. Maybe he was thinking he was tired. Or hungry. Or blessed to have such a fantastic girlfriend. And what about her, what was SHE thinking? (I'm asking because you're clairvoyant, right.) You think women can't get aroused?

"Sharing the same hotel room without supervision" - I'm not 13, I'm 24 (well, almost) and my boyfriend is 27. We're adults, we don't need "supervision" thank you.

Oh and also, if a guy comes onto his girlfriend and she doesn't want it, or he's crossing boundaries, don't for a second think the poor little weak woman is going to crumble under pressure. Chances are she'll slap him across the face if he doesn't get the message with "no".

[quote name='FuturePriest387' timestamp='1334600282' post='2418793']
Here's a link from a theologian on the matter: [url="http://forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=639515&highlight=Sharing+Room+With+Boyfriend"]http://forums.cathol... With Boyfriend[/url]

And advice from a Priest: [url="http://www.xt3.com/discussion/thread.php?id=12984"]http://www.xt3.com/d...ad.php?id=12984[/url] He doesn't directly explain why, but note how he doesn't say "I don't see what the problem is. This is completely fine."
[/quote]I think a 15 year old should be doing more work on learning algebra then advising older adults on sexual matters. Switch to 'learning mode' until the depth and breadth of your understanding and life experience is commensurate with your desire to offer quantity of opinion.

In other words, you made your point, people listened and commented, let it go.

PhuturePriest

[quote name='HisChildForever' timestamp='1334600688' post='2418802']
And is your friend and her boyfriend the "norm", or the "standard" we should compare every man and woman to?

I have no clue what was "running through" his mind, because I wasn't gifted with clairvoyance. Amazingly, men don't think about sex 24/7. That's just ridiculous. Maybe he was thinking he was tired. Or hungry. Or blessed to have such a fantastic girlfriend. And what about her, what was SHE thinking? (I'm asking because you're clairvoyant, right.) You think women can't get aroused?

"Sharing the same hotel room without supervision" - I'm not 13, I'm 24 (well, almost) and my boyfriend is 27. We're adults, we don't need "supervision" thank you.

Oh and also, if a guy comes onto his girlfriend and she doesn't want it, or he's crossing boundaries, don't for a second think the poor little weak woman is going to crumble under pressure. Chances are she'll slap him across the face if he doesn't get the message with "no".
[/quote]

I'm not saying we do. But I'm saying that sleeping in the same bed with a woman makes this cross your mind at one point or another. Sleeping in the same bed has been said to be a very bad idea by just about everyone, so this isn't just my crazy 1940's mindset going off again. I can ask Father John Flynn if you like and I'll post his answer here for you.

Since when did people become too old to have supervision? I do believe sin occurs no matter what age you are (Unless you are too young to have culpability and to know what you're even doing, or understand the implications of it, for that matter). Being twenty three doesn't magically make you so mature and give you so much self-control that you don't need supervision. But I suppose you're right. I mean, after all, Adam and Eve needed absolutely no supervision. They were left to supervise themselves and they were after all adults, and there was no consequence made that affected the entire human race because of it.

Don't think for a second? Why not? Because this is happening every single day. The man will say things like "If you really loved me, you would do this." He pressures the girl into thinking that if she doesn't grant him whatever sexual favor he wants, she doesn't love him and she is a terrible person. Many women will say no, but many women are also vulnerable and will give in.

PhuturePriest

[quote name='Anomaly' timestamp='1334600938' post='2418805']
I think a 15 year old should be doing more work on learning algebra then advising older adults on sexual matters. Switch to 'learning mode' until the depth and breadth of your understanding and life experience is commensurate with your desire to offer quantity of opinion.

In other words, you made your point, people listened and commented, let it go.
[/quote]

Well, learning algebra is great fun and all, but I'm not stating my opinions, I'm stating what the Church states and what moral theologians are saying, and I don't care who thinks I'm too 1940's-ish for this generation when I say it. "A lie is a lie even if everybody believes it, and the truth is the truth even if nobody believes it." - Archbishop Fulton J. Sheen. I have taken these words to heart and I don't care what people think. I do listen to people and do change my opinion where it should be changed, but overall I have been well catechized and well-taught overall when it comes to theology, and despite my age disability I do know a lot, and it sometimes hurts when I feel as if I'm thrown to the side simply because I'm a silly hormonal fifteen year old boy. I'd like to feel appreciated for my knowledge and lack thereof, not told to shut up since I'm a stupid fifteen year old.

However, you are right: I will stop. There's no need to continue if I'm not going to be appreciated for what I say and think.

[quote name='HisChildForever' timestamp='1334600688' post='2418802']

[/quote]
Was there a sammich bar at said hotel?