An Old School Catholic Message Board

Top Ten Reasons Not To Be Catholic

dUSt

The last I checked, she received her habit about fifteen months ago; whether or not she is a full-fledged sister or can still "discern out", I don't know.  But I don't think it is a maturity issue as much of a language/culture issue (she is originally from rural southern Poland, which some regard to be more conservative than the Vatican itself), so something may have gotten "lost in the translation" - plus I immediately told her that marriage is not just for "bad" people, and she modified her statement. 

However......

When I relect on my experiences in the Catholic dating and young adult culture and how often seeking marriage has been rebuffed (between the so-called "single vocation" and the whole "you have to accept being alone before you can be married" - well, if I knew I could handle lifelong celibacy there is a chance I'd already be wearing a collar, duh!), it really makes me wonder if I am going to have to look outside the Church to find a wife (my former Opus Dei cell leader even criticized me once for seeking "churchy" women - well, DUH, I want a good Catholic wife, not a pagan Jezebel who is going to lead me astray or someone who waits until their looks, virginity, and ability to have kids are on the "dustbin of history" before I'm good enough for them to give me the time of day).  Maybe this is why we are losing so many Catholic  males.

it's a wonder you're still single.

The last I checked, she received her habit about fifteen months ago; whether or not she is a full-fledged sister or can still "discern out", I don't know.  But I don't think it is a maturity issue as much of a language/culture issue (she is originally from rural southern Poland, which some regard to be more conservative than the Vatican itself), so something may have gotten "lost in the translation" - plus I immediately told her that marriage is not just for "bad" people, and she modified her statement. 

However......

When I relect on my experiences in the Catholic dating and young adult culture and how often seeking marriage has been rebuffed (between the so-called "single vocation" and the whole "you have to accept being alone before you can be married" - well, if I knew I could handle lifelong celibacy there is a chance I'd already be wearing a collar, duh!), it really makes me wonder if I am going to have to look outside the Church to find a wife (my former Opus Dei cell leader even criticized me once for seeking "churchy" women - well, DUH, I want a good Catholic wife, not a pagan Jezebel who is going to lead me astray or someone who waits until their looks, virginity, and ability to have kids are on the "dustbin of history" before I'm good enough for them to give me the time of day).  Maybe this is why we are losing so many Catholic  males.

Well my ability to have kids is on the dustbin of history and I am in my mid-20s, it was not a matter of my waiting but a matter of illness. You never know what's going to happen and I am glad my husband did not marry me solely for my fertility which we both assumed I had based on my age. My advice is to reevaluate why you want to get married. There is a reason you are driving women off and it's probably tied to how you refer to non-churchy women as "pagan Jezebels" and older women as dried up ugly infertile prostitutes.

Here's my #1 reason to not be Catholic, I want to be pregnant and it's easily done, as loclicng as I buy an egg from stranger for $25,000 and then have my husband have sex with a cup, then have it all mixed together and put back in me! The Catholic Church says NO to this and the reasons are good.

But just think! All my dreams can come true. The Orthodox aren't as specific in condemning it - they just don't have that mechanism to deal with modern technology. It's only natural I want to conceive, God placed this desire in my heart didn't he? Other Christian communities don't care as much. Who cares if the baby grows up confused about who its genetic mother is and in the end is upset that half her genome was basically PURCHASED like a stick of gum at the grocery checkout line. It's all about satisfying MY needs. ME ME ME ME. I have actually cried bitter tears that I can't take this "easy" way out in spite of totally agreeing with the Church.

#2 Reason to to not be Catholic, the Church requires you to focus less on yourself and your desires and more on doing "the right thing" and other people and their needs. Which sounds great and noble but guess what it sucks in practice.

#3 People can be so negative about Catholicism. There's always some snide remark about nuns or pedophilia or indulgences or claiming the Vatican is rich and oppressing the poor. It gets old. Nobody makes snide remarks about Buddhism.

#4. cliques. I guess this is a criticism of organized religion in general (or a criticism of the human race) but Catholics can be pretty clique-ey. I never felt more alone and isolated than when I was on a retreat with a bunch of enthusiastic, on-fire Catholics from my college. Cuz I was baptized but I wasn't part of the group.

#5. The preferential option for the poor. What do you mean "preferential." What do you mean, read the Sermon on the Mount? so so sooo sorry I'm materially successful. I guess Catholicism is for life's losers. Etc etc etc. Insert bitter irrational jealousy of Jesus' closeness to the poor.

#6. I'm tired of making this list.

My advice is to reevaluate why you want to get married. There is a reason you are driving women off and it's probably tied to how you refer to non-churchy women as "pagan Jezebels" and older women as dried up ugly infertile prostitutes.

So because I want a traditional family with a good Catholic wife that won't lead me astray means I should reevaluate why i want to get married?

So because I want a traditional family with a good Catholic wife that won't lead me astray means I should reevaluate why i want to get married?

:doh:

PhuturePriest

No, your wording and outlook of the world drives women off. I would never call a non-Catholic/non-Christian girl a "pagan jezebel". The very term offends me, and I am neither pagan nor a girl. All women deserve respect and love. Perhaps it is not that your standards are perfect or that you are "too nice", but it is indeed the fact they can see your blatant and amazingly offensive disrespect towards women and it turns off any attraction they may have had for you?

Edited by FuturePriest387

missionseeker

Have you ever considered that you are the repulsive person in your relationships? 

No, your wording and outlook of the world drives women off. I would never call a non-Catholic/non-Christian girl a "pagan jezebel". The very term offends me, and I am neither pagan nor a girl. All women deserve respect and love. Perhaps it is not that your standards are perfect or that you are "too nice", but it is indeed the fact they can see your blatant and amazingly offensive disrespect towards women and it turns off any attraction they may have had for you?

It's called avoiding "occasions of sin" and "avoiding bad companions". 

Have you ever considered that you are the repulsive person in your relationships? 

Have you ever considered that you are lobbing false accusations?  Of course, in some people's eyes, simply wanting to establish a family makes me repulsive to them, so I just consider the source.

Edited by Norseman82

Basilisa Marie

Two things: 

1: When you say "good Catholic wife," what do you mean? On one hand, it's good to look for virtues and faith in a potential spouse. On the other hand, from this and other posts you've made, it sounds to me like maybe you've got this ideal of a "good Catholic wife" in your head, and maybe she doesn't exist.  It sounds like you might be more interested in an ideal than a real, flawed human being, that you might think there's nothing between a saint and a harpy. Sometimes your posts sound like you're talking about women as if they're objects.  Maybe not objects of lust, but objects that will give you children and won't tempt you to sin.  It doesn't speak much to a real relationship. 

2. Although the people in our life can be a source of temptation, we have to always take chief responsibility for our own sin.  Here it sounds like you'd want to put the blame on someone else. 

I'm just saying this to clear up why I (and maybe others) react the way we do to some of the things you post.  I'm not saying this is what you mean by them, but this is how they are often perceived by me.  

missionseeker

Have you ever considered that you are lobbing false accusations?

I didn't accuse anyone of anything. I asked if you had considered that women aren't the problem. That perhaps what you do and say and how you talk to and approach women - particularly in regards to dating comes off as repulsive to women? 

Edited by missionseeker

PhuturePriest

Have you ever considered that you are lobbing false accusations?

So because a woman is not Catholic she is suddenly an "occasion of sin" and a "bad companion"? This is what I'm talking about: The utter disrespect you show towards women. Want a Catholic girl? Great. So would I if I was looking. But that doesn't make non-Catholic girls "jezebels" and "bad companions". My friend Jeff is a devout Catholic, and he found one of the most wonderfully sweet, caring and beautiful girls you will ever meet, despite the fact she isn't Catholic. They're getting married soon after a few years of dating. Has it ever occurred to you that instead of shunning non-Catholic women God sometimes calls you to marry one and use you as the tool to her conversion?

Basilisa Marie

It's possible to avoid occasions of sin and bad companions without the name-calling.  

So because a woman is not Catholic she is suddenly an "occasion of sin" and a "bad companion"? This is what I'm talking about: The utter disrespect you show towards women. Want a Catholic girl? Great. So would I if I was looking. But that doesn't make non-Catholic girls "jezebels" and "bad companions". My friend Jeff is a devout Catholic, and he found one of the most wonderfully sweet, caring and beautiful girls you will ever meet, despite the fact she isn't Catholic. They're getting married soon after a few years of dating. Has it ever occurred to you that instead of shunning non-Catholic women God sometimes calls you to marry one and use you as the tool to her conversion?

uh-oh, better watch out! Norse is going to turn on you because you're younger than him and not showing him "respect" for your elders. :hehe:

Has it ever occurred to you that instead of shunning non-Catholic women God sometimes calls you to marry one and use you as the tool to her conversion?

it's almost like there is a Bible verse about that. :|

Roamin Catholic

Have you ever considered that you are lobbing false accusations?  Of course, in some people's eyes, simply wanting to establish a family makes me repulsive to them, so I just consider the source.

After hearing this, you deserve to stay single. 

PhuturePriest
uh-oh, better watch out! Norse is going to turn on you because you're younger than him and not showing him "respect" for your elders. :hehe:

it's almost like there is a Bible verse about that. :|

I'm so sorry for not being able to prop this. Please know I am propping it mentally and will prop tomorrow. :hehe: