An Old School Catholic Message Board

Opposite Sex Housemates

EmilyAnn

[quote name='FuturePriest387' timestamp='1334601213' post='2418809']
Well, learning algebra is great fun and all, but I'm not stating my opinions, I'm stating what the Church states and what moral theologians are saying, and I don't care who thinks I'm too 1940's-ish for this generation when I say it. "A lie is a lie even if everybody believes it, and the truth is the truth even if nobody believes it." - Archbishop Fulton J. Sheen. I have taken these words to heart and I don't care what people think. I do listen to people and do change my opinion where it should be changed, but overall I have been well catechized and well-taught overall when it comes to theology, and despite my age disability I do know a lot, and it sometimes hurts when I feel as if I'm thrown to the side simply because I'm a silly hormonal fifteen year old boy.
[/quote]It's a hard lesson to learn, and a sign of maturity to realize what you know along with what you don't know. Your cup of life experience may be unique and different from someone's 5 gallon bucket. You contributed your experience and added to the mix. But seriously, don't believe you just changed the soup to stew with your contribution.

Edit to add:

If you want respect for what you know and what you have lived, please be so kind to show the same respect you're asking for to what others know and have lived. We have two ears and two eyes to our one mouth for a reason. The innerwebs screwed that math up when people realize they have ten fingers. Get the point?

Edited by Anomaly

[quote name='FuturePriest387' timestamp='1334600974' post='2418806']
Don't think for a second? Why not? Because this is happening every single day. The man will say things like "If you really loved me, you would do this." He pressures the girl into thinking that if she doesn't grant him whatever sexual favor he wants, she doesn't love him and she is a terrible person. Many women will say no, but many women are also vulnerable and will give in.
[/quote]

At the moment, you giving your opinions on sex, how adults react and think, and real world scenarios involving all this stuff is like a fish trying to tell a bird what flying feels like.

There is a reason i dont go around telling older women how to handle menopause.

I'm not saying we do. But I'm saying that sleeping in the same bed with a woman makes this cross your mind at one point or another. Sleeping in the same bed has been said to be a very bad idea by just about everyone, so this isn't just my crazy 1940's mindset going off again. [/quote]

At what point did HCF say it was the same bed? Most hotel rooms I've been in, unless otherwise requested, come with two double beds standard.

PhuturePriest

[quote name='BG45' timestamp='1334601675' post='2418814']
At what point did HCF say it was the same bed? Most hotel rooms I've been in, unless otherwise requested, come with two double beds standard.
[/quote]

Two beds separated by two feet doesn't create a chastity barrier.

PhuturePriest

[quote name='Jesus_lol' timestamp='1334601568' post='2418813']
At the moment, you giving your opinions on sex, how adults react and think, and real world scenarios involving all this stuff is like a fish trying to tell a bird what flying feels like.

There is a reason i dont go around telling older women how to handle menopause.
[/quote]

I'm not saying these things because I have experienced them. I'm saying these things because these things are what I was taught by chastity speakers and moral theologians that not only have the life experience, but have four to eight year degrees at good colleges that qualify them to speak about it.

missionseeker

[quote name='FuturePriest387' timestamp='1334601213' post='2418809']
Well, learning algebra is great fun and all, but I'm not stating my opinions, I'm stating what the Church states and what moral theologians are saying, and I don't care who thinks I'm too 1940's-ish for this generation when I say it. "A lie is a lie even if everybody believes it, and the truth is the truth even if nobody believes it." - Archbishop Fulton J. Sheen. I have taken these words to heart and I don't care what people think. I do listen to people and do change my opinion where it should be changed, but overall I have been well catechized and well-taught overall when it comes to theology, and despite my age disability I do know a lot, and it sometimes hurts when I feel as if I'm thrown to the side simply because I'm a silly hormonal fifteen year old boy.
[/quote]

Book knowledge is not the same as actual experience of the subject. Just "knowing a lot" doesn't make you an expert. It makes you a book worm. It also means that you aren't quite aware of how real world situations play out or what you would actually do in those situations. Honestly, I think Jason Evert is right underneath it all, but half of the time his angle makes people scared of themselves and their hormones. It all boils down to "hormones". Which is stupid. Actions are choices. And you've never had to make those choices, so you are terrified of them and of your hormones. The idea that hormones dictate your life is stupid.

The point of Christianity is to not let anything but Christ dictate the way we act.

[quote name='FuturePriest387' timestamp='1334601761' post='2418815']
[/quote]
Since there's no such thing, this isn't much of a problem.

PhuturePriest

[quote name='missionseeker' timestamp='1334601940' post='2418819']
Book knowledge is not the same as actual experience of the subject. Just "knowing a lot" doesn't make you an expert. It makes you a book worm. It also means that you aren't quite aware of how real world situations play out or what you would actually do in those situations. Honestly, I think Jason Evert is right underneath it all, but half of the time his angle makes people scared of themselves and their hormones. It all boils down to "hormones". Which is stupid. Actions are choices. And you've never had to make those choices, so you are terrified of them and of your hormones. The idea that hormones dictate your life is stupid.

The point of Christianity is to not let anything but Christ dictate the way we act.
[/quote]

This is his entire point. He never says it is all about hormones, but he's trying to get across that hormones play a huge part. Sexual attraction is very scientific, and so he learned a lot about that at Franciscan University. Hormones do play a huge role in how you make your decisions, trust me, that is one of the subjects in which I have had a lot of real world experience in.

Show me proof where he makes people scared of their hormones and how he says hormones dictate your life. I'm pretty sure he has said "Choose love instead of lust" which would imply not letting your hormones get the best of you, but you may have read a different article than I have.

Edited by FuturePriest387

Miles,
You seem to be a nice, bright kid and all, but chill on arguing the value of your contribution when a person who has to have their mom tell them to get off the 'net is arguing with people who have socks older than you, have actually had the opportunity to kiss a girl, who may actually been married longer than you, may even have children older then you, may even have grand-children your age. Your points and contributions are not worthless, but they ain't going to buy more than a cup of coffee.

HisChildForever

I'm not saying we do. But I'm saying that sleeping in the same bed with a woman makes this cross your mind at one point or another. Sleeping in the same bed has been said to be a very bad idea by just about everyone, so this isn't just my crazy 1940's mindset going off again. I can ask Father John Flynn if you like and I'll post his answer here for you.[/quote]

There's no need, because I never advocated bed sharing.

[quote]Since when did people become too old to have supervision? I do believe sin occurs no matter what age you are (Unless you are too young to have culpability and to know what you're even doing, or understand the implications of it, for that matter). Being twenty three doesn't magically make you so mature and give you so much self-control that you don't need supervision.[/quote]

Stop being fresh, it's irritating.

Human beings are faced with temptations every. single. day. Not just sexual temptations. Should a supervisor be assigned to every single human being to make sure we don't lie, cheat, steal, insult, mock, miss Church?

[quote]Don't think for a second? Because this is happening every single day. The man will say things like "If you really loved me, you would do this." He pressures the girl into thinking that if he doesn't grant him whatever sexual favor he wants, she doesn't love him and she is a terrible person. Many women will say no, but many women are also vulnerable and will give in.
[/quote]

Yes, thank you, I've dated a slew of these types, so you don't need to lecture me on things I've personally experienced.

Have you realized yet that you're incredibly one-sided? Men are the pigs and women the victims. What about all those women who try to disrespect their boyfriends and get in their pantaloons?

Vincent Vega

[/quote]
10,000 miles doesn't create a chastity barrier. It's a state of mind, not a physical distance.

[quote name='USAirwaysIHS' timestamp='1334602360' post='2418827']
10,000 miles doesn't create a chastity barrier. It's a state of mind, not a physical distance.
[/quote]

This. A man and a woman make a conscious decision to be chaste.

[quote name='Jesus_lol' timestamp='1334601568' post='2418813']

[/quote]
Yes. There are many different scenarios of sharing a dwelling....too many to detail. I do not advocate that all be reduced down to the lowest common denominator. However, each decision should be preceded with thought and prudence. In HCF's example, I could never have done b/c it would most certainly caused my godchildren scandal...that's me and not a commentary on HCF and her boyfriend.

[/quote]
But I would bet her chastity (and love of Christ) (and that of her bf) makes a very good one barrier.

I see what you are trying to say FP. I think I do. I find it a little 'offsetting' that a 15 year old is attempting to pontificate on something he really knows nothing about, experientially at least. But I can respect the fact that you love and trust our Church through her traditions, saints, and holy men and women of old; and our bishops and priests; and are using what little you have and still try to speak the truth of the Church. This is admirable, in attempt.

And this is where I am having issues as well. I know HCF a little, and if I know anything it is her love for Jesus Christ and His Church. I have had many opportunities to 'read' her thoughts (not through clairvoyance) lol... and perhaps, just perhaps an upstanding person, such as her, can be perfectly chaste in the situation she mentioned. Dare I say many of my sisters and brothers in Christ could as well.

While I find this to be true; on a personal level, having 'succumed' to these temptations personally, cannot help to think of it as a bad idea...a near occasion of sin.. but not sin, in and of itself.

PhuturePriest

[quote name='HisChildForever' timestamp='1334602354' post='2418826']
There's no need, because I never advocated bed sharing.

Stop being fresh, it's irritating.

Human beings are faced with temptations every. single. day. Not just sexual temptations. Should a supervisor be assigned to every single human being to make sure we don't lie, cheat, steal, insult, mock, miss Church?

Yes, thank you, I've dated a slew of these types, so you don't need to lecture me on things I've personally experienced.

Have you realized yet that you're incredibly one-sided? Men are the pigs and women the victims. What about all those women who try to disrespect their boyfriends and get in their pantaloons?
[/quote]

But you said there was no problem with it. I asked Father John Flynn for the heck of it on both of the arguments (Both cohabitation and bed-sharing) so we'll see how this all pans out. Chances are, I'm wrong on some things and you're wrong on some things. We're very rarely 100% correct.

Yes, we are faced with temptations every day, but there's no need to put yourself in a situation where you might be very tempted. This is like saying "You know, I think I'm going to walk on a rail at the edge of the Grand Canyon. It's not necessary, but I may not fall, so it's fine."

I'm not one-sided. In fact, I am a very big believer that these things occur the opposite way very frequently and sometimes more frequently, but I'm always afraid to share an opinion such as this on here.