An Old School Catholic Message Board

How Important Is Liking A Girl's Native Language?

Aloysius

I have a date with a Belgian girl on Tuesday (all Belgian students here treat weekends like weekdays and go home and weekdays like weekends for some reason, it is very strange).

Personally, I don't really like Dutch, lol. I prefer Spanish or French or Latin, heck I actually prefer other Germanic Languages over it, like German, even Irish with gutteral sounds is preferable, hard to explain but something about it just kind of annoys me lol, the gutteral sounds just don't fit to me like they kinda do in other languages. probably some kind of visceral culture shock/home sickness while I wait in line for food at the end of long days of classes has given me this prejudice. Although in particular situations any foreign language spoken by a girl can still be kind of attractive. (I woulda gone with a temperature adjective with an extra consonant but I always try to be extra polite about terms on phatmass, this isn't serious cats or anything this is a respectable establishment :cyclops:)

So how important is liking a girl's native language? lol :P jk on that question really but I'd be interested in stories from people who've dated outside of their own native language, but yeah, hmm.. interesting. in the past I have usually slow-played associations/friendships first before ever ending up in a date situation, this is probably the blindest I've been before a first date since 9th grade actually, all I really know is her first name and the language she speaks lol. just kinda threw it out there and am now waiting to see where the chips fall.

KnightofChrist

Prolly better if she was just a mute. That way when you do something wrong or stoopid there will be no nagging. That or a chick that speaks french or spanish with an deep south american accent. That'd be interesting.

:|

Edited by KnightofChrist

• 2 weeks later...

it's actually not very common to run into royalty on the streets, I've discovered... I've been very shocked by this fact.

it's actually not very common to run into royalty on the streets, I've discovered... I've been very shocked by this fact.

It's probably more common here.  

in Ohio? :huh:

haha the real thing is that I wouldn't even recognize her if I ran into her on the street lol.  All I know is that there is one Catholic princess in this country who is within my age range so of course I have assumed that I will be marrying into royalty any day now, Belgium isn't that big of a country so it's bound to happen by my calculations.

in Ohio? :huh:

haha the real thing is that I wouldn't even recognize her if I ran into her on the street lol.  All I know is that there is one Catholic princess in this country who is within my age range so of course I have assumed that I will be marrying into royalty any day now, Belgium isn't that big of a country so it's bound to happen by my calculations.

:secret: there's royalty that attends my school.

Edited by Amppax

My input in reference to the topic: I know how you feel, Aloysius. But I think the language itself (the sounds, rules, etc) is more of a boundary that you just have to overcome and once you do, it'll be a lot easier to relate, whether to the girl or to the culture in general.

Over the past year(+), I've been becoming increasingly interested in Polish culture and am actually making plans to study abroad there for a semester, however I'm at best indifferent about how the language sounds. I've heard it sung and found it beautiful, but that might have just been the song. And when I memorize sentences and am able to say them fluidly, it's kinda fun to assert them in a deep voice (because it's a Slavic language so it makes you feel like a boss). But trying to learn the language has been a huge pain mainly because (1) they are sounds that I am NOT used to making, and (2) the amount of declension required is ridiculous. So I'm not particularly fond of the language.. I would enjoy learning German or Finnish much, much more.

But my point is, I'm still interested in the culture immensely.. and I think the sounds of the language, ease of speaking it, and the amount of effort it requires to pick it up is a bit unrelated to that. A Polish friend of mine asked me what Polish sounds like.. and I've often wondered what English sounds like, myself. So, if the sounds of the language become irrelevant to people who speak it fluently, then I think that once you become accustomed to it, you'll get over it.

I know you're not serious, but that's my opinion on the matter anyway. :P

eagle_eye222001

I believe it's simply important to like and understand what girls say.

Within what they say there seems to exists at least a dual-layered understanding.

To decode, you could try to balance both a literal and figurative interpretation.  However, if your femlogic processor can't handle the calculations, better upgrade to this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ezVib_giTFo

theculturewarrior

How to learn womanese:

99% of the time, they don't want to hear what you have to say.  They just want a good listener.  Embrace that and life gets easier.  You will not say stupid things if you spend most of the time listening.  You might come off as the strong, silent type.  When there is a lull in the conversation, just ask a relevant question.  Shy and socially awkward becomes mysterious and engaging.

That is step one.  Next step is acquisition through immersion.  In between listening to your favorite song in the recesses of your thoughts, some of what she says will sink in.  You will know who she is.  You will know what she actually means when she says something completely different.

I haven't figured out how to translate man language into womanese, but a relationship goes both ways.

Edited by theculturewarrior