An Old School Catholic Message Board

Who Wants To See Me Embarrass Myself?

PhuturePriest

30 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

[quote name='FuturePriest387' timestamp='1351749706' post='2501877']
That first guy's singing capabilities are amazing. He has mastered his voice to a point that is well beyond me, so the answer is no.

Elvis is a definite no. If I am going to do that I will do the REAL kings of Rock, The Beatles.

And gosh darn it, Nihil. I'm taking Save The Last Dance For Me off. I can't sing it as well as I can the others. It's better in serenading the ladies, yes, but I can serenade them just as well with words like "You alone can make my song take flight". And better yet, it's a bit self-centered, which is hilarious because I make jokes about me being self-centered.
[/quote]
Yeah, that first guy is a world class baritone.

Elvis is amesome. I would take him over the Beatles any day. Honestly, I tried, but the Beatles never really did it for me. I like lots and lots of music, and as is often the case I do not [i]dis[/i]like the Beatles, but I do not go out of my way to listen to them, and there are many many things I prefer.

Ok, if I can find a song that you enjoy, will you add it to the list to replace Save the Last Dance?

PhuturePriest

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' timestamp='1351750268' post='2501885']
Yeah, that first guy is a world class baritone.

Elvis is amesome. I would take him over the Beatles any day. Honestly, I tried, but the Beatles never really did it for me. I like lots and lots of music, and as is often the case I do not [i]dis[/i]like the Beatles, but I do not go out of my way to listen to them, and there are many many things I prefer.

Ok, if I can find a song that you enjoy, will you add it to the list to replace Save the Last Dance?
[/quote]

I can't meddle with the poll anymore, so no. You can post it and others can second it, though. Keep in mind I'm a tenor. Lower C to middle C is preferred because I want to stay safe using my modal voice. I'm not against going a little higher with my falsetto, but I'm not going anywhere near my highest note, which is two notes below the C above high C. I'm so close to being a triple octave...

Edited by FuturePriest387

[quote name='FuturePriest387' timestamp='1351749980' post='2501882']

Yeah... About that... I have no clue how to do videos. I am mostly just going to get my camera/recorder, press play, dedicate the song followed by a wink, and then start it up on Youtube as I sing. It will be very low-budget. That is, unless someone wants to tell me how to properly do it if I indeed can on a camera/recorder.
[/quote]
Yeah man, that should work. If you have decent recording equipment there certainly are [i]better[/i] ways to do it, but if you want to do it all in one or two takes, on a shoestring budget, then that should work just fine.
If you have trouble with the video format (hopefully you do not) we can help you convert the file to something Youtube can use.

PhuturePriest

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' timestamp='1351750364' post='2501888']
Yeah man, that should work. If you have decent recording equipment there certainly are [i]better[/i] ways to do it, but if you want to do it all in one or two takes, on a shoestring budget, then that should work just fine.
If you have trouble with the video format (hopefully you do not) we can help you convert the file to something Youtube can use.
[/quote]

I don't believe I have anything else. The camera is a high end camera - it cost about four hundred dollars when we bought it, which was before 2007, so it's not like it will be a bunch of fuzz (Hopefully). I'll just have to see if it works out.

[quote name='FuturePriest387' timestamp='1351749980' post='2501882']

Yeah... About that... I have no clue how to do videos. I am mostly just going to get my camera/recorder, press play, dedicate the song followed by a wink, and then start it up on Youtube as I sing. It will be very low-budget. That is, unless someone wants to tell me how to properly do it if I indeed can on a camera/recorder.
[/quote]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38O5Rk6ge5k&feature=related

I'm sure you could do something like this with basic video editing software. Your computer probably came with it; mine came with Windows Movie Maker.

PhuturePriest

[quote name='Pax_et bonum' timestamp='1351750658' post='2501892']
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38O5Rk6ge5k&feature=related[/media]

I'm sure you could do something like this with basic video editing software. Your computer probably came with it; mine came with Windows Movie Maker.
[/quote]

I would have to learn how to do it, which considering I am from the eighteenth century by heart (Or EmilyAnn said something along those lines, anyway) that may take a while and a few private messages. I would need someone that knows how to do it to help me.

I checked, and I do have "Windows Live Movie Maker" whatever on earth that is.

PhuturePriest

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' timestamp='1351750764' post='2501894']
AHA!

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1MWN_duZfIs[/media]
[/quote]

So-so. That's more folksy. Think on the lines of operatic.

[quote name='FuturePriest387' timestamp='1351751171' post='2501898']

So-so. That's more folksy. Think on the lines of operatic.
[/quote]
Dean Martin, folksy? :shock:

But more operatic I can possibly do.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLC9o_unLq4

Roy Orbison might be out of your range though... I do not really know.

To be honest, most of the more operatic stuff I listen to features female voices. I have a slight preference for the female voice in that genre, I think.

PhuturePriest

Apparently I am totally smart. I did a test on the Windows Live Movie Maker to see if I could figure it out. Pretty simple. I'll even be able to have words on the screen at the beginning and end. Now we just need to decide on the song.

PhuturePriest

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' timestamp='1351751856' post='2501901']
Dean Martin, folksy? :shock:

But more operatic I can possibly do.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLC9o_unLq4[/media]

Roy Orbison might be out of your range though... I do not really know.

To be honest, most of the more operatic stuff I listen to features female voices. I have a slight preference for the female voice in that genre, I think.
[/quote]

Well, it's music you snap your fingers to. It's not really beautiful music. I like it, don't get me wrong, but it's not what I'm going for.

I'm the opposite. I prefer male voices in general. The only female singer I really like is Emmy Rossum from The Phantom of the Opera. But my favorite singers are guys like Gerard Butler, Bruce Dickinson, Josh Groban (Not an option, by the way), Michael Buble, etc.

:Edit: Just had a thought. What if I did two videos? One doing Save The Last Dance For Me and the other doing a song of my choice?

Edited by FuturePriest387

In other genres I have a slight or stronger preference for male voices. Chant is a big one. I prefer male voices in chant.
Punk almost demands a male voice, and while I do not listen to punk nearly as much as I used to (almost never, in fact), there are precious few female vocalists who make that work.
Country is a toss up. Bluegrass can go either way, for sure. Outlaw country seems better suited to the male voice.

Speaking of which, how about some Gram Parsons?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZHJajD6T-M

The thing is, once you know a song and make it your own, it can become any genre you want it to be. Including opera.

PhuturePriest

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' timestamp='1351752278' post='2501910']
In other genres I have a slight or stronger preference for male voices. Chant is a big one. I prefer male voices in chant.
Punk almost demands a male voice, and while I do not listen to punk nearly as much as I used to (almost never, in fact), there are precious few female vocalists who make that work.
Country is a toss up. Bluegrass can go either way, for sure. Outlaw country seems better suited to the male voice.

Speaking of which, how about some Gram Parsons?

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZHJajD6T-M[/media]
[/quote]

Country is absolutely off limits. I don't really like country.

I could probably sing punk music, but I want to at least have some dignity. :P A few good powerful vocals here and there in a good song that I can sing will do well for me. I like music with long-ish notes involved in it. Quick notes aren't really my style, I see them more as a bridge to the really good notes (AKA: Long notes).

[quote name='FuturePriest387' timestamp='1351752890' post='2501916']

Country is absolutely off limits. I don't really like country.

I could probably sing punk music, but I want to at least have some dignity. :P A few good powerful vocals here and there in a good song that I can sing will do well for me. I like music with long-ish notes involved in it. Quick notes aren't really my style, I see them more as a bridge to the really good notes (AKA: Long notes).
[/quote]
Moderate language in this one. :hehe:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=prbTJSIIaTQ