An Old School Catholic Message Board

How Important Is Liking A Girl's Native Language?

Aloysius

[quote name='USAirwaysIHS' timestamp='1353721062' post='2515496']
Ask if she likes the carillon. If not, dump her. A Fleming who doesn't love the carillon should be hanged.
[/quote]
I'm a Texan, and don't know what the carillon is. If I'm supposed to be hung, then all is well.

[quote name='Winchester' timestamp='1353721285' post='2515499']
I'm a Texan, and don't know what the carillon is.
[/quote]

I don't either, thanks for making me feel less ignorant.

[quote name='Freedom' timestamp='1353729377' post='2515631']
I don't either, thanks for making me feel less ignorant.
[/quote]
Considering our abilities, it obviously is a trivial bit of information.

[quote name='Aloysius' timestamp='1353622044' post='2514884']
I have a date with a Belgian girl on Tuesday (all Belgian students here treat weekends like weekdays and go home and weekdays like weekends for some reason, it is very strange).

Personally, I don't really like Dutch, lol. I prefer Spanish or French or Latin, heck I actually prefer other Germanic Languages over it, like German, even Irish with gutteral sounds is preferable, hard to explain but something about it just kind of annoys me lol, the gutteral sounds just don't fit to me like they kinda do in other languages. probably some kind of visceral culture shock/home sickness while I wait in line for food at the end of long days of classes has given me this prejudice. Although in particular situations any foreign language spoken by a girl can still be kind of attractive. (I woulda gone with a temperature adjective with an extra consonant but I always try to be extra polite about terms on phatmass, this isn't serious cats or anything this is a respectable establishment :cyclops:)

So how important is liking a girl's native language? lol :P jk on that question really but I'd be interested in stories from people who've dated outside of their own native language, but yeah, hmm.. interesting. in the past I have usually slow-played associations/friendships first before ever ending up in a date situation, this is probably the blindest I've been before a first date since 9th grade actually, all I really know is her first name and the language she speaks lol. just kinda threw it out there and am now waiting to see where the chips fall.
[/quote]

I've dated a few ladies whose native languages were Spanish, German, and Polish. I had Spanish in high school (plus I worked in a restaurant with a lot of Spanish-speakers), never took German, and had some Polish in college (plus my family ancestry is Polish and I live on the NW side of Chicago, so culturally she was not foreign to me at all!). So I had enough familiarity with Spanish and Polish to navigate the language differences. But what is also important is would you want your children to grow up bilingual learning both languages? Would you be willing to learn the language? Do you like the culture?

Edited by Norseman82

theculturewarrior

Aloysius,

If you want to be in a serious relationship with a woman, you have to take her native culture seriously, and part of that, perhaps the most significant part, is her native language or the language her culture is attached to. I think that probably the reason you do not like Dutch is because you haven't looked at it in the right light. You haven't heard that one bit of poetry or prayer that allows you to look at the world through Flemish eyes. It might also help you to be self-aware of your own culture. I presume that you are a native English speaker, which probably means that your culture has been a spectacle for the entire world, and she might be wrestling with that herself.

I would say give a shot. It is a very superficial reason to reject what could be the love of your life.

[quote name='theculturewarrior' timestamp='1353821282' post='2516210']
Aloysius,

If you want to be in a serious relationship with a woman, you have to take her native culture seriously, and part of that, perhaps the most significant part, is her native language or the language her culture is attached to. I think that probably the reason you do not like Dutch is because you haven't looked at it in the right light. You haven't heard that one bit of poetry or prayer that allows you to look at the world through Flemish eyes. It might also help you to be self-aware of your own culture. I presume that you are a native English speaker, which probably means that your culture has been a spectacle for the entire world, and she might be wrestling with that herself.

I would say give a shot. It is a very superficial reason to reject what could be the love of your life.
[/quote]
Basically, Al, you are a filthy racist. :|

theculturewarrior

It seems as though I have said something controversial, and I am clueless about what that could be. I do take culture very seriously, and I would be interested in knowing what mistake I am making.

[quote name='theculturewarrior' timestamp='1353821969' post='2516217']
It seems as though I have said something controversial, and I am clueless about what that could be. I do take culture very seriously, and I would be interested in knowing what mistake I am making.
[/quote]
You're taking something very silly seriously.

You might have a different definition of culture, though. I don't think it's controversial, at all. It's just nonsense.

Culture includes all the little social niceties, manner of dress, dances, songs, croutons like that. And it's all silliness. Some of it might have a practical function, but things like not showing the bottom of your foot, or wearing kilts, or setting table a certain way is all nonsense. I indulge in some of it, but it's not serious.

[quote name='Freedom' timestamp='1353653722' post='2515183']

I think I may be the wrong gender for you... your avatar is pleasant to look at, who is he? Is he a soccer/football player?
[/quote]
Your approach to dating is more like what I wish I had when I was younger.

My avatar is rather pleasant, isn't he? He currently coaches Real Madrid, formerly Chelsea, Porto, and Barcelona. He was The Tablet's (UK Catholic periodical) 2006 7th most influential lay Catholic. Beautifully arrogant with a reason to be, he has won some 20 trophies in football/soccer including at least one a year since 2005, perhaps since 2003 if memory serves. He speaks Catalan, Spanish, French, Portuguese, and English. He has an honorary masters degree from somewhere. He is a master strategist with a very Portuguese way style of communication that makes him fun to watch sometimes including an interview where he made his nickname "The Special One." He sadly had a 2 year affair while living in England as a coach (I think his wife was mostly living in continental Europe with the kids at the time), and if not for that and generally how well we would fit me, he far out does any man I'll probably ever get the chance to date.