An Old School Catholic Message Board

Upsetting News

OnlySunshine

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' timestamp='1337022713' post='2430549']
I heard from my friend again today and she is in town. She wants me to meet up with her for Mass, which is a VERY good thing as she stated earlier that she didn't think she could go. I don't know if it was my email that helped but I don't really care. I'm just glad to hear that her mood has lifted and she is coming around. She told me she is applying to go to Israel to help in the refugee camps and plans to be there next year. Until then, she is going out of state next week to do contract nursing.
[/quote]

There are no camps in Israel itself. They're located in Lebanon and the Occupied Palestinian Territories, with a few in Jordan. I've worked in the West Bank camps quite extensively. Do you know which camp she is planning to go to, and with what organisation? If she needs help with planning or she has any questions, I'd be happy to help as far as I'm able.

Continued prayers for her.

PhuturePriest

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' timestamp='1336418113' post='2428166']
I don't want to give away too much information in case the Sisters frequent this site, but my friend is a belated vocation. She received her call early in life, but rebelled against her faith. She came back and has had the most difficult time finding an order that would accept her because of her age. I am so upset for her and I am asking God for a miracle.
[/quote]

My heart is heavy for your friend. I do hope everything works out. I haven't been reading the thread, but if all else fails the Franciscan Sisters Minor will take anyone, even if they're one hundred, so long as they are physically fit, Catholic, devout, and want to pursue the life.

I will pray for your friend and hope it ends well.

OnlySunshine

[quote name='beatitude' timestamp='1337036552' post='2430629']
There are no camps in Israel itself. They're located in Lebanon and the Occupied Palestinian Territories, with a few in Jordan. I've worked in the West Bank camps quite extensively. Do you know which camp she is planning to go to, and with what organisation? If she needs help with planning or she has any questions, I'd be happy to help as far as I'm able.

[/quote]

She is applying to work with the PeaceCorp for 2 years. I don't know specifics as she didn't give me much information, but this is something she's been wanting to do for a long time and she said, before she left, if religious life didn't work out, that this was the next move.

I'm praying that she isn't moving too fast. If it were me, I'd need to take some time away from discernment like I've done previously to reassess my goals and priorities. Maybe she doesn't need that, but my mom (who is also her friend) and I are a bit concerned that she may be moving too quickly. All I can do is say prayers that this is what God wants for her and hope for the best. :blush:

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' timestamp='1337022713' post='2430549']
Without giving any specifics on names or the community, I am really surprised by what she said about what happened. Apparently, it was only one of the Superiors that didn't think she should try the life. Everyone else on the council wanted her to stay. I don't if I would have left so soon if I were in her shoes. [/quote]

Depending on which superior it is, it could be sufficient to cause major grief. For example, if it is a sister directly involved in formation, then it would really, really affect her formation.

It is funny ... it was the 1st thought that I had. I had a feeling it was one or two sisters who were affecting the situation, and unfortunately it is enough. I don't blame her for leaving, because the situation can quickly go from bad to worse. St. Therese is St. Therese, and each one of us is capable of handling but so much.

As far as moving too fast -- you never know. She may have previously discerned other options, and that may be why she is moving so fast.

[quote name='beatitude' timestamp='1337036552' post='2430629']

[/quote]

I didn't want to get involved in this particular subject for a number of reasons, but Beatitude is right. Unfortunately, although the intention is charitable, politics does get involved, especially in an atmosphere of Islamic radicalism which perceives any Christian organization as attempting missionary work. We have increasing reports of harassment of the staffs of various Christian organizations. It is something to be aware of.

Israeli authorities are also skeptical of the intentions of missionaries, and since anyone wanting to work in the PA has to travel through Israel to get there, it might not be as simple a matter as MM's friend thinks to obtain the necessary visas, etc.

Lilllabettt

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' timestamp='1337043361' post='2430683']
She is applying to work with the PeaceCorp for 2 years. .
[/quote]

Has she really looked into the particulars of applying and what her chances for an affirmative response would be? Peace Corps accepts 1/2 their applicants and they can be quite picky about health issues. Normally I would say "who cares, go for it" ... but in this case I would be concerned about piling up too many serious disappointments over too short a time.

OnlySunshine

[quote name='Lilllabettt' timestamp='1337062591' post='2430789']
Has she really looked into the particulars of applying and what her chances for an affirmative response would be? Peace Corps accepts 1/2 their applicants and they can be quite picky about health issues. Normally I would say "who cares, go for it" ... but in this case I would be concerned about piling up too many serious disappointments over too short a time.
[/quote]

I'm not really sure what she thinks about the program. She just happened to mention, before she left, that this was an option. I am concerned, too, about her decision, but I haven't known her for that long -- just 8 months. :blush:

Strictlyinkblot

I understand what you're saying and I hope for her sake that she isn't moving too fast. But maybe its what she needs right now. I'll continue to pray for her.

I'm also a little concerned; a friend's daughter started out in the peace corps and had a bad experience and came home. I also worry about what a bad experience could do for her.

There are many kinds of volunteer options out there.... hopefully she will realistically look at options....

OnlySunshine

[quote name='AnneLine' timestamp='1337068269' post='2430808']
I'm also a little concerned; a friend's daughter started out in the peace corps and had a bad experience and came home. I also worry about what a bad experience could do for her.

There are many kinds of volunteer options out there.... hopefully she will realistically look at options....
[/quote]

It's almost like she feels she can't stay in one spot. She's constantly moving around. I wonder if she has ADD like I do because I remember how flighty I was when my ADD wasn't under control. I'd hate for her to have another bad experience, too, because she's already vulnerable and sensitive. I'll probably be going out with her after Mass today to get some coffee and talk, so I hope to learn more.

[quote]

[/quote]

I've never come across the Peace Corps in the Palestinian Territories and I don't think they even have a presence here. I've just had a look at their website and they say they operate in Jordan, so I am guessing that MM's friend means a refugee camp in Jordan.

MM, I don't know your friend, and it may well be that she has a lot of relevant skills and experience in humanitarian work, so going abroad with an aid organization would be a logical choice for her. But from what you say, I'm worried.

During my time in Palestine, I've seen a lot of volunteers come and go - enthusiastic, well-intentioned, wonderful people. But enthusiasm and good intentions can only take you so far. Specific skills are needed, and so is resilience. If your friend does not have these things, she may end up doing more harm than good.

As I said, I will happily answer any questions she has and help as far as I can, but I get the feeling that she should slow down a bit. If you've been very upset and hurt, it's natural to try and find something fulfilling to do, but the last thing she needs is to find herself stuck thousands of miles from home with a chronic health problem and a lot of grief.

Isn't the Peace Corp liberal with humanism as it's "religion"?

(Yes, I know, here I go again harping on liberalism! :)....I suppose it is patently obvious from my post that I loathe liberalism!)

she_who_is_not

The Peace Corps is a government agency and therefore cannot promote or prohibit any religion. Peace Corps programs can be social, environmental, or promote business/entrepreneurial endeavors. During the Reagan administration, many conservatives joined the organization due to the emphasis placed on business development. While the Peace Corps has a reputation as a "liberal" organization, I believe this is due to perceptions perpetuated during the early days of the program. While there are Catholic organizations that perform services similar to the Peace Corps, there are certain benefits associated with government service that cannot be replicated on a private-sector level. In the case of MM's friend, their willingness to accept and accommodate older volunteers would be one such benefit.

I applied to the Peace Corps after college, but refused my post because I was concerned about personal safety and medical access.

OnlySunshine

Again, I appreciate everyone's prayerful support. I have not seen my friend in person since she came home. We were supposed to go to Mass yesterday but I sent an email about an hour prior saying I would not be able to make it because I didn't feel well (now I know why; see prayer intentions). Apparently though, she didn't go either, as 3 of my CRHP sisters did not see her and she didn't respond to my email until about 3pm. I went today, even though I was still feeling rather poorly, and I was there only a few minutes before Mass. I didn't see her in the aisles anywhere. I told her I would be there and she said she would be, too. I got home only to find that she didn't email to say otherwise. I don't know what's going on. She's acting a little strange. It could just be embarrassment, I guess. Please pray for her. She leaves in 5 days to go up north and I don't know when she will return.

Give her some space, and pray for her. Let her know you are around if/when she wants to connect. It's the best gift you can give her right now.... she probably has too many people clucking at her, know what I mean?