An Old School Catholic Message Board

Top Ten Reasons Not To Be Catholic

dUSt

theculturewarrior
Only 10?

I say this with the respect of a devoted husband and father.  The Catholic Church suffers from a lack of Armenian women.  You're beautiful. God bless!

Catholicism is a remarkably social and historical phenomenon, not the unchanging institution it has imagined itself to be since the Council of Trent.

This is precisely the reason that I am Catholic and not Orthodox.

Council of Laodicea, CANON XXXIII:

No one shall join in prayers with heretics or schismatics.

Context is everything, Tardis.  Are you playing devil's advocate or have you had another loss of faith?

I say this with the respect of a devoted husband and father.  The Catholic Church suffers from a lack of Armenian women.  You're beautiful. God bless!

Thank you.

theculturewarrior
Because being Catholic would make this a serious issue.  

I think most non-Catholics have a greater objection to viewing a wafer as God.  That's my contribution as advocata diaboli.

9. Focusing on mortal sins and the urgent need to confess them takes away from the forgiveness freely offered to us when we repent.

I actually just learned that we (Oriental Orthodox, at least Armenians) have mortal sins today.

Too many rules. Namely contraception. That was a little much for me.

Other than that, I really still have a fondness for Catholicism and love the rich history (good and bad) and Tradition. I respect it a lot.

theculturewarrior

I think it might help if we are going to play devil's advocate by prefacing it with some kind of taco, so nobody's conscience is betrayed.  We need a new taco for this.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="theculturewarrior" data-cid="2531950" data-time="1357987182"><p>
I think it might help if we are going to play devil's advocate by prefacing it with some kind of taco, so nobody's conscience is betrayed. We need a new taco for this.</p></blockquote>

Wha? How is your conscience betrayed if you're merely playing devils advocate? Or maybe I'm delirious and just don't get if you're kidding, lol

theculturewarrior

I have a hard time keeping up with whether or not people really mean what they say.  I demand advocata diaboli tacos.

theculturewarrior

I think that the biggest obstacle that most non-Catholics have is Catholic culture.  It is exclusive and unforgiving.  It is traditional in ways that are at odds with the actual teachings of the Church.  The demand for conformity is in stark contrast to the actual example that Christ set in the Gospel.  Confession is very good reason to be Catholic my estimation, but the fact we can commit genocide and then go to confession feeling renewed damages the way we treat people and may generate a feeling of being excluded to outsiders.  And in that sense, we really look no different than anyone, so why be Catholic, the outsider asks?  And the sad truth, is that "I don't care," is the only honest answer that most Catholics could give.

theculturewarrior

You know, it feels like posting to Phatmass puts my family in danger.  That is just sad.  Okay, you have finally driven me off.  I have created a paper trail if anyone wants to come find me.

Fidei Defensor
Context is everything, Tardis.  Are you playing devil's advocate or have you had another loss of faith?

:paco2: