An Old School Catholic Message Board

Arfink Gets Random.

arfink

You want story time about the picture? OK.

Well, this is the first bit of real painting I've done since I reset my desk, so the clutter and chaos reflects that. It's actually a really nice arrangement so far, and I can have everything in easy reach. You can also see the improvised paint mixing thing I set up. I wanted my clear paint mixing tray right next to the painting, but it would slide off, so I wrapped rubber bands around it so that it would stay put. The bands also proved useful for holding brushes. I painted this picture for a friend, who had remarked that her walls were very bare and needed some color.

The layout of the place was done with a few simple pencil strokes. This lazy river actually does not follow the laws of perspective at all- the whole composition has been curved and bent in an exaggerated way. I began with an attempt at something in perspective, but found I liked the bent look and kept it that way. The whole piece was kinda built around what came out as I tried new things. One-point perspective gave way to something all curved, accidentally letting the brush get too dry led to brushy grass, and an unevenly loaded wash brush led to a streaked sky. I just kinda went with that happened and changed things as I worked on it.

I also experimented with the white pigment paint that came with my watercolors set. It's very different from the other colors in that it's not really transparent. The white pigment is fairly opaque when it's mixed thick, and can be mixed with other colors to make them more opaque as well as to lighten them. I found that making up a wash with the white pigment allowed me to cover over certain mistakes and produce special effects, like the river's ripples and the sun.

I feel like you need to start a YouTube series about this. You know, like "Can it blend?"

You can call it "FIRIN' MY LASER"

:lol:

brianthephysicist

I feel like you need to start a YouTube series about this. You know, like "Can it blend?"

You can call it "IMMA FIRIN MAH LAZOR"

:lol:

Fxd

Oh my, one more project for poor ARFink....
And he sounds so miserable about it....

I'm a-thinkin' he's gonna be VERY busy....

Soon no time to hang out with us much any more..... sigh.

AnneLine, I found you a new sweater.

Yes, this is a real screen printed sweater. For real.

Also this one:

That first one is just stunning, ARFink. But this would probably be more my style if I was looking for something that gave me just that 'I know this looks bad, but I did it anyway' kind of a style:

(for some reason I can't seem to paste photos today... odd!) But you can see it here...

http://thefosterimposters.com/foster-impostor-commercials-the-leading-poultry-company/132-foster-impostor-commercials/

Edited by AnneLine

Well into any success a little FAIL must fall.

Yes, that is the photo I was thinking of, ARFink... thanks for posting it for me.

It just seems to capture that... 'I really mucked this up, didn't I' feeling...

Us egrets, when we muck up, we feel like we are wearing chicken suits. Who would want tolook like THAT when you could look like an egret?

Who'd want to FEEL like that when you could soar like an egret????

Edited by AnneLine