An Old School Catholic Message Board

Top Ten Reasons Not To Be Catholic

dUSt

Groo the Wanderer

DC - unless i am defending the faith, i am generally sarcastic, horsing, around, or playing the idiot.   if that helps...

DC - unless i am defending the faith, i am generally sarcastic, horsing, around, or playing the idiot.   if that helps...

This sentence implies that you are not sarcastic, horsing around, or playing the idiot when you are defending the faith. Highly misleading. :|

Basilisa Marie

And all the good guys become Priests. But I am one to talk since I am going to be a nun

Psh, no.  My boyfriend is good, and he's not allowed to become a priest.  

Unless we join the Orthodox, get married, he becomes a priest, and we convert back. 

:saint2:

Groo the Wanderer

This sentence implies that you are not sarcastic, horsing around, or playing the idiot when you are defending the faith. Highly misleading. :|

huh?

PhuturePriest

Psh, no.  My boyfriend is good, and he's not allowed to become a priest.  

Unless we join the Orthodox, get married, he becomes a priest, and we convert back. 

:saint2:

Untrue. You could both simply join an Eastern Rite that is in full communion with the Church. I suggest the Byzantines. They're pretty awesome.

Untrue. You could both simply join an Eastern Rite that is in full communion with the Church. I suggest the Byzantines. They're pretty awesome.

I think doing that is kind of frowned upon.

Basilisa Marie

Nah, it's way harder with the Byzantines and other Easterns.  You have to get direct approval from Rome on a case-by-case basis. 

With the Orthodox you just make sure you get the wedding in before he becomes a deacon.  That's what happened to a friend of mine. She went to school in France, met a guy who was also discerning the priesthood, so they went ahead and got married. :)  He's currently a deacon and a speechwriter for a patriarch.

Psh, "generally frowned upon."  Not getting frowned upon is so overrated.  :hehe2:

Edited by Basilisa Marie

Here's to hoping you're being sarcastic! :cheers: I haven't gone through all 14 pages of this thread and it's nearly impossible to tell who's being sarcastic on PM. :|

No I'm not being sarcastic.

PhuturePriest

Nah, it's way harder with the Byzantines and other Easterns.  You have to get direct approval from Rome on a case-by-case basis. 

With the Orthodox you just make sure you get the wedding in before he becomes a deacon.  That's what happened to a friend of mine. She went to school in France, met a guy who was also discerning the priesthood, so they went ahead and got married. :)  He's currently a deacon and a speechwriter for a patriarch.

Psh, "generally frowned upon."  Not getting frowned upon is so overrated.  :hehe2:

Ah, I see.

And I think converting to Orthodoxy just so he can become a Priest is even more frowned upon than switching to a Rite that is in full communion with Rome. ;)

I don't like this thread. Although the intent might have been innocent it is a thread of complaints from Catholics and launching pad for the typical ignorant diatribe from non-Catholics.

Asking me to give the top 10 reasons not to be Catholic is akin to asking me to give you the top ten reasons I hate my children.

<Socalscout takes pin pokes at bubble...POP!>

• 5 months later...

Why don't you come to Chicago and say it to my face you little punk? 

1. A real badass would take the fight to him.

2. roamin is far from little. He is grotesquely obese. He moves around on a sedan chair carried by oiled up gladiators.

MissScripture

We are going to be passing through Chicago. Are you ready to show the world what a big manly man you are by physically threatening people after you got your panties in a wad over comments on an Internet message board?

CatholicsAreKewl

How masochistic of you. Should he bring whips and chains too?