An Old School Catholic Message Board

Arfink Gets Random.

arfink

Neat.  That art is amazing.    One day I would very much like to watch you work, ARFink... but today it could not be...

ARFINK (and all ) -- had a friend staying with me last night who graduated from UC Berkeley!   She hates the new logo too!!!!!

However... she did make me promise to put on here that she feels I was being unnecessarily harsh about UC using ONLY grad students as teachers... she said she had nothing but full profs.   Go figure... another myth bites the dust..... (if you'll excuse the term!)

BUT I still think that the traditional comments out her is that the community colleges are the practical skills to get & keep a job and a very inexpensive way to get the 1st two years of college and/or an A.A. degree;  The State Colleges tend to be the pragmatic places where you can get a good, solid BA/BS, MA/MS, some PhD's and EdD's  -- but that the focus tends to be more on communicating this to the next generation than on pure research... and that the profs who go to teach at the State College/University level like to TEACH and Want to teach.... The University of California (UC) System (as opposed to the State college & university system) is more prestigious, more research driven.  A U.C. degree on the surface is consisered a 'higher' degree.... but those who went to State Colleges often got as good an education and a more practical set of skills...  My 2 cents... (there, my semi-retraction is published, so my friend will be nice to me again ;)

I haven't done the hangout yet. If you'll be around tonight you could still watch Annie. :)

I'll be chillin after I make dinner. And eat it. Probably 6:45 or 7 PM Central or thereabouts. Sorry it's late Missy, my family is a late-night bunch.

Sorry... leaving soon for Mass and a Church meeting.  I've actually been part of a 'small faith sharing' group that is over 20 years old!!!!  We started as young adults.... and now we're.... no so young.....

But we've seen marriages, babies, baptisms, 1st communions, confirmations, graduations.... and a marriage of a child.  And a couple of divorces, sadly.. and a couple who adopted a baby from China.   It's been a very interesting 21 years.....

Anyway, that's who I'll be haning out with this afternoon, but would love a rain check.  And yes, it is RAINING out here, and I have a mountain to walk.  Fun fun fun!!!!

Well, today was a pretty good day. I started by waking up earlier than usual around 8AM (because I had gone to bed earlier too) and then got cleaned up. I skipped breakfast, which was stupid, but oh well. I struggled and fought and tried so hard to get work done, but because I hadn't had anything to eat I just couldn't get my head in the game.

Finally I had something to eat around 11, and then things got interesting. I had to babysit for a while, which irked me. I tried to get work done and was just being thwarted at every turn, not so much by distraction but just by the feeling that I couldn't make anything work the way I wanted. I was trying to draw faces, specifically Mary's face in the image you saw just now. I railed and whined and it finally dawned on me: I hadn't asked for any intercession. I asked Mary's Child to pray, cuz she was in chat, and I also said some prayers to the effect of "Hey Mary, I'm trying to do your portrait, can you help me out somehow?"

It apparently helped. I was inspired to change the way I was working. I switched from the ink simulation to the charcoal sim, and taped a piece of paper on my Wacom tablet to increase friction and give me more control. It helped a TON and soon I was well on my way.

I took a break in the evening for confession and to make a nice dinner of tostadas, then dove back in for a few more hours. I feel like I'm probably halfway done now. :)

Who Hoo!!!!!    Nice day. 

Food is always a good thing to start the day with... and I will also second the intercession piece.  Helps on so many fronts....

Sounds like you DID have a profitable day (as the Ferengi might put it)......

Gotta run now.... got an Advent novena segment to put together.....

Well, today has been lumpy. I've been a little more active today than normal, and it's taking a toll on me I think. That and this cold I've had hanging around. And the lack of sleep. And the people looking over my shoulder every moment. O_o

I hope for a relaxing evening. I have no idea if it will happen.

A Lumpy Day.  I like that.....

Be careful with making sure you take care of yourself with that cold... this is a nasty bug that will come back for a second bite if you let it.  Feed and sleep yourself well...

Hey Tony --- they LISTENED to us!!!

628x471.jpg

UC suspends use of logo, says it was distracting

12-14) 17:12 PST Oakland -- Farewell to the banana sticker.

The University of California on Friday announced it has abandoned its new logo after nearly 55,000 people signed a petition saying the logo was overly corporate, resembled - among other things - a fruit label and did not sufficiently reflect the university's prestige.

"It is important that we listen to and respect what has been a significant negative response by students, alumni and other members of our community," Daniel Dooley, senior vice president for external affairs, said in a statement. "This controversy has created a major distraction."

The logo, a block "C" nestled in a U-shaped silhouette, sparked widespread mockery when news reports brought it to light last week. Some said it resembled a bidet, a kickboard or a logo for an Internet start-up. "Looks like it's still loading," wrote a Berkeley woman on the online petition.

Students and alumni said they felt vindicated the logo has gone the way of New Coke.

"It's good that UC is listening to us," said Connor Landgraf, student body president at UC Berkeley. "Hopefully they'll start listening to students on other issues, as well, such as tuition increases."

Jefferson Coombs, director of the UC Berkeley alumni association, said alumni were pretty much united in their dislike of the new logo.

"I'm pleased UC listened to the prevailing and really unified voice of alumni," he said. "Alumni are extremely proud of the university's legacy of excellence, and this logo did not reflect that."

The UC Office of the President's marketing department created the logo about six months ago as a way to promote the entire organization, which includes 10 campuses, five medical centers and dozens of laboratories and research centers, to a wide spectrum of Californians at a time when the Legislature was preparing another round of funding cuts, UC spokesman Steve Montiel said.

The university also needed a logo that would reproduce clearly on smart phones and iPads, the preferred communication mode of prospective students, he said.

The logo was never intended to replace the old logo, the classic "Let There Be Light" seal that's adorned diplomas, letterhead, coffee mugs and other UC items for more than a century.

Although, that logo might be even more corporate than the new moniker, said Sam Redman, a historian at UC Berkeley's Regional Oral History Office at the Bancroft Library.

The original seal was designed by Tiffany & Co., he noted. The formal, detailed design was modeled after the crests of the great universities of Europe, as a way to elevate UC's image at a time when its reputation didn't extend far beyond the Sierra.

Newly opened colleges across the country were adopting similar seals, but even among those the University of California's is notably conservative and traditional, he said. It shows an open book illuminated by a shining star, underscored with the words "Let There Be Light."

The seal was introduced in 1895, when the university was less than 30 years old. It's also been modified a few times, most notably when officials changed the original Latin from "Fiat Lux" to the English equivalent.

Redman sympathizes with the university's desire to update its image occasionally, especially now that we live in a digital age and the university encompasses so much more than a single land-grant campus in the East Bay.

"In 1895, they were trying to establish a formal, recognizable identity, easily replicated with a set piece on an old printer," he said. "They weren't anticipating that it would someday go on T-shirts and Twitter."

Still, the old logo remains immensely popular. If it ain't broke, they should leave it be, he said.

"Even after all these years, the old logo still looks fantastic," he said. "It's part of our past, our origins, and who we are today. It really doesn't need to be adjusted at all."

Carolyn Jones is a San Francisco Chronicle staff writer.

So tomorrow is Gaudete Sunday. I cannot believe it's already here. This is insane. And I still haven't done that advent-themed comic I all but promised the Team Orthodoxy guys.

I'm really really looking forward to tomorrow. And I don't even know why. I just am.