An Old School Catholic Message Board

Opposite Sex Housemates

EmilyAnn

Vincent Vega

[quote name='FuturePriest387' timestamp='1334638938' post='2419168']
As promised, I will copy and paste what Father John Flynn said.

Dear Miles:

I think you are generally right and living together would place many in a great deal of temptation. There could be exceptions, and I personally know of one case where two good young Catholics of the opposite sex did share an apartment for a time.

Certainly the idea of sharing the same room or bed would not be appropriate.

Another factor to keep in mind is the importance of not causing scandal. In today's society most people would assume that two young people of the opposite sex who live in the same apartment would be intimate with each other.

"I think you are generally right". A very sure sign that a Priest knows what he's talking about is when he says I know what I'm talking about. :P

However, it was a double-edged sword. He did say it can be done without causing scandal. But he did imply that it is not recommended. My personal choice would be to never do this unless I absolutely had to, but others are free to do so as long as they are careful.
[/quote]
This note was written to a 15 year old. I would agree with the good priest that two 15 year olds of opposite genders and different family lines should not, under any circumstances, spend the night together unaccompanied. Perhaps if he knew the greater context, his opinion would be more nuanced.
[quote name='Slappo' timestamp='1334637600' post='2419160']
pax domini means pax (peace) domini (of the Lord). Peace of the Lord.
[/quote]
Thank you for not making me say this. I've been enough of a darsh today without giving people language lessons.

MissScripture

Um, I'm pretty sure you can live with someone and not let them see you in your underwear. I lived with female roommates and they never saw my underwear. I wouldn't have let a guy see any more than they did, that's for darn sure!

PhuturePriest

[quote name='USAirwaysIHS' timestamp='1334639296' post='2419169']
This note was written to a 15 year old. I would agree with the good priest that two 15 year olds of opposite genders and different family lines should not, under any circumstances, spend the night together unaccompanied. Perhaps if he knew the greater context, his opinion would be more nuanced.

Thank you for not making me say this. I've been enough of a darsh today without giving people language lessons.
[/quote]

I'll ask him if this is for all ages, or just for teenagers.

PhuturePriest

Done. I asked him specifically from ages twenty and up, not teenagers. We'll see what he has to say.

Vincent Vega

I would even have asked 25 and up, as 20 is still pretty immature, but okay. Even still, it is still advice that he's giving to a 15 year old. He's going to answer accordingly.
Also, have you mentioned that you were going to post his responses on a public internet forum? That might be apropos...some people might be touchy about that.

PhuturePriest

[quote name='USAirwaysIHS' timestamp='1334640314' post='2419176']
I would even have asked 25 and up, as 20 is still pretty immature, but okay. Even still, it is still advice that he's giving to a 15 year old. He's going to answer accordingly.
Also, have you mentioned that you were going to post his responses on a public internet forum? That might be apropos...some people might be touchy about that.
[/quote]

Well, I actually did say twenty five at first, but I figured people might be angry if I did that, so I said twenty instead. Sheesh, you try to make everybody happy, but that never works out... :P

I know Father John Flynn pretty well, and I don't think he would mind.

tinytherese

Also, clarify that the two people would not be sharing a bed or even sleeping in the same room.

Finally, when you asked him, did you give the context that these are two friends of the opposite sex who are not attracted to each other? He may have thought that you meant a dating couple or an engaged couple living together before marriage, which is a different scenario.

tinytherese

[quote name='MissScripture' timestamp='1334639418' post='2419170']
Um, I'm pretty sure you can live with someone and not let them see you in your underwear. I lived with female roommates and they never saw my underwear. I wouldn't have let a guy see any more than they did, that's for darn sure!
[/quote]

Yea, I've never casually worn only undergarments around same sex roommates or suitemates either. I've also never worn so little around my brothers.

PhuturePriest

[quote name='tinytherese' timestamp='1334640859' post='2419180']
Also, clarify that the two people would not be sharing a bed or even sleeping in the same room.

Finally, when you asked him, did you give the context that these are two friends of the opposite sex who are not attracted to each other? He may have thought that you meant a dating couple or an engaged couple living together before marriage, which is a different scenario.
[/quote]

I did specifically mention even if they were not dating.

Just got in from a 12 hour shift to read this...this...INCREDIBLY FUNNY THREAD!!!

Seriously, I was laughing so hard at some posts that my fiancee came out and chucked a pillow at my head and told me to shut it!

(Let me pause for a second here and say yes, I live with my girl and no, we are not married. Got a problem with it? Tough!)

So...let's see where I LOLed....

[quote name='Anomaly' timestamp='1334602248' post='2418825']
Miles,
You seem to be a nice, bright kid and all, but chill on arguing the value of your contribution when a person who has to have their mom tell them to get off the 'net is arguing with people who have socks older than you, have actually had the opportunity to kiss a girl, who may actually been married longer than you, may even have children older then you, may even have grand-children your age. Your points and contributions are not worthless, but they ain't going to buy more than a cup of coffee.
[/quote]

Dude....win....

[quote name='FuturePriest387' timestamp='1334603610' post='2418855']
I look at things in a black and white way because this is actually psychological. Everyone going through puberty sees things this way because the chemicals in our brains are not fully 100% and what-not, and they're going up and down all the time.
[/quote]

When I was your age, I wasn't a know-it-all. Or maybe I was...

In any case, stop making generalizations. I think that's what pisses people off the most about you. The way you communicate your ideas is very condescending and matter of fact. This is particularly problematic when you are either wrong or not right.

And don't give me that "I just say what the Church says" garbage. As HCF pointed out, you frequently depict men as sex-crazed brutes, waiting to ravage any and every girl in sight. That's disrespectful to you and every man alive. I am a lot of things, but I am not a slave to the sort of sexual impulses you seem to think all men--and boys your age--are. I've found comfort in the blunt words of Padre Pio, which I will butcher for you now: "Be a man and shut up!"

[quote name='FuturePriest387' timestamp='1334612790' post='2418979']
I never have homework. I'm never given assignments. I just practice the concept or learn whatever the subject is. Home schooling is sweet indeed...
[/quote]

BTW, this is the post that got me pelted with a pillow. Seriously, it was like a light went on and I thought to myself "Oh, of [i]course[/i] you're homeschooled." Then I read JLOL's response, and got yelled at due to another bout of laughter:

[quote name='Jesus_lol' timestamp='1334624151' post='2419061']
I realize I am late to the game and all, but this has to be the creepiest post i have seen in weeks.

wow.

Well, if i didnt consider you a worldly, experienced person already, finding you are homeschooled is just really kicking that up a notch.

All this talk about how men and women feel in constant contact with each other and you dont even attend school?
[/quote]

Srsly, I want to have a beer with you, dude. You ever make it down to Florida, I am buying!

[quote name='Adrestia' timestamp='1334617682' post='2419025']
I'd prop Kujo if I could. That's all I have to contribute.
[/quote]

Thanks! Lots of love to you!

[quote name='FuturePriest387' timestamp='1334636514' post='2419156']
Sweet. I haven't gone in over a year and I really need to get my teeth cleaned, so if you are going to pay for this I really do appreciate this. We have no health care so you really are a God-send.
[/quote]

And then you said this. I know you're homeschooled, but do you have to confirm the worst stereotypes about homeschooled kids? I've known quite a few, and they're all great people. A few of them rank up there with the smartest people I know. But "the world" thinks of homeschooled kids as asocial, uber-religious bumpkins with poor hygiene. Remind you of anyone?

I hope you know I am joking here, and that this is the sort of "fraternal correction" I do. I poke fun to expose flaws. I am sure that you are a good dude, but you've gotta dial back your dooshy tendencies. Don't tell women what it's like to be a woman; don't tell a man what it's like to be a man. If you have an opinion about yourself and your strengths and weaknesses as a person, share it. But don't make the mistake of assuming your "experiences" (LOL...you're a BABY!), thoughts, feelings, opinions and assumptions are universal.

Edited by kujo

[quote name='tinytherese' timestamp='1334641114' post='2419183']
Yea, I've never casually worn only undergarments around same sex roommates or suitemates either. I've also never worn so little around my brothers.
[/quote]

Really? I thought all women got together in lingerie and hit each other with feather-stuffed pillows in slow-motion? Amiright??!?!??!??!

PhuturePriest

I'm not saying in three years of living with a man you are sure to walk around casually naked (Though him accidentally walking in on you is bound to happen if you live together for three years). That was simply an example to say that you can sometimes get too comfortable with each other and this can lead to situations that were not intended to be tempting but are. I have never said any of this stuff would most certainly happen, but there is a chance it will and I would be willing to bet getting too comfortable and casual with each other happens more than you think.

[quote name='FuturePriest387' timestamp='1334641932' post='2419190']
I'm not saying in three years of living with a man you are sure to walk around casually naked (Though him accidentally walking in on you is bound to happen if you live together for three years).
[/quote]

FALSE!!!!

Wrong.

Totally, absolute, moronically WRONG!

I lived with my female best friend for several years, and I never "walked in" on her naked. Because we had doors, and if they were closed, it was customary to knock and wait for a response before entering. That's what normal people do. Guys, girls, gays, straights....

Gosh....you say some [i]really[/i] dumb stuff!

PhuturePriest

You people are ruining my happy Irish attitude. Be a man and have a drink. :irish:

I would also note that you can't speak and drink at the same time, so for all of your sake's, throw a margarita on down this way.