An Old School Catholic Message Board

Protestant-proofing Our Kids

Katholikos

Katholikos

P3chrmd wrote:

"That is why my kids will be brought up in a Catholic school because I want them to have that...something I didn't! I mean I was raised christian..but very loosely and most importantly NOT CATHOLIC! But thank GOD I AM NOW...and My kids will always be!"

It made me think -- with all the traps set for our kids, to draw them out of the Church, how can we "Protestant-proof" them and keep them Catholic?

The worst thing that could happen to me is not that I should die, but that I should lose my Catholic faith!

Ave Cor Mariae, Likos

Edited by Katholikos

There are a lot of issues with this, but I can tell you that sending them to "Catholic" school is not going to help them keep the Faith! All this does is promote concepts of "tolerance" (relativism) and other heresies. The Masses are horrible, worse than Life Teen. You could not imagine how bad it is. This is all coming from a 17 year old male, by the way. Since I'm on that topic, the uniforms are also horribly immodest. They claim that girls' skirts have to be two inches above the knee (at least at my school, and that is too short anyway), but in practice they are closer to the girls' hips than to their knees. The only way to go is to homeschool. There are also some nice Catholic homeschooling programs where the children go to a school twice per week and do the rest at home. This programs also work well. Also, you have to be cautious about a lot of the CCD classes. God bless.

littleflower+JMJ

[quote name='mulls' date='May 26 2004, 12:09 PM'] don't let them read the bible!!

hahahahahahaha jk [/quote]
but tht would mean they cant go to mass then! since the first part is all about scripture! ;)

the lumberjack

1. don't let them be "because" Catholics.

many of the catholics I know were converted because they knew or know very very little about catholocism. "Because I was raised Catholic"

2. keep them grounded in Christ

nuff said.

3. raise them in the Lord's ways.

Keep Mary's mantle around them...Consecrate your family to the Immaculate Heart.

Edited by Anna

I posted this list once before, but it tells how NOT to Protestant-proof your kids. So in order to Protestant-proof them, you'd need to do the exact opposite of these things ...

1) Avoid the use of the word "sin."
- It may develop in the child a "guilt complex." This will prepare them to believe that there is no right or wrong.

2) Never take your child to confession.
- This will ingrain the concept that no one sins and there was no need for Christ's life, passion, death, and resurrection.

3) Drop off and pick up your child from CCD class and never take them to Mass.
- If Mass is not important to you, how can it be for your child?

4) Never pray, say a rosary, or read the Bible at home.
- The child will see that the faith is something that is only preached, not practiced.

5) Never discuss or teach the Catholic faith in your home.
- The child will think if Catholicism is not worth talking about, why bother.

6)Pick and choose Catholic teachings you wish to follow.
- That way your child will learn their opinion is superior to God.

7) Come to Sunday Mass informally clad.
- Not being well dressed makes a statement that the Mass and the Blessed Sacrament are not worth respect.

8) Only come to church on holidays such as Easter and Christmas.
- The child will see that you are a hypocrite.

9) Don't have religious pictures, crucifixes, or statues in your home.
- This way the child will not be frequently reminded of Christ and His Church.

10) Tell your child that one religion is as good as another.
- The child will doubt the Holy Roman Catholic Church is God's one true Church and also doubt Christ's words,"I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me" (John 14:6).

Edited by Dave

Livin_the_MASS

[quote name='Katholikos' date='May 26 2004, 11:53 AM']P3chrmd wrote: 

"That is why my kids will be brought up in a Catholic school because I want them to have that...something I didn't! I mean I was raised christian..but very loosely and most importantly NOT CATHOLIC! But thank GOD I AM NOW...and My kids will always be!"

It made me think --  with all the traps set for our kids, to draw them out of the Church, how can we "Protestant-proof" them and keep them Catholic?

The worst thing that could happen to me is not that I should die, but that I should lose my Catholic faith! 

Ave Cor Mariae, Likos[/quote]
Number one it starts in the home! Parents must be the example. Let your kids see you say your daily prayers. Big thing a family Rosary every night. Teaching them that prayer is teaching excuse me praying the Gospel.

I went to a Catholic School and I didn't know nothing like I know now (by God's good grace)! I think it's up to us parents. When you go out to eat say grace (a little witness), Talk about our faith read Scripture daily to our children. Fill our homes with holy sacramentals, crucifixes and holy reminders.

But the big thing is example and prayer. ;) If you can go to daily Mass go, kids watch everything, "daddy where you going, are you going too Church?" They see. Take them to Eucharistic Adoration with you, give them a little bible book or some kid book to read while your there. They will see us adoring God, it will touch there hearts.

Before school can happen outside the house it has to happen inside the house. Because when they go out, there are so many things that take your focus away, friends, party tonight,...... If there not taught and ready to meet the world it is overwhelming and can be bad. They need it in the home all of their lives. The vocation of a married couple is a big responsibility!

In the love of Christ
Jason

Dave,

EXCELLENT post--you are right on the money!!!! Remember, too, Catholic parenting is a lot like bowling---even after years and years, hardly anyone bowls a 300 game--even with all that practice! Parents need to remember the Holy Trinity is there to help them, and just like the oxygen masks on the airplane, parents need to be connected before helping their kids.

Archangel Raphael

Arg.. I just know I have to be amongst the few that really know what being a true Catholic is. I hate to sound a bit offensive, but then again, when was the truth always peachy? But many of you are treating protestants like freaking heathens, stop it. How about "Satan-proofing" your children instead? Dear God...

Archangel Raphael

[quote]P3chrmd wrote:

"That is why my kids will be brought up in a Catholic school because I want them to have that...something I didn't! I mean I was raised christian..but very loosely and most importantly NOT CATHOLIC! But thank GOD I AM NOW...and My kids will always be!"[/quote]

Reality check, I know plenty people who go to Catholic school and can care less about a relationship with God. Infact, I know one who used to be a witch. She used to go to Catholic school all her life, just recently graduated. Though luckily, last Autumn, she truly became Saved. And how was she Saved? By me showing the Love of Christ and keeping in constant prayer for her for the past 3 years I knew her, now going on nearly 4.

Edited by Archangel Raphael

[quote name='Archangel Raphael' date='May 26 2004, 04:22 PM'] Arg.. I just know I have to be amongst the few that really know what being a true Catholic is. I hate to sound a bit offensive, but then again, when was the truth always peachy? But many of you are treating protestants like freaking heathens, stop it. How about "Satan-proofing" your children instead? Dear God... [/quote]
amen.

i can't wait for katholikos' rebuttal to this.

Livin_the_MASS

[quote name='Archangel Raphael' date='May 26 2004, 03:22 PM'] Arg.. I just know I have to be amongst the few that really know what being a true Catholic is. I hate to sound a bit offensive, but then again, when was the truth always peachy? But many of you are treating protestants like freaking heathens, stop it. How about "Satan-proofing" your children instead? Dear God... [/quote]
I wouldn't go that far :rolleyes: