An Old School Catholic Message Board

Movies You Have Watched Recently

ContemporaryCaflicCrusader

The Birds

An excellent film. I think my favorite scene was when the blackbirds gathered on the jungle gym as the schoolchildren sang in the background.

Ancilla Domini

The Birds

An excellent film. I think my favorite scene was when the blackbirds gathered on the jungle gym as the schoolchildren sang in the background.

I love that movie!!

Did you, at a certain scene, yell at the Melanie, "DON'T GO IN THERE!!!!" I did. :P

Edited by Ancilla Domini

I love that movie!!

Did you, at a certain scene, yell at the Melanie, "DON'T GO IN THERE!!!!" I did. :P

I'm not sure if I vocalized it, but I was certainly thinking it! 

Apparently Tippi Hedren was thinking the same thing when she filmed that scene. In browsing the IMDB trivia page for The Birds (lots of interesting tidbits there), I found this:

Before filming [the crucial scene], Tippi Hedren asked Alfred Hitchcock, "Hitch, why would I do this?" Hitchcock's response was, "Because I tell you to."

I should get into Hitchcock.

Yes, Hitchcock is one of my favorite directors! The Lady Vanishes was the first Hitchcock movie I saw, and it's one of my all-time favorite films. I even have a large Lady Vanishes poster hanging in my room. :)

[media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1J0pUURCj8[/media]

Not A Mallard

Yes, Hitchcock is one of my favorite directors! The Lady Vanishes was the first Hitchcock movie I saw, and it's one of my all-time favorite films. I even have a large Lady Vanishes poster hanging in my room. :)

[media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1J0pUURCj8[/media]

Is it a good place to start with Hitchcock, or should I start off with something like The Birds, Psycho, or North by Northwest?

Is it a good place to start with Hitchcock, or should I start off with something like The Birds, Psycho, or North by Northwest?

I would start with some of his older films first, like The Lady Vanishes, Rebecca (his first American film project), Shadow of a Doubt, and Notorious, which were all made before 1950. There are other that I could recommend as well. Then go for his later ones (Vertigo, Rear Window, North by Northwest, etc.). That's what I've done over the years.

Also check out his TV shows, Alfred Hitchcock Presents and the Alfred Hitchcock Hour.

Not The Philosopher

I saw Wreck it Ralph. It was.....ok.

I saw The Birds as a kid, and it scared the croutons out of me.

If you only watch one Hitchcock movie, make it Vertigo.

Also: Avoid reading stuff about Vertigo until you see it. It's one of those really twisty movies that are difficult to talk about without spoiling it.

Not A Mallard

I would start with some of his older films first, like The Lady Vanishes, Rebecca (his first American film project), Shadow of a Doubt, and Notorious, which were all made before 1950. There are other that I could recommend as well. Then go for his later ones (Vertigo, Rear Window, North by Northwest, etc.). That's what I've done over the years.

Also check out his TV shows, Alfred Hitchcock Presents and the Alfred Hitchcock Hour.

What would you consider the five essential Hitchcock films?

What would you consider the five essential Hitchcock films?

This was hard! There are so many good films! But, among the ones I've seen:

The Lady Vanishes

Shadow of a Doubt (This one is my dad's favorite, and I think it's underrated.)

Rear Window

Vertigo

North by Northwest

Note:  I haven't actually seen Psycho yet. If I had, there's a good chance it would be on my list.

Edited by HopefulHeart

Not A Mallard

Note:  I haven't actually seen Psycho yet. If I had, there's a good chance it would be on my list.

I haven't seen every Spielberg movie yet either (i.e. Schindler's List, Saving Private Ryan, Minority Report...).

I haven't seen every Spielberg movie yet either (i.e. Schindler's List, Saving Private Ryan, Minority Report...).

That's reassuring! I still have a long way to go in becoming a well-rounded movie watcher. I focus mainly on older films. My dad and I are both big old film buffs. :smile3: