An Old School Catholic Message Board

The Papist And Mikolbe And Anyone Born Before 1976 Thread

MIKolbe

homeschoolmom

bigstock_Merry_Go_Round_176951.jpg

I think it was in forth or fifth grade before I realized that it was intended for kids to mount the bars and sit on them rather than hold on to them for dear life while sticking their butts as far out as possible.

We took turns being the "rock collector"-- the kid who stood at the bottom of the slide demanding a rock in payment before allowing kids to slide. Nothing like getting to the top of the line and realizing that you'd forgotten to grab a rock! I think we allowed you to slide, but the Rock Collector got to punch you on the arm. Recess is probably not nearly as fun anymore, which is probably okay, since many schools don't have recess anymore. :(

metal-slide-in-childrens-playground-jill

PhuturePriest

The gigantic Eisenhower dollar:

ust_111.jpg

and his sidekick, the Kennedy half-dollar:

us-kennedy-half-dollar-circulated.jpg

and their weird step-sister, the Susan B. Anthony dollar:

susan_b_anthony.jpg

And speaking of epic failures:

new-coke-1.jpg?9d7bd4

My dad was a manager for Coke for years, and he actually said "New Coke" was a very ingenius plan the company came up with. They switched to "New Coke" to confuse customers, and they only planned to do it for a year. After a year everyone was used to "New Coke" and only collectors had the original stuff, so no one quite remembered what the original Coke tasted like. They then switched back to "Old Coke" which in reality was different to the original and tasted different, just no one knew because no one had the original stuff anymore. But they trusted the company and believed it was the same exact Coke as before, and everyone bought into it.

My dad was a manager for Coke for years, and he actually said "New Coke" was a very ingenius plan the company came up with. They switched to "New Coke" to confuse customers, and they only planned to do it for a year. After a year everyone was used to "New Coke" and only collectors had the original stuff, so no one quite remembered what the original Coke tasted like. They then switched back to "Old Coke" which in reality was different to the original and tasted different, just no one knew because no one had the original stuff anymore. But they trusted the company and believed it was the same exact Coke as before, and everyone bought into it.

The way I remembered it was,

Old Coke = good

New Coke = pee

bigstock_Merry_Go_Round_176951.jpg

I think it was in forth or fifth grade before I realized that it was intended for kids to mount the bars and sit on them rather than hold on to them for dear life while sticking their butts as far out as possible.

You're supposed to sit? 

Edited by Papist

homeschoolmom

The way I remembered it was,

Old Coke = good

New Coke = pee

You're supposed to sit? 

That's the way I remember it, too. ;)

I KNOW! I was stunned when someone told me that. I don't recall ever seeing anyone sit on a merry-go-round, though.

I do remember people jumping on to a "spinning wheel of death" and trying to walk straight across and jump off the other side...

Maybe that's why I don't remember any kid being labeled ADHD when I was a kid... we were all pretty hyper, but we had a ton of fun at recess.

homeschoolmom

217650594460994540_NuNqlvuq_b.jpg

I keep thinking we're going to run out of stuff... and then we don't.

Before there was Chuck E. Cheese... there was

farrells01.jpg

homeschoolmom

I found a little container of these among things coming from Mom's house:

0109minibks.jpg

You could buy them in gumball machines.

ETA: Okay, I just was googling to learn more about these little books, and they are listed on eBay for like $10 to $30 apiece! And mine are in excellent condition because they've been sitting in their little plastic bubble for forty years. :|

homeschoolmom

Your mom should sell tickets. It's like a museum. 

I know, right!! That's what happens when you don't move for over forty years and you have kids that leave junk in your basement.

Remember when TVs were funiture?

tvset.JPG

Yes, Mom has one of these, too. Even though it doesn't work, "it still makes a good table!"

PhuturePriest

That's the way I remember it, too. ;)

I KNOW! I was stunned when someone told me that. I don't recall ever seeing anyone sit on a merry-go-round, though.

I do remember people jumping on to a "spinning wheel of death" and trying to walk straight across and jump off the other side...

Maybe that's why I don't remember any kid being labeled ADHD when I was a kid... we were all pretty hyper, but we had a ton of fun at recess.

You're supposed to sit? That's boring. I don't know about you, but I remember sometimes getting on top of the metal bars and holding on for dear life...

I know, right!! That's what happens when you don't move for over forty years and you have kids that leave junk in your basement.

Remember when TVs were funiture?

tvset.JPG

Yes, Mom has one of these, too. Even though it doesn't work, "it still makes a good table!"

Had one of these. After some years, the picture would randomly have a pink tint. We could stomp the floor and it would go away. Then eventually we had to got up and walk to the TV and hit it on the top.  Then eventually, we kept a hammer on top of it b/c simply b/c it required a hard knock.

homeschoolmom

Had one of these. After some years, the picture would randomly have a pink tint. We could stomp the floor and it would go away. Then eventually we had to got up and walk to the TV and hit it on the top.  Then eventually, we kept a hammer on top of it b/c simply b/c it required a hard knock.

Oh, ours has a little dial that you can adjust the pink, green and blue... or something.

And the remote control? Yours truly...

And before there was the microwave or electric popcorn machines there was....

jiffy-pop-187x300.jpg

220px-JiffyPop.jpg

jiffy-pop.jpg

I knew Jiffy Pop would make an appearance! We never had that, though. Our neighbors did. It's popcorn for camp-outs.