An Old School Catholic Message Board

Opposite Sex Housemates

EmilyAnn

[quote name='MissScripture' timestamp='1334587856' post='2418676']
Well, we are supposed to avoid near occasions of sin, but I don't see how not doing so could be a sin, or it couldn't be a near occasion of sin since it would be a sin. And since a near occasion of sin isn't a sin, I wouldn't think it could be as dangerous to the soul as an actual sin. Obviously, it's not a good idea to create near occasions of sin, and I'm not even saying that living with someone of the opposite sex is a good idea if not married, just that it's not anywhere near the same category as committing adultery, which is clearly sinful.
[/quote]

I've still only read to page fourteen (stop posting ppl!) but I thought I'd briefly address this.

A near ocassion of sin isn't a sin in itself, but intentionally placing yourself into a near ocassion of sin could be a sin of imprudence. You may not have comitted the sin of what you've placed yourself near (lust), but that doesn't mean your poor judgement isn't a sin.

StClare_OraProNobis

[quote name='HisChildForever' timestamp='1334604050' post='2418866']
See that spear? He's going after the prudes.
[/quote]

I don't find this funny being one of the "prudes" on this thread. I have a valid opinion too, and one that is supported by a plethera of Christians and Catholics.

I for one am proud that FP did not back down from the moral formation he received in spite of the temptation to cave as this entire thread devolved into a mass chastisement of him for sticking up for what he believes is right.

And for the record I am not 15 years old, so I guess being "older" and more "experienced" my opinion should be more welcomed.

I think she was making a joke....no need to take it so personally.

And this has nothing to do with 'backing down'. He's got an opinion... so do I.

We exchange them.

We agree sometimes.

We don't agree sometimes.

[quote name='StClare_OraProNobis' timestamp='1334609235' post='2418930']
And for the record I am not 15 years old, so I guess being "older" and more "experienced" my opinion should be more welcomed.
[/quote]
and don't be so drama....

PhuturePriest

[quote name='Lisa' timestamp='1334611262' post='2418957']
Both sides of this argument
[img]http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/duty_calls.png[/img]
[/quote]

This is me every single night. This is why I stayed up until 3:30 last night until my mom surprisingly caught me. The first time I stay up that late in a year and I'm caught. I'm really off my game. I used to be really good at faking sleep.

PhuturePriest

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' timestamp='1334612676' post='2418978']
I think its time to institute a phatmass curfew for you, like 10pm IF your homework is done.
[/quote]

I never have homework. I'm never given assignments. I just practice the concept or learn whatever the subject is. Home schooling is sweet indeed...

Edited by FuturePriest387

she_who_is_not

I'm late to the game, but I wanted to re-emphasize what other people have stated about the relationship of proximity to arousal or temptation. As a betting woman, I'd wager that many if not most of us have experienced lust or even committed sin while thinking of a person we are not close to and perhaps never met. Desire is a psychological experience that cues a biological response. We can control what we think about. The sexual characteristics we fantasize about and the characteristics of those we choose to mate and breed with are often very different. Most people exercise a fair amount of control over who, when, where, and how they choose to engage in sexual contact. Too be blunt, I don't worry about falling on top of a guy and being overwhelmed with uncontrolled desire. I do struggle to maintain my fantasies so I don't seek out a man upon which to enact them. Controlling one's sexuality is part of the responsibility of a being an adult (speaking in terms of maturity not age).

[quote name='FuturePriest387' timestamp='1334612790' post='2418979']
I never have homework. I'm never given assignments. I just practice the concept or learn whatever the subject is. Home schooling is sweet indeed...
[/quote]
http://www.libertyclassroom.com/

StClare_OraProNobis

[quote name='MIkolbe' timestamp='1334609363' post='2418931']
I think she was making a joke....no need to take it so personally.

[/quote]

People don't like being called prudes. Seems pretty common sense to me. And you may find it funny, but the person on the other end of the "joke" may not. Just because I have a minority opinion on this thread doesn't mean that I am being a prude.

[quote name='StClare_OraProNobis' timestamp='1334613913' post='2418983']
People don't like being called prudes. Seems pretty common sense to me. And you may find it funny, but the person on the other end of the "joke" may not. Just because I have a minority opinion on this thread doesn't mean that I am being a prude.
[/quote]
Don't be such a stick in the mud.