An Old School Catholic Message Board

Top Ten Reasons Not To Be Catholic

dUSt

Yeah I didn't take it as a jab lol

We have sparred enough in the past, I think you recognize when we are butting heads. :smile3:

• 3 weeks later...

This is the best and most entertaining thing to happen on Phatmass in such a long time.

Oh?  Do I amuse you?  Am I here to entertain you - like a clown?

I didn't say you were bad at it.

27187994.jpg

Maybe when you're old enough mom and dad will let you watch "Goodfellas"......

missionseeker

Maybe when you act with respect toward other people, they won't think you're a jerk. Or a clown.  

fear to me is the biggest one.  Anti-catholics say all kinds of crap and it ends up making people fearfull of the Church.

Maybe when you act with respect toward other people, they won't think you're a jerk. Or a clown.  

And your remark is a shining example of that?  Having problem seeing with that beam?

missionseeker

And your remark is a shining example of that?  Having problem seeing with that beam?

That was a quite a charitable post/response to a plethora of unpleasant and uncharitable posts by you towards FuturePriest. And others. I think it's a shame that you think bullying others is fine and feel the need to avoid people who are "living in sin" (who the heck isn't living in sin??) but can't when someone points out to you that you're being rude and not at all funny you accuse them of having a beam in their eyes. 

interesting. 

Edited by missionseeker

That was a quite a charitable post/response to a plethora of unpleasant and uncharitable posts by you towards FuturePriest. And others. I think it's a shame that you think bullying others is fine and feel the need to avoid people who are "living in sin" (who the heck isn't living in sin??) but can't when someone points out to you that you're being rude and not at all funny you accuse them of having a beam in their eyes. 

interesting. 

It's called avoiding "occasions of sin" and "avoiding bad companions". 

Look, kid, we're supposed to avoid occasions of sin; that is a teaching of the Church, which obviously is concerned about us avoiding temptation.  You say to discuss and communicate before saying "I do"; one could just as easily say "I'm not going to waste my time" the minute one sees that the person is "Trouble with a capital 'T'".  Does that make sense?

Dobra noc.

Well, can you count on them to not use ABC?  To respect your decision to boycott an invalid wedding or gay committment ceremony?  Will she cause you to miss Mass on Sunday or a Holy Day of Obligation?  Can you count on her to raise the kids Catholic?  To keep "Catholic kosher" by observing the fasting/abstinence rules? 

Maybe some conservative protestants can, but if you read my statement, I referred to "Jezebels", which refers to immoral people who are occasions of sin.  I thought the reference was clear.

The problem is what they disagree on.  Will it be something like "SUV or minivan" or something that can put the soul in danger.  So no, I will not knowingly enter into a relationship that will put my soul in danger. 

No, but one can take reasonable and prudent precautions.  If I see that the person only occasionally attends Mass, is promiscouous or has openly non-Catholic attitudes, etc. that is a sign of trouble and I will simply not pursue her. 

No, that's not my job. 

Yeah, I can see the plethora of uncharitable and unpleasant posts here.   

I guess I am confusing people with facts.

Edited by Norseman82

missionseeker

no. you are confusing persons for near occasions of sin. If you're going to sleep with your friend's live-in girlfriend, then by all means, avoid their house. Otherwise, THAT'S NOT A NEAR OCCASION OF SIN. It's not even condoning sin. Otherwise, Jesus would have never let Mary Magdalen or the women at the well anywhere near him. How abut the tax collectors? Equating people as sins is a terrible mistake and you miss out on a lot of grace and God sent help. 

I do not have time to dig through posts (though it would not take much digging). But you have on numerous occasions been outright mean to others on this phorum. Here's and example: 

no. you are confusing persons for near occasions of sin. If you're going to sleep with your friend's live-in girlfriend, then by all means, avoid their house. Otherwise, THAT'S NOT A NEAR OCCASION OF SIN. It's not even condoning sin. Otherwise, Jesus would have never let Mary Magdalen or the women at the well anywhere near him. How abut the tax collectors? Equating people as sins is a terrible mistake and you miss out on a lot of grace and God sent help. 

You are factually incorrect.

Get a Baltimore Catechism.  In it people are clearly identified as a class of "occasion of sin"

https://www.pcpbooks.net/docs/baltimore_catechism.pdf   (Q. 207)

http://www.ourladyswarriors.org/faith/bc3-18.htm   (Q. 774-775)

Plus, the term I have seen in some print editions is "bad companion" .

I do not have time to dig through posts (though it would not take much digging). But you have on numerous occasions been outright mean to others on this phorum. Here's and example: 

Interesting.  FP is called "fetus" and is told it it is past his bedtime by other people in other posts, and he himself hypocritically insults another poster's adult friend by questioning her fitness for marriage (when she seeks to obtain legally that which he has obtained illegally), and you gloss over those and choose to attack me... 

Yeah.  Right.   :rolleyes:

Edited by Norseman82

Has it ever occurred to you that instead of shunning non-Catholic women God sometimes calls you to marry one and use you as the tool to her conversion?

Saving souls is not your job? I'm afraid you don't come across as quite the Catholic on fire for souls you like to think of yourself as. Saving souls is our mission in this life, whether we are Priests or married. Perhaps you should read the lives of the Saints, as they have quite a few words on how it is our mission to save souls.

Granted, there may be some non-Catholic Christians who might make better Catholics than some Catholics (I have run across them); however, it is not our job to marry someone to convert them.

From the Baltimore Catechism:

Q. 1043. Does the Church seek to make converts by its laws concerning mixed marriages?

A. The Church does not seek to make converts by its laws concerning mixed marriages, but seeks only to keep its children from losing their faith and becoming perverts by constant company with persons not Catholics. The Church does not wish persons to become Catholics merely for the sake of marrying Catholics. Such conversions are, as a rule, not sincere, do no good, but rather make such converts hypocrites and guilty of greater sins, especially sins of sacrilege.

http://www.ourladyswarriors.org/faith/bc3-26.htm

PhuturePriest

Interesting.  FP is called "fetus" and is told it it is past his bedtime by other people in other posts, and he himself hypocritically insults another poster's adult friend by questioning her fitness for marriage (when she seeks to obtain legally that which he has obtained illegally), and you gloss over those and choose to attack me... 

Yeah.  Right.   :rolleyes:

I don't even know what you're talking about.