An Old School Catholic Message Board

Arfink Gets Random.

arfink

Here is the latest preview. 2 rings. All made from circles or pieces of circles. The notches are even derived from a circle that has been segmented a whole bunch. :)

Screenshot%2520from%25202013-01-20%25201

To Jesus Through Mary
Here is the latest preview. 2 rings. All made from circles or pieces of circles. The notches are even derived from a circle that has been segmented a whole bunch. :)

It is looking really good. It is taking much more shape. I think it is going to be very beautiful.

So I am not a very artistic person, so help me understand. When you set out to do a piece, do you have an idea in your mind of how it will look or is it something that evolves as you are doing it?

Usually it's a bit of both. I always start with a pretty well-formed idea in my head, but with that said, it seldom winds up being identical by the time I get done. For this one, I had a little sketch of circles and triangles in the most general sense, and then I just kept making more and more and more layers out of it. I wanted to do it that way because then it comes out looking very organic and such. If that makes sense.

I think that it looks a lot like one of those beautiful Persian rug patterns.  I had an old screensaver pattern at one point that did random Oriental Rugs... and that's why this looked so familiar Ithink...

large225a.jpg

You might also find this article interesting....

http://www.rugrag.com/post/Laser-Cut-Stencil-for-Victorian-Baroque-Oriental-Rug-Pattern.aspx

That's very cool. Math makes the best patterns of course. :)

I should probably point out that I didn't use any math in my patterns really, just lots and lots of circles, and I didn't specifically copy any rug designs. In fact, I didn't use any photo references at all, and just kept making more and more circles next to circles inside of circles on top of circles with a side of circles. :P

That ^^^ (that you didn't 'lift' the concepts from anywhere!!!) does NOT surprise me.

I figured out that you did NOT use any of those things... and yet the Lord God who made them all has infused all art and creation with His touch, his tools... and we are all interconnected (like circles) and all leads to the Trinity (like triangles).  

And of course.. .a lot of those geometrical Persian rugs were 'prayer rugs' - designed to be places for daily prayer.... designed to be places for people to worship.

Prayer rugs are not universally used by Muslims, nor specifically required in Islam. But they have become a traditional way for many Muslims to ensure the cleanliness of their place of prayer, and to create an isolated space to concentrate in prayer....

While some rugs are made in solid colors, they are usually adorned. The designs are often geometric, floral, arabesque.... They are usually designed so that the rug has a definite "top" and "bottom" -- the bottom is where the worshipper stands, and the top points towards the direction of prayer.

When the time for prayer comes, the worshipper lays the rug on the ground, so that the top points towards the direction of Mecca, Saudi Arabia. After prayer, the rug is immediately folded or rolled, and put away for the next use. This ensures that the rug remains clean.

Full article: http://islam.about.com/od/prayer/f/prayer_rugs.htm

I am not the least bit surprised that you have tapped into that commonality of people finding God through beauty.  St. Augustine would be pleased...

I certainly find God when I look at your stuff....

Who would not see God in this....  

It reminds me of a Baroque Church ceiling -- how we get a glimpse into heaven by looking up at the ceiling...

Ceiling of the Jesuits' Church of the Gesu in Rome:

ceiling-ccc-xiquinhosilva-p.jpg

And... it feels almost monstrance-like....

monstrance_72.jpg

Interesting, huh?

The only problem is that now all I want to do is pray or hang out on Phatmass... and I got STUFF I gotta do...

So it is time for me to roll up my virtual prayer rug and head out into the world... prayerfully, of course!

Have a good day, ARFink and all!!!!

Well, it's been one of those days. I didn't get a whole ton accomplished today. Another 6 layers on my laser project, but they're kinda meh looking and may need reworking. Maybe. I've been wrong before. When I've had a day that was kinda lame I often look at what I have made as inferior at the time, but looking back on it later I often find it was as good as days I felt great about what I had made, and sometimes even better. I'll wait until tomorrow before I do any scrapping.

The ICATT guys are gonna be in for such a treat. I replaced a horribly cluttered web page filled with inaccurate information and broken links with a well-organized page that has links which work. The design is what some would call "clean and industrial" which is a hipster way of saying it lacks character and will look bland and horrendously dated in a couple of years. :P

Edited by arfink

The ICATT guys are gonna be in for such a treat. I replaced a horribly cluttered web page filled with inaccurate information and broken links with a well-organized page that has links which work. The design is what some would call "clean and industrial" which is a hipster way of saying it lacks character and will look bland and horrendously dated in a couple of years. :P

I think you mean the webpage eqivalent of these... they are

which is SUPER TRENDY now... but is going to

look really OLD in 10 years time...

I can't tell you how ugly I think this is....

gorgeousloft-300x192.jpg

I don't want my bathroom sink to look like a janitor's closet.... just sayin....

Amazing-Loft-Space-In-Soma-San-Francisco

Or this lovely 'structure' in my old college.... it has to be one of the ugliest buildings I have ever set foot in.... hard to move through, industrial colors... and totally THRILLING to the architects. 

5022_ccsfjointuse.jpg

https://chronicle.com/blogs/buildings/2-san-francisco-institutions-will-share-a-new-building/5022

5022_ccsffacilityinterior.jpg

And yes, they are growing grass on the roof. Good grief!

5022_ccsfroof.jpg

Maybe you can borrow some of that artificial turf stuff from dUSt that he brings out in the summer on Phatmass?

Edited by AnneLine

Yeah, and I love how they've taken that nice stainless steel and scratched the croutons out of it with some sandpaper. I think they call that a "low maintenance look."