Jump to content
Join our Facebook Group ×
An Old School Catholic Message Board

Welcome To Club Unicorn


Recommended Posts

Vincent Vega
Posted

I was about to get defensive about knowing what the terms meant, but then I reread my original post and could see how it wasn't very well written.
I guess that's what I get for posting first thing after I've woken up. (doh)

Posted

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' timestamp='1339558633' post='2444185']
Why do you assume its "abnormal" to make a conscious decision to live as a married couple to raise a family? We are not slaves to our passions, as if we have no control of our genitals.
[/quote]
Um, where did I say that? Actually, I said the opposite was abnormal. Why would anyone say marrying and raising a family was abnormal? I could make comments about the motivations of this bandwagon that you started, but I'll refrain.

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' timestamp='1339558769' post='2444186']
Seriously you will not die from lack of sex, but you could die from lack of relationships, they are not the same thing, please do not confuse the two.
[/quote]
It is true that not every relationship is sexual, but there are relationships that can only come from sex. Not everyone is capable of giving those up.

Posted

[quote name='r2Dtoo' timestamp='1339630291' post='2444410']
It is true that not every relationship is sexual, but there are relationships that can only come from sex. [b]Not everyone is capable of giving those up.[/b]
[/quote]

People that are incapable can become capable. Virtue and discipline are skills that can be honed.

Rowan d'Alexandre
Posted

Wow. Great post. Though as previously stated, IMHO this guy's situation is unique. There are definitely some Christians who would take this the wrong way & hold it up as the standard for all Christian gay men.

I think he's got a pretty solid view of sex and its place in family life/relationships as well.

Posted

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwxLzLBV2YQ[/media]

Posted

[quote name='r2Dtoo' timestamp='1339630291' post='2444410']
Um, where did I say that? Actually, I said the opposite was abnormal. Why would anyone say marrying and raising a family was abnormal? I could make comments about the motivations of this bandwagon that you started, but I'll refrain.


It is true that not every relationship is sexual, but there are [b]relationships that can only come from sex[/b]. Not everyone is capable of giving those up.
[/quote]

Such a relationship is empty, meaningless and selfish. A relationship that is dependent on the sex, is a relationship that is doomed. But then...is it really a relationship.

Posted

[quote name='Papist' timestamp='1339637985' post='2444450']
Such a relationship is empty, meaningless and selfish. A relationship that is dependent on the sex, is a relationship that is doomed. But then...is it really a relationship.
[/quote]
Just because a relationship is dependent on sex does not mean it's all about sex.

[quote name='MissyP89' timestamp='1339632368' post='2444419']
People that are incapable can become capable. Virtue and discipline are skills that can be honed.
[/quote]
Sex is a whole different animal, however.

PhuturePriest
Posted (edited)

[quote name='qfnol31' timestamp='1339594437' post='2444252']
I don't think that TheoGrad or Mr. Weed meant to say it's about pleasure, but about intimacy.
[/quote]

Certainly. I actually didn't mean what I said exactly. What you say is true, though.

Edited by FuturePriest387
PhuturePriest
Posted

[quote name='r2Dtoo' timestamp='1339630291' post='2444410']
It is true that not every relationship is sexual, [b]but there are relationships that can only come from sex. [/b] Not everyone is capable of giving those up.
[/quote]

Would you like to explain what you mean, please? It sounds like you're saying some relationships can only be based upon sex, and that is what is commonly referred to as a divorce waiting to happen.

Posted

[quote name='FuturePriest387' timestamp='1339639777' post='2444456']
Would you like to explain what you mean, please? It sounds like you're saying some relationships can only be based upon sex, and that is what is commonly referred to as a divorce waiting to happen.
[/quote]
When people refer to their "lover" you realize that they are having sex right? They're hopefully is way more too it than that, but what makes you think all that would be able to exist without the sex?

Posted

[quote name='r2Dtoo' timestamp='1339638347' post='2444452']
Just because a relationship is dependent on sex does not mean it's all about sex.[/quote]

If a horrible accident were to leave it impossible for a person to have sex, would the relationship fall apart for these dependent people? If sex is absolutely necessary for a healthy relationship to exist between two people, then there is something wrong.

That's not to say sex isn't a factor – sex is extremely important in marriage. But what I'm trying to say is that it isn't [i]absolutely necessary. [/i]It shouldn't be. Intimacy is necessary. Love is necessary. But those things take many, many forms and are different from couple to couple.

[quote]Sex is a whole different animal, however.
[/quote]

It might be instinctive, it might be more difficult to resist, but it's really not a different animal at all. I'll say it again: self-discipline is a skill.

PhuturePriest
Posted (edited)

[quote name='MissyP89' timestamp='1339640461' post='2444465']
If a horrible accident were to leave it impossible for a person to have sex, would the relationship fall apart for these dependent people? If sex is absolutely necessary for a healthy relationship to exist between two people, then there is something wrong.

That's not to say sex isn't a factor – sex is extremely important in marriage. But what I'm trying to say is that it isn't [i]absolutely necessary. [/i]It shouldn't be. Intimacy is necessary. Love is necessary. But those things take many, many forms and are different from couple to couple.



It might be instinctive, it might be more difficult to resist, but it's really not a different animal at all. I'll say it again: self-discipline is a skill.
[/quote]

See? This is why are you are a nuisance. I was saying much the same thing when you posted! :P

Edited by FuturePriest387
Posted

[quote name='FuturePriest387' timestamp='1339640639' post='2444466']
See? This is why are you are a nuisance. I was saying much the same thing when you posted! :P
[/quote]Worst compliment ever, but a compliment nonetheless.

Posted

[quote name='FuturePriest387' timestamp='1339639543' post='2444455']
Certainly. I actually didn't mean what I said exactly. What you say is true, though.
[/quote]That's good.

My wife spends her life making high schoolers feel uncomfortable by talking about sex. ;) I wouldn't take her up on that offer.

PhuturePriest
Posted

[quote name='qfnol31' timestamp='1339640916' post='2444469']
That's good.

My wife spends her life making high schoolers feel uncomfortable by talking about sex. ;) I wouldn't take her up on that offer.
[/quote]

I've been getting better. It used to be where if you said anything sexual I would've left the room in agony, but now I am able to talk about it, and I even read a Catholic article on it once.

PhuturePriest
Posted

[quote name='Adrestia' timestamp='1339640804' post='2444467']
Worst compliment ever, but a compliment nonetheless.
[/quote]

I was actually joking. I was saying much the same thing, but you said it way better than I was going to, so it works out.

Posted

[quote name='FuturePriest387' timestamp='1339641338' post='2444474']
I've been getting better. It used to be where if you said anything sexual I would've left the room in agony, but now I am able to talk about it, and I even read a Catholic article on it once.
[/quote]Beware of John Paul II. He gets quite explicit about what should take place during sex.

PhuturePriest
Posted

[quote name='qfnol31' timestamp='1339641464' post='2444477']
Beware of John Paul II. He gets quite explicit about what should take place during sex.
[/quote]

I know... My sister was talking about him one time and she said "orgasm", saying this is the terminology he used. I about died... :dead:

Posted

[quote name='FuturePriest387' timestamp='1339641407' post='2444475']
I was actually joking. I was saying much the same thing, but you said it way better than I was going to, so it works out.
[/quote]

That was me, not the eloquent Adrestia, but whatevs. She's a razzle dazzle chick, too. ;)

IcePrincessKRS
Posted

[quote name='r2Dtoo' timestamp='1339630291' post='2444410']

It is true that not every relationship is sexual, but there are relationships that can only come from sex. Not everyone is capable of giving those up.
[/quote]

That sounds more like a booty call than a relationship. :|

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...