An Old School Catholic Message Board

Opposite Sex Housemates

EmilyAnn

[quote name='IcePrincessKRS' timestamp='1334679762' post='2419450']
My brother in law is Irish. He came here for school and met my sister. :)

I think it's because some Americans get so gung-ho about it that they act like they're more Irish than the Irish. I've got no problem with being proud of our heritage, no matter what nationality it happens to be (I'm proud of all of mine). But, yeah, some of us get obnoxious about it, and for some reason those who have Irish can be especially obnoxious about it. You don't see people waltzing around saying "Yo, dude, I'm Welsh! Respek!"
[/quote]

I'm sorry, that was a really poor attempt at sarcasm.

[quote name='FuturePriest387' timestamp='1334677353' post='2419423']
I do believe in personal responsibility, yes, but personal responsibility ends when the debate begins. I am very aggressive when debating. I am pretty good at self-restraint and being responsible, but this is different with debates. Nobody makes me do my school. I choose to do it. My parents set it up like this to see if I would make the responsible choice, and I did. I'm doing school everyday and I'm learning quickly.
[/quote]As a parent, I won't comment on what your prespective of what you think they are "allowing" you to do relative to what they think you do, but I think you're flat out hankerin' for a spankerin'.

[quote name='Amppax' timestamp='1334679383' post='2419444']
Why would he get annoyed with American's who claim Irish blood? Are they obnoxious or something? :idontknow: I don't get where he see's that.
[/quote]

Well, it was more bemusement than real hostile anger or anything. He ran into a lot of people at parties and around campus who would hear his accent and go into the "Holy poo! You're Irish! I'm Irish too! blah blah blah" I think he would feel differently if these were people from south Boston or somewhere where there was a real, vibrant culture that had survived from Ireland and a really strong Irish identity. His annoyance was people with no real relation to Ireland except that somewhere in their family tree somebody was Irish. Or a lot of somebodies but they were no different from any other typical american home except that there was some distant family memory that somebody, somewhere was at some point Irish.

IcePrincessKRS

[quote name='Amppax' timestamp='1334680774' post='2419459']
I'm sorry, that was a really poor attempt at sarcasm.
[/quote]
Oh... haha I thought you were serious. :blush:

[quote name='IcePrincessKRS' timestamp='1334679762' post='2419450']
My brother in law is Irish. He came here for school and met my sister. :)
[/QUOTE]

Sorry, that was intended to be a general comment, not aimed at you specifically.

[QUOTE] I think it's because some Americans get so gung-ho about it that they act like they're more Irish than the Irish. I've got no problem with being proud of our heritage, no matter what nationality it happens to be (I'm proud of all of mine). But, yeah, some of us get obnoxious about it, and for some reason those who have Irish can be especially obnoxious about it. You don't see people waltzing around saying "Yo, dude, I'm Welsh! Respek!"
[/quote]

Yeah, that's it exactly.

MissScripture

[quote name='Hasan' timestamp='1334681206' post='2419463']
Well, it was more bemusement than real hostile anger or anything. He ran into a lot of people at parties and around campus who would hear his accent and go into the "Holy poo! You're Irish! I'm Irish too! blah blah blah" I think he would feel differently if these were people from south Boston or somewhere where there was a real, vibrant culture that had survived from Ireland and a really strong Irish identity. His annoyance was people with no real relation to Ireland except that somewhere in their family tree somebody was Irish. Or a lot of somebodies but they were no different from any other typical american home except that there was some distant family memory that somebody, somewhere was at some point Irish.
[/quote]
I find that obnoxious about anyone doing it with any part of their heritage. I mean, it's one thing to say, "I'm x percentage Irish, y percentage German and z percentage Dutch." But another thing to be like, "Whoa, yeah, I'm Irish! I eat corned beef on St. Patrick's day!" I have some Irish "heritage," but my family is mainly German and I have actual relatives that know of my existence in Germany, and we eat authentic German food. But that is likely largely a result of my grandparents being immigrants.

[quote name='IcePrincessKRS' timestamp='1334681257' post='2419464']
Oh... haha I thought you were serious. :blush:
[/quote]

nope, sorry :blush:

[quote name='Anomaly' timestamp='1334681095' post='2419461']
As a parent, I won't comment on what your prespective of what you think they are "allowing" you to do relative to what they think you do, but I think you're flat out hankerin' for a spankerin'.
[/quote]
Spanking!!!! :shock: Quick. Someone call Child Protected Service!!!

PhuturePriest

[quote name='IcePrincessKRS' timestamp='1334678986' post='2419437']
Your signature is silly. Do you know how many of us also have Irish blood? Ain't none of us gonna tremble before you. :rolleyes:
[/quote]

You should tremble before me because I'm not any ordinary Irishmen. I'm German, Russian, Irish, arguably Scottish, French, and Welsh, so I am from every alcoholic nation there ever was. Plus, I am probably about 0.1% Cherokee, so my ancestors used to get high as well. And people wonder what's wrong with me...

Edited by FuturePriest387

IcePrincessKRS

[quote name='FuturePriest387' timestamp='1334681722' post='2419472']
You should tremble before me because I'm not any ordinary Irishmen. I'm German, Russian, Irish, arguably Scottish, French, and Welsh, so I am from every alcoholic nation there ever was. Plus, I am probably about 0.1% Cherokee, so my ancestors used to get high as well. And people wonder what's wrong with me...
[/quote]

Yeah? Well, I'm part black.

PhuturePriest

[quote name='Papist' timestamp='1334680084' post='2419454']
FP,
Hope you know I am just funnin' with ya. If you are truly a future priest then this is real good training for you. The abuse here is just a taste of the abuse you will receive as a priest in the real world. With your ordination comes a bulls-eye.
Just remember where you cut your teeth.
[/quote]

I can't afford to cut my teeth. Priests need beautiful sparkly white teeth. I'm not sure where that puts me because I've never had sparkly white teeth in my life. I brush twice a day for four to six minutes and it doesn't get me anywhere. This must be a sign I'm not called.

But I do get what you are saying. Thank you.

[quote name='IcePrincessKRS' timestamp='1334681864' post='2419475']
Yeah? Well, I'm part black.
[/quote]

According to Deadliest Warrior, William Wallace would beat Shaka Zulu, so I fear not.

Edited by FuturePriest387

IcePrincessKRS

[quote name='FuturePriest387' timestamp='1334681961' post='2419476']
I can't afford to cut my teeth. Priests need beautiful sparkly white teeth. I'm not sure where that puts me because I've never had sparkly white teeth in my life. I brush twice a day for four to six minutes and it doesn't get me anywhere. This must be a sign I'm not called.

But I do get what you are saying. Thank you.

According to Deadliest Warrior, William Wallace would beat Shaka Zulu, so I fear not.
[/quote]

Yeah, because I base everything off Deadliest Warrior.

[quote name='FuturePriest387' timestamp='1334682085' post='2419478']
Besides, my signature is a joke. The emoticon is obviously not frightening.
[/quote]

Yes, and I was making fun of you for it.

[quote name='Amppax' timestamp='1334679383' post='2419444']
Why would he get annoyed with American's who claim Irish blood? Are they obnoxious or something? :idontknow: I don't get where he see's that.
[/quote]

Claiming Irish blood is different to claiming to be Irish. A lot of people in the US seem to confuse the two. My great-grandparents were Scottish, but I'm not Scottish. I've never even been to Scotland. Claiming to be Scottish would be stupid.

IcePrincessKRS

[quote name='EmilyAnn' timestamp='1334682157' post='2419482']
Claiming Irish blood is different to claiming to be Irish. A lot of people in the US seem to confuse the two. My great-grandparents were Scottish, but I'm not Scottish. I've never even been to Scotland. Claiming to be Scottish would be stupid.
[/quote]

I think we just tend to be sloppy with our terminology. I'll say I'm Irish, German, Polish, and black, but I know people understand that to mean "I have these in my heritage" not that I am actually from those places.