An Old School Catholic Message Board

Top Ten Reasons Not To Be Catholic

dUSt

Roamin Catholic
So would it be okay for me to call you names if I decided I didn't like you?  Would it not bother you?  Because that's the logical conclusion of that statement. 

Don't be logical, he can't handle it. 

Roamin Catholic
Well, can you count on them to not use ABC?  To respect your decision to boycott an invalid wedding or gay committment ceremony?  Will she cause you to miss Mass on Sunday or a Holy Day of Obligation?  Can you count on her to raise the kids Catholic?  To keep "Catholic kosher" by observing the fasting/abstinence rules? 

You can even count on Catholics to do those things. Where are you going to look now? The convent? 

Basilisa Marie
if your boyfriend or girlfriend loves you, they're willing to compromise. even if they aren't the same religion.

TRUTH. 

if your boyfriend or girlfriend loves you, they're willing to compromise. even if they aren't the same religion.

The problem comes when the Catholic starts compromising in matters of faith and morals.

PhuturePriest
Well, can you count on them to not use ABC?  To respect your decision to boycott an invalid wedding or gay committment ceremony?  Will she cause you to miss Mass on Sunday or a Holy Day of Obligation?  Can you count on her to raise the kids Catholic?  To keep "Catholic kosher" by observing the fasting/abstinence rules? 

Maybe some conservative protestants can, but if you read my statement, I referred to "Jezebels", which refers to immoral people who are occasions of sin.  I thought the reference was clear.

Norseman, I think it's about time someone told you how real marriages work: The husband and wife do not agree on everything. Even if you are both devout Catholics that would jump at the opportunity to get martyred, you will disagree about stuff. Sadly enough, she will not obey your every beck and call. When you tell her that the kids will be raised as Thomists and not as Augustinians, she is not going to say "Okay, honey! Would you like a sandwich?" I hope you aren't taking this too hard.

Edited by FuturePriest387

Basilisa Marie
The problem comes when the Catholic starts compromising in matters of faith and morals.

But the problem here isn't about compromising.  The problem here is the language you use to talk about women.  

If you buy into the whole women are more emotional beings schtick, then wouldn't it make sense to "walk on eggshells" a bit around them?  

You can even count on Catholics to do those things. Where are you going to look now? The convent? 

Yes on both counts.  Actually, my prayer to God has been "if you don't want her, may I have her?"

Fidei Defensor

You're digging your own grave. I highly recommend you climb out and stop.

Roamin Catholic
Yes on both counts.  Actually, my prayer to God has been "if you don't want her, may I have her?"

And she is praying to God "If you wont have me, please don't send me to him. I want someone that respects me."

Norseman, I think it's about time someone told you how real marriages work: The husband and wife do not agree on everything. Even if you are both devout Catholics that would jump at the opportunity to get martyred, you will disagree about stuff. I hope you aren't taking this too hard.

The problem is what they disagree on.  Will it be something like "SUV or minivan" or something that can put the soul in danger.  So no, I will not knowingly enter into a relationship that will put my soul in danger. 

you think you would do that?

the thing is, a mixed marriage takes work and communication, not edicts from one person to the other.

PhuturePriest
The problem is what they disagree on.  Will it be something like "SUV or minivan" or something that can put the soul in danger.  So no, I will not knowingly enter into a relationship that will put my soul in danger. 

Okay, section two of this chapter: You are not psychic. You unfortunately do not know what your arguments and disagreements will be about.

Wait, so... how do you meet women who discerned out of a convent?  That doesn't happen too often.  

Refer to my original post on this thread, that will give you the background on what I mean.