An Old School Catholic Message Board

How Important Is Liking A Girl's Native Language?

Aloysius

I have a date with a Belgian girl on Tuesday (all Belgian students here treat weekends like weekdays and go home and weekdays like weekends for some reason, it is very strange).

Personally, I don't really like Dutch, lol. I prefer Spanish or French or Latin, heck I actually prefer other Germanic Languages over it, like German, even Irish with gutteral sounds is preferable, hard to explain but something about it just kind of annoys me lol, the gutteral sounds just don't fit to me like they kinda do in other languages. probably some kind of visceral culture shock/home sickness while I wait in line for food at the end of long days of classes has given me this prejudice. Although in particular situations any foreign language spoken by a girl can still be kind of attractive. (I woulda gone with a temperature adjective with an extra consonant but I always try to be extra polite about terms on phatmass, this isn't serious cats or anything this is a respectable establishment :cyclops:)

So how important is liking a girl's native language? lol :P jk on that question really but I'd be interested in stories from people who've dated outside of their own native language, but yeah, hmm.. interesting. in the past I have usually slow-played associations/friendships first before ever ending up in a date situation, this is probably the blindest I've been before a first date since 9th grade actually, all I really know is her first name and the language she speaks lol. just kinda threw it out there and am now waiting to see where the chips fall.

Mark of the Cross

If you don't like guttural sounds try Braille! I've never learned more than a few words of Tagalog but it doesn't seem to bother her. Except that we often fight over Bagoong.

A subject I am an expert authority on lol. My wife doesn't speak English. Before I met her, I didn't speak Spanish. I actually sort of have two people inside of me now. I can't imagine speaking to my wife in English, it's like I would be revealing a different person to her. And vice versa, I feel awkward speaking Spanish around people who know me in English. But to your more broad situation with culture, I think "liking" the person's language is more about being comfortable in their culture. I'm American, but I don't think I could have married an American woman, yet I love the English language. Language is part of a person's (and a people's) way of being in the world. How do you like the rest of Belgian society / culture?

Edited by Era Might

[quote name='Aloysius' timestamp='1353622044' post='2514884']
I have a date with a Belgian girl on Tuesday (all Belgian students here treat weekends like weekdays and go home and weekdays like weekends for some reason, it is very strange).
[/quote]

Where are you at the moment and what do you mean with treating the one like the other?

You just don't like Dutch because you can't understand it and it's too hard to learn for the English speaking :hehe2: But since you're going to date a Flemish girl, she can probably answer you at least in Dutch, English and French. We tend to adapt ourselves when we hear someone speaking another language.

But to answer your question: It's not about the language. You have to like the girl, if you like her you will understand her anyway, no matter how much you have to try. Just have a nice time.

I dated a Japanese national in college. I was interested in her language in order to communicate with her. She wanted me not so b/c she wanted to learn Engrish. I always liked German. Since my wife speaks French fluently, I like French.

PhuturePriest

[quote name='Papist' timestamp='1353624398' post='2514899']
I dated a Japanese national in college. I was interested in her language in order to communicate with her. She wanted me not so b/c she wanted to learn Engrish. I always liked German. Since my wife speaks French fluently, I like French.
[/quote]

You dated a Japanese girl?

:notworthy:

[quote name='FuturePriest387' timestamp='1353625843' post='2514907']

You dated a Japanese girl?

:notworthy:
[/quote]
???

Dating an Armenian girl or Scandinavian girl is much cooler.

I don't speak another language well, so if someone else could not at least function in my language, then we would have problems. Then again, he probably would not be a citizen, and thus someone I could not marry. I would not date a guy who did not appreciate part of the cultures I come from or similar cultures.

[quote name='Mark of the Cross' timestamp='1353622412' post='2514887']
we often fight over Bagoong.
[/quote]
A lot of couples fight over this. You have to find a way to communicate your needs without hurting each others feelings.

PhuturePriest

[quote name='Jesus_lol' timestamp='1353626252' post='2514910']
I learned to speak american for Peyton :)
[/quote]

Your girlfriend's name is Peyton? I didn't know that was a girl name.

[quote name='FuturePriest387' timestamp='1353627492' post='2514919']
[/quote]
It is, now, Chuckles.

Edited by Winchester

[quote name='Aloysius' timestamp='1353622044' post='2514884']

Personally, I don't really like Dutch, lol. I prefer Spanish or French or Latin, heck I actually prefer other Germanic Languages over it, like German, even Irish with gutteral sounds is preferable, hard to explain but something about it just kind of annoys me lol, the gutteral sounds just don't fit to me like they kinda do in other languages. probably some kind of visceral culture shock/home sickness while I wait in line for food at the end of long days of classes has given me this prejudice. Although in particular situations any foreign language spoken by a girl can still be kind of attractive. (I woulda gone with a temperature adjective with an extra consonant but I always try to be extra polite about terms on phatmass, this isn't serious cats or anything this is a respectable establishment :cyclops:)

So how important is liking a girl's native language? lol :P jk on that question really but I'd be interested in stories from people who've dated outside of their own native language, but yeah, hmm.. interesting. in the past I have usually slow-played associations/friendships first before ever ending up in a date situation, this is probably the blindest I've been before a first date since 9th grade actually, all I really know is her first name and the language she speaks lol. just kinda threw it out there and am now waiting to see where the chips fall.
[/quote]

I've dated a Puerto Rican and sort of dated a Serbian girl. The Puerto Rican girl kept calling me 'Novio' which I didn't understand meant 'boyfriend' until like the second week that she had been doing it. But she spoke fluent English and we went to the same school so it didn't matter. The Serbian girl spoke spotty English and I spoke almost no Serbian. But that kind of made things fun since it was kind of funny when we were in the middle of a conversation and just reached an impasse because neither her English nor my Russian could convey the idea.

[quote name='FuturePriest387' timestamp='1353627492' post='2514919']

[/quote]

Peyton isn't a girls name. J-lol is gay and you're kind of coming off like a jerk right now.

PhuturePriest

[quote name='Hasan' timestamp='1353628791' post='2514933']
Peyton isn't a girls name. J-lol is gay and you're kind of coming off like a jerk right now.
[/quote]

Is he? I honestly know nothing about him. I just always figured he was straight (That is, if you are not joking because you think you are more funny than you actually are).