An Old School Catholic Message Board

Opposite Sex Housemates

EmilyAnn

[quote name='FuturePriest387' timestamp='1334642843' post='2419208']
Why would I do this? If they need us to stay out they can just lock the door, as is sacred tradition.
[/quote]

Right...because the whole placing a wooden 6 x 4 foot partition between their room and the rest of the house isn't a sufficient signal that they desire privacy...

[quote name='FuturePriest387' timestamp='1334642935' post='2419210']
I'm a brave man, I suppose. Must be the Irish blood in me.
[/quote]

Don't blame our mother land for your idiocy!

PhuturePriest

[quote name='kujo' timestamp='1334643056' post='2419212']
Right...because the whole placing a wooden 6 x 4 foot partition between their room and the rest of the house isn't a sufficient signal that they desire privacy...

[/quote]

It's never closed anyway. The only doors that are normally closed are my sister's and my brother's, but that's because they're nuts and can't stand it if their doors are open. It bothers them for some reason. They can take an OCD pill if you ask me...

*Sniffles* [i]Our [/i]motherland? You're claiming me to be of your kind? I'm so happy!

MissScripture

[quote name='kujo' timestamp='1334643056' post='2419212']

[/quote]
:like2:

[quote name='FuturePriest387' timestamp='1334643191' post='2419214']
It's never closed anyway. The only doors that are normally closed are my sister's and my brother's, but that's because they're nuts and can't stand it if their doors are open. It bothers them for some reason. They can take an OCD pill if you ask me...[/quote]

Is this an opinion endorsed by your priest friend?

[quote]*Sniffles* [i]Our [/i]motherland? You're claiming me to be of your kind? I'm so happy!
[/quote]

If you're Irish, then yeah. Now tell me how you like Rick Santorum and how you're right about everything so that I can go back to beating you with the shalaylee...

PhuturePriest

[quote name='kujo' timestamp='1334643318' post='2419216']
Is this an opinion endorsed by your priest friend?

If you're Irish, then yeah. Now tell me how you like Rick Santorum and how you're right about everything so that I can go back to beating you with the shalaylee...
[/quote]

*Sniffles* We actually have something in common! That, and we both have hope in Mitt Romney.

Um, no it is not. However, my brother probably has OCD. I sometimes think I do, but I'm not afraid of germs and I'm not 100% on higiene, so this is probably false.

Let's see... What can I say that will spark conversation... Um... I'm with Father John Flynn and my opinion on this is perfect. Is that satisfactory? I don't actually think my opinion on this is perfect, but I'm willing to give it a go for your entertainment.

Edited by FuturePriest387

missionseeker

I think you're razzle dazzle and all. You say things like this

[quote name='kujo' timestamp='1334641788' post='2419188']
Just got in from a 12 hour shift to read this...this...INCREDIBLY FUNNY THREAD!!!

In any case, stop making generalizations. I think that's what pisses people off the most about you. The way you communicate your ideas is very condescending and matter of fact. This is particularly problematic when you are either wrong or not right.

And don't give me that "I just say what the Church says" garbage. As HCF pointed out, you frequently depict men as sex-crazed brutes, waiting to ravage any and every girl in sight. That's disrespectful to you and every man alive. I am a lot of things, but I am not a slave to the sort of sexual impulses you seem to think all men--and boys your age--are. I've found comfort in the blunt words of Padre Pio, which I will butcher for you now: "Be a man and shut up!"

[/quote]
And then you say stuff like this
[quote]
Seriously, I was laughing so hard at some posts that my fiancee came out and chucked a pillow at my head and told me to shut it!

(Let me pause for a second here and say yes, I live with my girl and no, we are not married. Got a problem with it? Tough!)

So...let's see where I LOLed....

[/quote]

:ohno:

[quote name='FuturePriest387' timestamp='1334641932' post='2419190']
I'm not saying in three years of living with a man you are sure to walk around casually naked (Though him accidentally walking in on you is bound to happen if you live together for three years). That was simply an example to say that you can sometimes get too comfortable with each other and this can lead to situations that were not intended to be tempting but are. I have never said any of this stuff would most certainly happen, but there is a chance it will and I would be willing to bet getting too comfortable and casual with each other happens more than you think.
[/quote]
[quote][color=#282828]The problem with living together for too long is you get too comfortable with each other. Eventually him seeing you in your bra and panties isn't a big deal because he is like a brother now, but this is a very, very bad idea.[/color][/quote]

O.o I have never ever ever ever ever (and never will) walked around in front of my brothers in my underwear.

[quote name='missionseeker' timestamp='1334645522' post='2419227']
I think you're razzle dazzle and all. You say things like this

And then you say stuff like this

:ohno:
[/quote]

Hey, it is what it is. I am who I am, and I've made the choices I've made.

[quote name='FuturePriest387' timestamp='1334638938' post='2419168']
[i]Another factor to keep in mind is the importance of not causing scandal. In today's society most people would assume that two young people of the opposite sex who live in the same apartment would be intimate with each other.[/i]
[/quote]

I think this is unfair and untrue. I live in a town that is populated mostly of university students. Since we only get university accommodation for the first year we live in shared private housing for the rest of our studies. People are very much aware of that and no-one sensible would assume that anyone living together were anything other than just housemates unless they knew otherwise.

[quote name='FuturePriest387' timestamp='1334638938' post='2419168']
However, it was a double-edged sword. He did say it can be done without causing scandal. But he did imply that it is not recommended. My personal choice would be to never do this unless I absolutely had to, but others are free to do so as long as they are careful. The problem with living together for too long is you get too comfortable with each other. Eventually him seeing you in your bra and panties isn't a big deal because he is like a brother now, but this is a very, very bad idea. I'm not saying he'll jump you, but seeing a woman in her bra and panties is extremely tempting for most men. You're seeing the woman practically naked. However, nobody implied the two people in question would be living with each other for years, so this isn't a big deal for this particular debate.
[/quote]

Several other people have said the same thing and I'm going to agree with them: I would [i]never [/i]go around in my underwear in front of my brothers [i]or[/i] my friends, male or female!

Edited by EmilyAnn

[quote name='kujo' timestamp='1334641788' post='2419188']
BTW, this is the post that got me pelted with a pillow. Seriously, it was like a light went on and I thought to myself "Oh, of [i]course[/i] you're homeschooled." Then I read JLOL's response, and got yelled at due to another bout of laughter:
Srsly, I want to have a beer with you, dude. You ever make it down to Florida, I am buying!
[/quote]

Lol, of course dude! :P

[quote name='kujo' timestamp='1334642685' post='2419206']
Nope. Just knock on the door and wait for a response.

Perhaps you should practice this new concept in your own life and stop walking in on your parents' room.
[/quote]

I am really surprised FP hasnt accidentally walked into something he shouldnt have seen. Or maybe he did, but just didnt realize it.

PSA: your parents are not actually "wrestling".

Hmmmm I said I would come back, and I did, and it's been interesting reading.... :)

I think the topic is really all talked out now. A lot of good points got made about 15 pages back... but there has been a lot of fun going on since then!

I still feel the same way I did when I stirred up the waters a few days ago....

I don't see any reason why it is not possible for people to live in shared houseing in a chaste and moral way.

We are all responsible for making good choices and knowing what is and is not an occasion of sin for ourselves. We have a responsiblity to not lead ourselves or others into situations that are problematic.

Those who for whatever reason feel sharing a space isn't right for them shouldn't do it... but I personally don't think we should judge those who do. I presume nothing is going on... until someone tells me otherwise. I respect them.

Nobody should be wandering around in a state of 'undress'... it just isn't the right thing to do. It's not respectful to the other or to myself. Of what 'undress' might consist of may vary considerably from culture to culture....

It is common sense and courtesy to respect people's boundaries.... that is what knocking and yes locks on doors are for. But if a door that isn't a public spaceis closed, I presume it is not my place to enter, and certainly wouldn't do so without knocking. Because it is THEIR space.... maybe they are praying in there... or doing something else... but it is THEIR space.

Those who feel strongly on this have a right to their opinions... as I do to mine.

Peace everyone!

Edited by AnneLine

[quote name='FuturePriest387' timestamp='1334642843' post='2419208']
Why would I do this? If they need us to stay out they can just lock the door, as is sacred tradition.

Besides, when I'm at other places I knock on the door even if I can tell the light is off. I never take any chances.
[/quote]
I highly recommend that you knock and knock again, or even send a telegraph. I had a friend who walked in his parents' bedroom without knocking. To this day, he is still in therapy...and it happened 30 years ago.

I didn't mention names. But since you opened that door[pun definitely intended], here is a photo of him before he walked in his parents' bedroom.

[img]http://static.tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pub/images/errol-flynn.jpg[/img]

Here's him after that fatal event.

[spoiler][img]http://images.sodahead.com/profiles/0/0/2/8/2/2/3/6/9/Marty-Feldman-72165646831.jpeg[/img][/spoiler]

Tab'le De'Bah-Rye

someone edited my post, i typed st paul not st thomas the apostle... HACKER ALERT!

Edited by Tab'le Du'Bah-Rye