An Old School Catholic Message Board

Arfink Gets Random.

arfink

HIGH POINT OF -2?!!!!

What are your windows made of ARFink - 1 inch glass or something? How do you not FREEZE?

How do your MACHINES not freeze?

I'm not being totally facecious.   I ask because of an odd experience I had in an office in the early 1980's.  My office was in an old Victorian building that had been converted to offices.  It could get cold in there, but we dressed warmly. 

But..... one day, we came into the office and my brand spanking new 'memory typewriter' (forerunner to those new-fangled word processors... and to the later computers!) wouldn't work, and it was making all sorts of odd beeping and squeeking noises.  Now it sounds crazy in 2013, but we had been told that if it did that, we needed to call the parent company of the equipment IMMEDIATELY because it was a diagnostic problem.  Believe it or not, it was a short-lived attempt for the 'machines' to be able to communicate with people.... as if THEY were people.  I am NOT making this up.  We were given a phone number to call and after listening to the person calling and asking us to try to do things, next they would say, 'would you please hold the phone up to the machine so we can listen to what it is trying to say to us?   We can tell a lot by just listening to it."  

This particular day, feeling really sheepish, I held the receiver up for the 'machine to 'talk' to the technician.... and after a few minutes, went back on the line myself.  "Well, what did it say," I said with what I am sure was a sarcastic tone.  "Well," the person on the phone said, "we know what is wrong.  Where are you calling from?  Minnesota? Chicago? Alaska?"  "Uh, no, California... San Francisco to be precise..."  "Really!  that's really strange because that machine is cold. It must be very cold at night where you are.  You need to get it a blanket to put on it over night   This is a recognized problem, but we usually have problems with the midwest and Alaska.. .never would have thought one of them would have this problem in California!"  

Well, we thought they were kidding, but once we got it a blanket for the nights, no more problems....

It was very strange being around a machine that could 'talk'.   More stories available....

DON'T FREEZE, ARFINK!!!   YOU NEED TO FINISH THAT PIECE OF ART!!!!!!   (and we care about you, too, of course.... ;) )

Edited by AnneLine

We have double glazed windows here, and very heavy insulation on the house. It's remarkably snug. Our house is heavily clad besides- the interior studs and fiberglass bats are sheathed in plywood, this sort of cloth-ish stuff, then metal lathe, then heavy stucco.

It winds up doing OK, but the coldest part is the floor because it's not insulated. Fortunately I'm below grade, so it's not too bad, but carpet and socks are needed.

HIGH POINT OF -2?!!!!

What are your windows made of ARFink - 1 inch glass or something? How do you not FREEZE?

How do your MACHINES not freeze?

I'm not being totally facecious.   I ask because of an odd experience I had in an office in the early 1980's.  My office was in an old Victorian building that had been converted to offices.  It could get cold in there, but we dressed warmly. 

But..... one day, we came into the office and my brand spanking new 'memory typewriter' (forerunner to those new-fangled word processors... and to the later computers!) wouldn't work, and it was making all sorts of odd beeping and squeeking noises.  Now it sounds crazy in 2013, but we had been told that if it did that, we needed to call the parent company of the equipment IMMEDIATELY because it was a diagnostic problem.  Believe it or not, it was a short-lived attempt for the 'machines' to be able to communicate with people.... as if THEY were people.  I am NOT making this up.  We were given a phone number to call and after listening to the person calling and asking us to try to do things, next they would say, 'would you please hold the phone up to the machine so we can listen to what it is trying to say to us?   We can tell a lot by just listening to it."  

This particular day, feeling really sheepish, I held the receiver up for the 'machine to 'talk' to the technician.... and after a few minutes, went back on the line myself.  "Well, what did it say," I said with what I am sure was a sarcastic tone.  "Well," the person on the phone said, "we know what is wrong.  Where are you calling from?  Minnesota? Chicago? Alaska?"  "Uh, no, California... San Francisco to be precise..."  "Really!  that's really strange because that machine is cold. It must be very cold at night where you are.  You need to get it a blanket to put on it over night   This is a recognized problem, but we usually have problems with the midwest and Alaska.. .never would have thought one of them would have this problem in California!"  

Well, we thought they were kidding, but once we got it a blanket for the nights, no more problems....

It was very strange being around a machine that could 'talk'.   More stories available....

DON'T FREEZE, ARFINK!!!   YOU NEED TO FINISH THAT PIECE OF ART!!!!!!   (and we care about you, too, of course.... ;) )

Yes, and believe it or not, machines still do talk, although not so much as they used to. I remember the old IBM AT systems had a whole complex system of tones and patterns of beats that would sound out at bootup to give the status of the system. They did that because the old glass CRTs took so long to warm up that you'd be done with the bootup routine before you could see anything on the screen, so the only way to diagnose right at boot time was by audio. I could still tell you what tones that machine would make if you didn't have a bootable drive, or if your keyboard had come unplugged. :)

I'll be danged.  Thank you.   That DOES make sense. 

I guess it wasn't as silly as I felt holding a phone to an overgrown typewriter with attached mag-card unit....

OK, two more shots of the desk, because it's been modded. :)

Added 3/4 of a table from Ikea and a cabinet/shelf thing from Ikea as well. The white table had had the 4th leg removed, and was then bolted to the other table using the leg's original mounting plate. That way I can sit there without a leg in the way. Many thanks to Mom for shopping for the stuff, and Dad for helping us put it all together. Love you guys. <3

2013-01-19%252021.33.05.jpg

2013-01-19%252021.32.48.jpg

I know what is wrong with your eyes, ARFink... it is the dazzling CLEAN and EMPTY that is disconcerting them.

They'll be fine tomorrow.

Have a good, musical night!

CountrySteve21
OK, two more shots of the desk, because it's been modded. :)

Added 3/4 of a table from Ikea and a cabinet/shelf thing from Ikea as well. The white table had had the 4th leg removed, and was then bolted to the other table using the leg's original mounting plate. That way I can sit there without a leg in the way. Many thanks to Mom for shopping for the stuff, and Dad for helping us put it all together. Love you guys. <3

2013-01-19%252021.33.05.jpg

2013-01-19%252021.32.48.jpg

Why have two computers? o.o  One a work one? 

One for each eye, no doubt.....    Is it one of those things where it piggybacks the image so you can see more detail?  Do both keyboards communicate with both screens?   Just curious... always curious..... that's AnneLine....

Well, you can use both keyboards, but it's not like one does something different. And the advantage of having two monitors is just more screen space. The computer treats it as one giant monitor that you can then use. So when I move my mouse from left to right it'll just hop from one screen to the next when I get to the edge of one. It's handy when I'm doing graphics and want to have up the main editor window, all the parameter windows, my reference images, and a web browser, and be able to see it all at once.