An Old School Catholic Message Board

Movies You Have Watched Recently

ContemporaryCaflicCrusader

AccountDeleted

K-PAX. I had watched it before but I enjoyed it just as much this time around. Keven Spacey is one of my favorite actors.

k-pax_0.jpg

AccountDeleted

The Madness of King George (strange but interesting)

We're No Angels (with Robert De Niro and Sean Penn - 1989)

51Zo6s1oV4L.jpg

IgnatiusofLoyola

I don't know why I haven't read this thread before. I have become a Netflix streaming addict, and have watched a LOT of movies in the past 6 months (with many of them being forgettable).

"Groundhog Day" was added to Netflix streaming in March, so I watched it yesterday. I hadn't seen the movie since it first came out.

I remembered it being a funny movie, but it was even better than I remembered (and even had a message, although not a deep one). I'd recommend it.

Not A Mallard

Three Days of the Condor - rated R

An intriguing and suspenseful Robert Redford-led thriller about a CIA analyst who's the target of assassins. A "romantic" subplot that takes up much the movie involving the hostage-taking of a woman, and which leads to the "lovers" sleeping together afterwards, doesn't come off as romantic at all. Yet, the movie is generally well-made with great acting and directing, though a jazzy musical score that was common for 70's movies offers unintentional comic relief.

truthfinder

Romantics Anonymous (Les emotives romantiques - ou a epaulé quelque chose comme ça).

Cute, quick, and slightly quirky little movie; maybe one 'bad' scene for the scrupulous amongst us.

AccountDeleted

The Angriest Man in Brooklyn with Robin Williams. This is a quirky movie about an angry man who has a cerebral aneurysm and is told by an equally angry young female doctor, who is having a bad day, that he has only 90 minutes left to live. The movie is about what the man decides to do in the last 90 minutes of his life, and the doctor's frantic attempts to find him after he leaves the hospital and she realizes what she has done. This is further complicated by the fact that upon closer inspection of the man's x-rays, she discovers that his aneurysm is already bleeding into his brain and he could die at any minute. She wants to get him back into hospital so he can be seen by a neurosurgeon. The man tries to locate members of his family to say goodbye, and the doctor tries to locate him but they both keep missing by minutes and having to continue the search. Not boring.

AngriestManInBrooklyn.jpg

Not A Mallard

The Hundred-Foot Journey

It was good. Not great, but good. It involves an Indian family moving to France where they set up an Indian restaurant across the street from a French restaurant. I enjoyed the first act the most, before the restaurants really tried to bring each other down. With that said, it all leads to a satisfying redemption, though a romantic subplot between young chefs from both restaurants slows the plot down.

HopefulHeart

Sweet Smell of Success, a drama from the fifties about a tangled web of corruption surrounding a prominent columnist in NYC. It has a good script and was well-acted, but it doesn't have a very rosy view of humanity.

truthfinder

Belle - it's like Amazing Grace meets something maybe Jane Austenian (although based on a true story).  I actually found the act very convincing, something that doesn't always work in a historical piece.

Nihil Obstat

Finally got a chance to see Big Hero 6. I was pretty impressed. It had a good message, and the animation was excellent.

Not The Philosopher

I got Song of the Sea on DVD and watched it two times in a row (the second time showing it to a friend). My initial impressions when I saw it in theater are now confirmed. It's pretty much an instant favourite for me. Totally different in tone, content and style from most mainstream western animation these days.

HopefulHeart

Portrait of Jennie, a somewhat unusual romance from the 40s, starring Joseph Cotten and Jennifer Jones. I liked it. It was interesting how the filmmakers used a green fiddler (in an otherwise mostly B&W film) to shoot the climactic scene.