An Old School Catholic Message Board

Movies You Have Watched Recently

ContemporaryCaflicCrusader

Not A Mallard

That's reassuring! I still have a long way to go in becoming a well-rounded movie watcher. I focus mainly on older films. My dad and I are both big old film buffs. :smile3:  

Yeah.  I mostly watch the big Hollywood blockbusters.  I do sometimes watch something different, but my top five movies are mostly made up of Hollywood blockbusters (It's a Wonderful Life, a member of that list, might not be a blockbuster, but's still a popular movie that most people know about).  I want to expand my horizons, but I'm a rather scrupulous and sensitive (in some cases) viewer, so I have qualms about graphic violence and nudity.  I still enjoy reviewing movies, but I can mostly view them as a casual viewer.

Yeah.  I mostly watch the big Hollywood blockbusters.  I do sometimes watch something different, but my top five movies are mostly made up of Hollywood blockbusters (It's a Wonderful Life, a member of that list, might not be a blockbuster, but's still a popular movie that most people know about).  I want to expand my horizons, but I'm a rather scrupulous and sensitive (in some cases) viewer, so I have qualms about graphic violence and nudity.  I still enjoy reviewing movies, but I can mostly view them as a casual viewer.

Hey, I totally understand your qualms. That's one of the reasons why I watch old movies; I don't usually have to worry about graphic stuff. 

It's a Wonderful Life is one of my favorites as well!  :like2: Frank Capra made some great movies.

Not A Mallard

Godzilla (the 2014 version)

Watched it for the first time since it was in theaters.  I was disappointed at first, but now I think it's a pretty decent monster thriller.  A little nonsensical, but nonetheless captivating.

Ancilla Domini

Yes, Hitchcock is one of my favorite directors! The Lady Vanishes was the first Hitchcock movie I saw, and it's one of my all-time favorite films. I even have a large Lady Vanishes poster hanging in my room. :)

[media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1J0pUURCj8[/media]

Michael Redgrave!! :P

Edited by Ancilla Domini

Not A Mallard

Hey, I totally understand your qualms. That's one of the reasons why I watch old movies; I don't usually have to worry about graphic stuff. 

It's a Wonderful Life is one of my favorites as well!  :like2: Frank Capra made some great movies.

I do think we should expose ourselves to grit, even if it's every once in a while.  I can take gore to an extent, but I'm not sure that I can handle something like Schindler's List or Saving Private Ryan.

Not The Philosopher

Sleeping Beauty

Still one of my favourite Disney movies. On a similar note, the National Ballet of Canada is doing the Tchaikovsky ballet this summer. If I can somehow scrounge up the money...

Ancilla Domini

I started watching Man for all Seasons last night, for the first time in a while. Great movie! Just one brilliant line after another from Thomas More.

"The nobility of England, My Lord, would have snored through the Sermon on the Mount, but you'll labor like scholars over a bulldog's pedigree."

I had forgotten that Robert Shaw played the king in this. He is actually a really good actor! Completely by chance, my family has been on a Robert Shaw kick recently. My brothers watched Jaws this month, then we watched half of the Taking of Pelham 123 (very interesting movie, but we had to turn it off because of the language.), and then yesterday we started watching Man for all Seasons. It was very interesting to see Robert Shaw in three such drastically different movies.

Michael Redgrave!! :P

Yes indeed!  :like3:

I do think we should expose ourselves to grit, even if it's every once in a while.  I can take gore to an extent, but I'm not sure that I can handle something like Schindler's List or Saving Private Ryan.

Cool, I agree.  :)

So last night I watched two movies: Spellbound (another Hitchcock!) and Odd Man Out, a British drama/suspense directed by Carol Reed and starring James Mason. Both were excellent, and James Mason's voice is perfection.

The Grand Seduction (very funny, although there was a laugh at the beginning and the end they could have really left out.) I laughed throughout, particularly because a portion of the cast of This Hour has 22 Minutes is in it.  

I watched both Schindler's List and Saving Private Ryan in a high school history class.  There was a scene in Schindler's List that was fast forwarded through because I guess it was a sex scene: I have no idea and I don't think we lost anything.  I actually think they only reason we made it through the movie was because it was in black and white, but at the same time it made it more horrifying.  As for Saving Private Ryan, if you can make it through the opening scene, the rest isn't as gory although I think there are scenes which are perhaps more shocking.  I'd definitely watch them if I were you.