An Old School Catholic Message Board

Top Ten Reasons Not To Be Catholic

dUSt

As St. Augustine once said to a group of newly confirmed Christians:  "Therefore, because you have been made members of Christ I must warn you; for I fear dangers for you, and not alone from those who are pagans, not alone from the Jews, and not so much from the heretics as from bad Catholics. Choose from among the people of God (the Christians) those you would imitate. For if you wish to imitate the multitude, you shall then not be among the few who shall enter by the narrow way" [St. Augustine, Sermon 224]. 

So basically, the fatties are going to Hell.

So basically, the fatties are going to Hell.

Given that scenario, people either choose to be miserable on earth for a slim chance to be judged worthy for a debatable after life, or live on earth the way you deem is suitable.

In other words, some may not choose be an ass on earth in order to be a saint in heaven.

Edited by Anomaly

Given that scenario, people either choose to be miserable on earth for a slim chance to be judged worthy for a debatable after life, or live on earth the way you deem is suitable.

In other words, some may not choose be an ass on earth in order to be a saint in heaven.

May the verbose burn, as well.

PhuturePriest
called it!

I just realized what this meant. You did indeed call it early on. :P

I was so concerned this thread wouldn't be funny the next day. I should have more trust in God and his providence.

missionseeker
If you recall the historical context of the verse regarding believing spouses sanctifying unbelieving ones, I believe that was in the same chapter where St. Paul established the "Pauline privilege", and that referred to a married couple that was unbelieving, and one spouse then became a believer, which could cause problems in a marriage. 

And yes, non-faithful spouses can cause faith problems for a believing spouse.  For one thing, if the non-faithful spouse wants to use ABC or attend an illegal wedding or "committment ceremony" that would cause scandal, especially if it were to give a bad example to the kids, or not attend Mass, or sabotage orthodox Catholic values from being instilled into the kids, that would be detrimental to Catholic family life.  To insinuate that God would call someone to risk their soul (this is in response to FP, aka "the fetus above me" as JLOL once referred to him) and to call it disrespect toward women is truly insane and illogical.

We could just call it being an ass toward them... 

carmenchristi

12 pages of reasons why not to be catholic. 3 pages of reasons to be Catholic. Hmmm. I'm convinced. Tomorrow I will be becoming Methodist. Thanks guys!

Attention non-Catholics, and Catholics who'd like to play devil's advocate.

What are the top ten reasons not to be Catholic?

I don't think there are any.  I have only been satisfied in my faith since I converted.

HisChildForever
It's called avoiding "occasions of sin" and "avoiding bad companions". 

Out of curiosity, what do you think of Catholic men who date non-Catholic women, and Catholic women who date non-Catholic men?

HisChildForever
Okay, you're probably right about the context of that specific verse.   And you're right about the potential problems of mixed marriages.  Sometimes they work, sometimes they don't, but they're generally harder to make work than Catholic-Catholic marriages.  Some people might be called to bear the burden of a mixed marriage.  Others are not.

I like to browse through the "Family Life" section on Catholic Answers, and I've come to the conclusion that all marriages require work. Which I know you know lol I just thought the threads I've seen on there are very interesting. For example, in the threads on mixed marriages that I've glanced through, I've seen spouses in mixed marriages post that they've never had a problem regarding religion - whereas I've seen spouses in Catholic marriages make threads about problems that are threatening the peace (NFP-related, sex-related, in laws-related, the spouse fell away). In other words, a Catholic spouse isn't going to make marital problems a nonexistent phenomenon...and even though both spouses are practicing Catholics, there can STILL be faith-related problems and disagreements down the line.

Are these (reasons) all (except for the like sin type of reasons) going to get refuted one of these days?

Are these (reasons) all (except for the like sin type of reasons) going to get refuted one of these days?

Frankly the majority of these are self-refuting.

I like to browse through the "Family Life" section on Catholic Answers, and I've come to the conclusion that all marriages require work.

Goodness. It is almost as if a vocation requires actual sacrifice. What an idea.