An Old School Catholic Message Board

Top Ten Reasons Not To Be Catholic

dUSt

PhuturePriest

A reason I would leave the Church is so I could finally talk about how I hate tacos without judgement from fellow Catholics.

PhuturePriest

I am an excellent Catholic! At Mass today I received the Eucharist, and without thinking about it I didn't chew it, I just broke it up with my tongue for a few moments and swallowed!

10:    The Papacy

9:  Transubstantiation

8:  Anti-Choice

7:  Anti-Gay

6:  Mandatory Celibacy (for most clergy)

5: Dogmas necessary for salvation

4:  Mostly boring sermons

3:  Services not in the vernacular

2:  Gender Inequality (esp. in terms of ordination)

1:  Claims to be "The One True Church"

I am an excellent Catholic! At Mass today I received the Eucharist, and without thinking about it I didn't chew it, I just broke it up with my tongue for a few moments and swallowed!

I think it takes a little more than that, but good start. :|

10:    The Papacy

9:  Transubstantiation

8:  Anti-Choice

7:  Anti-Gay

6:  Mandatory Celibacy (for most clergy)

5: Dogmas necessary for salvation

4:  Mostly boring sermons

3:  Services not in the vernacular

2:  Gender Inequality (esp. in terms of ordination)

1:  Claims to be "The One True Church"

:shock: What is that I see on yonder horizon? An axe to grind? Why yes, I think it is!

PhuturePriest
I think it takes a little more than that, but good start. :|

:shock: What is that I see on yonder horizon? An axe to grind? Why yes, I think it is!

I honestly have no clue as to what the point of this thread is. It just seems like a big open target for people angry at the Church to start debates.

Fidei Defensor

I think the point is to gather common reasons why someone would not be a Catholic as to better show the world why said things aren't true/as bad as they seem.

I honestly have no clue as to what the point of this thread is. It just seems like a big open target for people angry at the Church to start debates.

Ask me not. I just wanted to complain about Bugnini. 

I'm not angry at the Church. I just think that Vincent Bugliosi has a funny last name.

"I'm going to kick you in your bugliosi!" 

I'm not angry at the church. I am angry at stupid humans (they are everywhere!). and myself. and certain parts of organized Protestant "Christian" culture.  Darn humanity...

Edited by Light and Truth

all he good girls end up being nuns :P

Believe it or not, when the last lady I dated broke up with me to enter a religious community, she told me "That's the risk you take when dating a religious girl" and if I wanted to get married, I should look for a "bad girl" (HER words, NOT MINE!).  Gee, thanks, I'm glad to see all my efforts go to waste!

PhuturePriest
Believe it or not, when the last lady I dated broke up with me to enter a religious community, she told me "That's the risk you take when dating a religious girl" and if I wanted to get married, I should look for a "bad girl" (HER words, NOT MINE!).  Gee, thanks, I'm glad to see all my efforts go to waste!

I sure do hope she matured a little more once she entered the Community. Is she still in it, or did you just stop caring after that sweet conversation?

I sure do hope she matured a little more once she entered the Community. Is she still in it, or did you just stop caring after that sweet conversation?

The last I checked, she received her habit about fifteen months ago; whether or not she is a full-fledged sister or can still "discern out", I don't know.  But I don't think it is a maturity issue as much of a language/culture issue (she is originally from rural southern Poland, which some regard to be more conservative than the Vatican itself), so something may have gotten "lost in the translation" - plus I immediately told her that marriage is not just for "bad" people, and she modified her statement. 

However......

When I relect on my experiences in the Catholic dating and young adult culture and how often seeking marriage has been rebuffed (between the so-called "single vocation" and the whole "you have to accept being alone before you can be married" - well, if I knew I could handle lifelong celibacy there is a chance I'd already be wearing a collar, duh!), it really makes me wonder if I am going to have to look outside the Church to find a wife (my former Opus Dei cell leader even criticized me once for seeking "churchy" women - well, DUH, I want a good Catholic wife, not a pagan Jezebel who is going to lead me astray or someone who waits until their looks, virginity, and ability to have kids are on the "dustbin of history" before I'm good enough for them to give me the time of day).  Maybe this is why we are losing so many Catholic  males.