An Old School Catholic Message Board

I'm Back With Important News

PhuturePriest

FutureCarmeliteClaire

[quote name='FuturePriest387' timestamp='1352787491' post='2509060']

I honestly agree with Claire. I think she is right. Lilabettt is right in that we should know what we are praying for, but if anyone questions if Claire knows what she is praying for they should sit in the corner for an hour and think about what they have done. She has gone through more than most naive college students have by the time they graduate. There is no need to tell her that she is naive and that she doesn't know what she is doing. She is well aware.

However. Off-topic.
[/quote]
Lol, I wouldn't go that far. But thank you, that means a lot.

PhuturePriest

[quote name='FutureCarmeliteClaire' timestamp='1352787558' post='2509062']
Thank you so much.

FP, sorry for hijacking your thread.
[/quote]

Don't be sorry! :) You had good advice that wasn't a big deal, and people made a big deal out of nothing. I always enjoy your posts, so never be shy around posting in my threads.

[quote name='FuturePriest387' timestamp='1352787491' post='2509060']
I honestly agree with Claire. I think she is right. Lilabettt is right in that we should know what we are praying for, but if anyone questions if Claire knows what she is praying for they should sit in the corner for an hour and think about what they have done. She has gone through more than most naive college students have by the time they graduate. There is no need to tell her that she is naive and that she doesn't know what she is doing. She is well aware.

However. Off-topic.
[/quote]

I really wasn't questioning what FCC is praying/going through. I do realize that she has gone through more than most her age.

I was questioning whether she should have suggested for you to pray as she should. That does deserve a warning, and that's why I supported what Lillabett said. Besides -- the props on Lilabettt's original post says a lot.

You have to be careful in how you pray ... and be prepared for what does come if you do. That comes from my experience.

Edited by cmariadiaz

PhuturePriest

[quote name='cmariadiaz' timestamp='1352788076' post='2509069']
I really wasn't questioning what FCC is praying/going through. I do realize that she has gone through more than most her age.

I was questioning whether she should have suggested for you to pray as she should. That does deserve a warning, and that's why I supported what Lillabett said. Besides -- the props on Lilabettt's original post says a lot.

You have to be careful in how you pray ... and be prepared for what does come if you do. That comes from my experience.
[/quote]

Props don't really say much. The truth is the truth even if nobody believes it, and a lie is a lie even if everybody believes it. Just because people like what Lilabettt says that doesn't mean she's right. That doesn't mean she's wrong, but I do not think we should go by who has the most props. If we did that I would never be listened to. :hehe:

I agree that we have to be careful in how we pray. But there is nothing wrong with asking God to do His will in your life. That is the entire reason of being Catholic: Letting God into your life and taking control so you can do what He wants, NOT what you want.

But again. Off-topic.Talk about this elsewhere and stuff like that (I'm not angry, I just don't like it when threads are derailed for no justified reason).

Edited by FuturePriest387

[quote name='cmariadiaz' timestamp='1352788076' post='2509069']
[/quote]

You are right about this! I prayed for patience and God is definitely teaching me my lesson while I wait. There have been many times where I wanted to scream at Him because I felt like my prayer was not being heard but then I remembered that I asked for His will to be done and that He teach me patience. Here I was getting mad at Him for doing what I asked... :hehe:

[quote name='FuturePriest387' timestamp='1352788806' post='2509077']
But really, does anyone have [i]any [/i]advice on my parents, or did everyone miss that prelude altogether?
[/quote]

I would just try to be as compassionate and understanding as you can. Your mother, while she may have her doubts about your future, only wants the best for you -- as all parents do. My mom actually tried to talk me out of being a Sister because she thought I was throwing away my chance at a successful marriage with children and a career. Now that I am showing her I am serious, she is my biggest cheerleader. It may take your mother some time before she sees how serious you are. A lot of parents think that their child is going through the "latest fad" and that you will grow out of it. Once you start showing her that you are interested in applying to colleges and you start taking courses, she will most likely ease up. Or, it may take until you graduate for her to see how serious you are. You have had a lot of changes in your life -- including this big news. She may think this may change, too.

PhuturePriest

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' timestamp='1352790295' post='2509089']

I would just try to be as compassionate and understanding as you can. Your mother, while she may have her doubts about your future, only wants the best for you -- as all parents do. My mom actually tried to talk me out of being a Sister because she thought I was throwing away my chance at a successful marriage with children and a career. Now that I am showing her I am serious, she is my biggest cheerleader. It may take your mother some time before she sees how serious you are. A lot of parents think that their child is going through the "latest fad" and that you will grow out of it. Once you start showing her that you are interested in applying to colleges and you start taking courses, she will most likely ease up. Or, it may take until you graduate for her to see how serious you are. You have had a lot of changes in your life -- including this big news. She may think this may change, too.
[/quote]

I've definitely had changes. I think the worst thing is she firmly believes the only reason I no longer want to be a Priest is because of Emily. Meeting Emily a week prior had nothing to do with it. I mean, I'm sure she was placed at this specific time for a reason that I have yet to know, but she is not the reason I discerned out. I suppose I'll just have to show my mother this isn't a fad and that I'm serious. She still firmly believes I hate school, which is my fault. I hated school for the longest time, particularly the liberal arts system. I've changed that perspective and have thought differently for quite some time, I just never told her that, which was really a bad idea. Now I want to go to college and learn different things and to be a well-rounded person when it comes to knowledge, and I'm really excited at the thought of doing Angelicum and studying the classics. I guess I just have to show how serious I am through time and much study.

PadrePioOfPietrelcino

FP, discernment is indeed difficult. If at this time you do not feel called to further discern the ordained vocation, then I support you fully, and will still continue to pray for you. One question I have for you for your OP is that you'd aid you do not feel at home at Conception. I respond fair enough, but we have to remember that different Seminaries exist for a reason because we are not all called to the same one. I do not mean to pressure you into further Priestly discernment, but bring up a point of concern for me. I too discerned "out" for awhile or rather put it on the back burner and turned off the pilot light. In any case God willing and Archbishop accepting I'll expect you at my ordination in 6-7 years and my prayers will continue for you.

For a couple rather brief periods I thought I might have been called to the priesthood, but after some prayer and perspective I found that the only reason I was considering it was as an 'escape' from a problem I was having in my life. Obviously that would be a very bad reason to become a priest, because the challenges one faces there are every bit as real.
If this is the right place for you to be right now, and I trust your discernment that it is, then your parents will come to see it in time. Maybe more time than you would like, but eventually. Be open with them about everything. Let them in on your day to day struggles and questions and victories, and they will see that you are being very honest with yourself and with God.
That is what I think, at least.

FP/Miles, Peace be with you. You have my admiration. I am glad you had a great experience at the Seminary. The Church needs young boys such as you discerning. If Christ is calling you to the priesthood or not, I do not know. I met priests that didn't "feel" the calling, but say they believed that Christ was calling them to the priesthood. So, I would not shut the door on discerning just yet.
God bless you!

Edited by Papist

[quote name='Papist' timestamp='1352814749' post='2509147']
FP/Miles, Peace be with you. You have my admiration. I am glad you had a great experience at the Seminary. The Church needs young boys such as you discerning. If Christ is calling you to the priesthood or not, I do not know. I met priests that didn't "feel" the calling, but say they believed that Christ was calling them to the priesthood. So, I would not shut the door on discerning just yet.
God bless you!
[/quote]

Our retired former pastor told me he never felt the call. He just knew it was the right thing for him to do. He celebrated 50 years since his ordination at the beginning of the year. :)

Didn't read all of the thread, but two things:

One: FP don't throw priesthood out the door. Know that you are still young. It may be God's way of keeping you open to His will. Maybe he's calling you to a different area of religious life than you originally anticipated. Maybe he is also calling you to marriage, just don't lock yourself in a vocation until you are actually in that vocation.

Two: Lillabett is right that FCC's prayer isn't for the fainthearted. It's for the sainthearted. It has nothing to do with "being ready for God to take you up on that prayer." If He takes you up on it, He's also going to fill you with the graces necessary to persevere through the challenges that come your way. He'll give you graces to persevere through a broken heart and to accomplish His will. It very well may take heroic virtue, but heroic virtue is what every single Catholic is called to practice. We are all called to sainthood. It isn't intended for the few, it is intended for the many. St. John of the Cross says we ought to pray for understanding of what God wants from us, and then give it to him.

[quote name='FutureCarmeliteClaire' timestamp='1352785079' post='2509031']
I'm sorry that you're irritated and going through whatever it is you're going through. I get that you're irritated and I'm sorry I posted that in the first place, I didn't realize it would cause the problems it did.

However, I honestly didn't need to hear the above quoted post. I've been on the verge of tears for the past several weeks, and little things have been completely setting me over the edge.

If there's one thing I'm not it's inexperienced. Nor am I brave. I am desperate, and the weakest person I know of. But I do know what I've been through.

I regret posting my prayer. I do. I apologize. It has been getting me through the day every day, though. I want to know that God's will is going to be done. That is my only concern I have left. Somehow, this prayer reassures me. I am struggling with personal issues that are irrelevant at the moment, and I want to know that amid my suffering, God's will is going to be done ultimately. I was on the brink of death rather recently after months of being told nothing was wrong. I was mad at God for like 4 months. Every day I wondered if that was going to be the day I die, and now I know it very well could have. I may pray that prayer every day, but you know what else I say every day? "I'm not supposed to be here." and variants thereof. I'll never be the brave person I dream of being. But if nothing else, my one act of faith of the day is saying, "Not my will, but Thine be done." Yeah, life happens. It smells of elderberries. It happens to all of us. It doesn't make a difference whether I pray that prayer or not, whatever happens is going to happen. It's just how I help myself not be mad at God, and just lose control. I was tired of pretending like I was in control.

I am not brave and I feel like I smell of elderberries at life most of the time. I hope we're all happy now that I've finished tearing myself to shreds. I'd rather do it myself than have people do it for me, which has happened all too frequently lately.

Sorry this is all over the place. I'm exhausted.
[/quote]

FCC - Actually I don't think you tore yourself up in this. In fact there is a lot of down right emotional manipulation in your post. No, I will not let you get away with it because you're sick. I have been sick and I know the last thing sick people need is for people to give them a pass. I am sorry that, as you say, you are easily upset by little things. That is a hard problem to have. I frankly think you are made of tougher stuff than you admit to us or to yourself.

That said: I too am sorry the prayer became a "thing." I gave it unnecessary attention. God hears your prayers and is very pleased by them. But I've learned by personal experience and wise direction that this kind of prayer - the blank-check/victim-soul type prayer - requires a great deal of spiritual maturity and is not something that bears casual recommendation. Even saying it with the proper disposition is a significant challenge for most people. There are many ways to become a saint, many ways to pray for God's will to be done, without explicitly inviting Him to break your heart.

Edited by Lilllabettt