An Old School Catholic Message Board

Movies You Have Watched Recently

ContemporaryCaflicCrusader

Not A Mallard

Portrait of Jennie, a somewhat unusual romance from the 40s, starring Joseph Cotten and Jennifer Jones. I liked it. It was interesting how the filmmakers used a green fiddler (in an otherwise mostly B&W film) to shoot the climactic scene.

​I know that it was cause by a Phatmass f!lter, but...

Chagall-The-Green-Violinist-1923-24.jpg

Not A Mallard

The Prince of Egypt

My favorite adaptation of Exodus.

A Man for All Seasons

A very well made adaptation of the last days of Saint Thomas Moore.

E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial

I cried a little.

AccountDeleted

Purgatory - 1999 - An outlaw band rides into a town that is actually Purgatory, between Heaven and Hell.

Purgatory_-_English_f.jpg

HopefulHeart

​I know that it was cause by a Phatmass f!lter, but...

​LOL, that was great. :D I didn't even notice that it was f!ltered when I looked at the submitted post, so good catch.

AccountDeleted

Mr Pip with Hugh Laurie. It is a very intense and sensitive film - not the usual commercial fare.

dc520e1bae0e689615bd9c6f1550316a.jpg

luxetveritas

God's Not Dead 

God's Not Dead is a 2014 Christian drama film directed by Harold Cronk, and stars Kevin SorboShane HarperDavid A. R. Whiteand Dean Cain. The film was released to theaters on March 21, 2014, by Pure Flix Entertainment.[4] The film follows an evangelical Christian college student (Shane Harper) who finds his faith challenged by a philosophy professor who believes that God does not exist.

I really enjoyed it. Good movie.

Not A Mallard

The Godfather

A brilliant crime drama that makes the mob life look all but unsavory, except for the food.

Big Hero 6

It's certainly creative, funny, and touching. There just isn't much in there that sticks with me.

Nihil Obstat

Big Hero 6

It's certainly creative, funny, and touching. There just isn't much in there that sticks with me.

​It was not a direct reference, but Baymax's preference/default prohibition against doing harm made me think back to a bioethics course I did a year ago, especially when we discussed how many doctors reject euthanasia because of the Hippocratic Oath - which apparently is still considered very relevant in the medical field.

truthfinder

​It was not a direct reference, but Baymax's preference/default prohibition against doing harm made me think back to a bioethics course I did a year ago, especially when we discussed how many doctors reject euthanasia because of the Hippocratic Oath - which apparently is still considered very relevant in the medical field.

​I really hope that's true, especially how things are going here in Canada.  I know there is a group of doctors who explicitly follow the Hippocratic oath, because in many places they do not take it any more. 

Nihil Obstat

​I really hope that's true, especially how things are going here in Canada.  I know there is a group of doctors who explicitly follow the Hippocratic oath, because in many places they do not take it any more. 

​I guess in a lot of cases they also modify the Oath in ways even beyond the Geneva modifications. But still, at least it is something.

AccountDeleted

God's Not Dead 

God's Not Dead is a 2014 Christian drama film directed by Harold Cronk, and stars Kevin SorboShane HarperDavid A. R. Whiteand Dean Cain. The film was released to theaters on March 21, 2014, by Pure Flix Entertainment.[4] The film follows an evangelical Christian college student (Shane Harper) who finds his faith challenged by a philosophy professor who believes that God does not exist.

I really enjoyed it. Good movie.

​I watched it but I didn't enjoy it myself. I like all the regular Christian actors that were in it, but it just seemed a little too cut and dried. Don't know how to explain what I mean. I just didn't like it even though I have enjoyed some of the other non-Catholic Christian movies I have watched.

I haven't been very fortunate with movies lately. I watched one with Shirley MacLaine called Evening Star, and didn't enjoy that. And watched Perfume, which was a very strange and unnatural movie - I didn't watch it all because it was so dark (lots of murders).

It does seem to me that films are getting darker, but maybe things will change and we'll get some more light hearted ones soon.

Not A Mallard

​I watched it but I didn't enjoy it myself. I like all the regular Christian actors that were in it, but it just seemed a little too cut and dried. Don't know how to explain what I mean. I just didn't like it even though I have enjoyed some of the other non-Catholic Christian movies I have watched.

​Maybe this long analysis by Steven Greydanus will help?

http://www.cruxnow.com/life/2015/03/27/the-queasy-appeal-of-gods-not-dead/

------

A Bug's Life

One of my favorite Pixar movies.

Credo in Deum

The Birth of the Franciscans: A great docudrama about the beginning of Franciscan order and its early members.  Directed by Marco Mattia.

luxetveritas

I haven't been very fortunate with movies lately. I watched one with Shirley MacLaine called Evening Star, and didn't enjoy that. And watched Perfume, which was a very strange and unnatural movie - I didn't watch it all because it was so dark (lots of murders).

It does seem to me that films are getting darker, but maybe things will change and we'll get some more light hearted ones soon.

​I do have to agree with you nunsense in which you said "a little too cut and dried." I agree with you on that. I enjoyed the movie, but I was expecting it to be better due to the hype that people were giving it. But it definitely didn't live up to what I was gathering from people. It wouldn't be one that I would probably watch again. 

The same was with the movie, Heaven is for Real. . . .it was okay, but there was more hype to it than it really showed in the movie.

I agree also with you that movies seem to be getting darker. . .and its for that very reason and among a few others that it's a rare occurrence that I watch a movie these days!