An Old School Catholic Message Board

Protestant-proofing Our Kids

Katholikos

Archangel Raphael

[quote name='Jason' date='May 26 2004, 05:54 PM'] I'm confused? This thread was started to show how we should raise our kids in a good Catholic home and now it's a a little tiffy. Anna is stating the facts she is quoting what you said.

Let's try to stay on topic please. [/quote]
You should think about posting this topic somewhere else then, cause if I remember correctly, I thought this forum was for anyone to debate on? I could be wrong, but oh well. And if this topic was about raising your children in a good Catholic home, then it should have NOT been titled Protestant-proofing. Cause it looks more like, "Keeping your kids away from Protestants."

And the point I'm trying to make is, I'm just rather tired of people worrying about either keeping their kids in one set of 'rules' than asking the Lord He has destined them to do. And fine, maybe God has called them to the Catholic church, but I doubt that the real meaning of being a Catholic is to crusade on to convert everyone to your religion. I don't care where a person goes after they are Saved, whatever denomination, just as long as they are in God's Will for their life. And no, God's Will isn't always the Catholic church. Infact, the Messianic Jews have more room to talk about convesions than the Catholics if you wanna get technical about it.

Archangel Raphael

[quote name='Anna' date='May 26 2004, 06:07 PM'] Actually, now I'm very interested in learning what a [i]true Catholic really is[/i], according to one of the few who really knows...

Who knows? 

Perhaps I've been raising my twelve kids wrong all these years... :rolleyes:

Come on, Raphael, and tell me how to do it right... ^_^

As Ross Perot would say, I'm all ears.  :)

Pax Christi. <><

Oh, P.S.:  One of my kids is the moderator of this phorum.  ;) [/quote]
I'm not one to tell you what is right, you ask God what His Plans are. And in no way I'm trying to convince people to turn from the Catholic way. If your in it, and like it, fine. I have no beef with anyone who chooses to be a Catholic, none whatsoever. I just got beef with those who put ritual above the One Who created the ritual when it comes to saving souls.

Edited by Archangel Raphael

IcePrincessKRS

Justin, I believe Anna was asking how you define what being a "true Catholic" is like. I'd like to know as well, because I'm pretty sure she has a better grasp on the concept than you do (no offense, but she has been Catholic for.... well, I better not say how old she is, she might get mad at me. ;)). What exactly do you want her to reply with Biblical evidence to? I'm not really seeing where her answers have been deficient...

I have been known to edit the word "freaking" and "frikkin" etc. because of the meaning behind it (just ask Lumberjack....). I, personally, am offended by the careless tossing around of God's name that is rampant in today's society--more so than even use of vulgarities and slang substitutes. ("Thou shalt not use the name of the Lord thy God in vain" how is such use NOT vain?)

Archangel Raphael

[quote name='IcePrincessKRS' date='May 26 2004, 06:16 PM'] Justin, I believe Anna was asking how you define what being a "true Catholic" is like. I'd like to know as well, because I'm pretty sure she has a better grasp on the concept than you do (no offense, but she has been Catholic for.... well, I better not say how old she is, she might get mad at me. ;)). What exactly do you want her to reply with Biblical evidence to? I'm not really seeing where her answers have been deficient...

I have been known to edit the word "freaking" and "frikkin" etc. because of the meaning behind it (just ask Lumberjack....). I, personally, am offended by the careless tossing around of God's name that is rampant in today's society--more so than even use of vulgarities and slang substitutes. ("Thou shalt not use the name of the Lord thy God in vain" how is such use NOT vain?) [/quote]
Again, you focus on my 'faults' and not on the most important point here. I'd hate to see you minister about Jesus to a hurt person who can care less about their language. Why is there ranting about converting people to the Catholic way and no talk about how to save souls?

[quote name='Archangel Raphael' date='May 26 2004, 05:22 PM'] [b]Arg.. I just know I have to be amongst the few that really know what being a true Catholic is. [/b] [/quote]
Arg...and I'm asking you to please back up your words and teach us all, so that we may be [i]true Catholics[/i], since you're one of the few who knows what being one is.

Please, enlighten us, O wise one, we humbly beseech thee.

Pax Christi. <><

IcePrincessKRS

Do you mean the second part of my post or thr first? If the first then why dodge the question? It wasn't an attempt at converting anyone, just an honest question. You've peaked my curiosity, if you are really about saving souls wouldn't you want to educate me? ;) If the second part is what you meant, I wanted to make my stance as a moderator clear for EVERYONE, not just you, I am not focusing on you in particular, I apologize if it seemed that way.

On saving souls, particularly my daughter's... I am raising her to love Jesus and the Bible, I point out pictures of Jesus and Mary and tell her who they are. I pray for her, I pray aloud so she can learn the prayers (she is only 9 months old). Religion is a big part of our lives, we are surrounded with images and reminders of our faith, we go to Mass. I show her by example. The list goes on and on.... Is that the kind of answer you're looking for?

[quote name='Archangel Raphael' date='May 26 2004, 05:21 PM'] Again, you focus on my 'faults' and not on the most important point here. I'd hate to see you minister about Jesus to a hurt person who can care less about their language. Why is there ranting about converting people to the Catholic way and no talk about how to save souls? [/quote]
Souls find salvation within the Church. In Her, and only in Her, is found the fullness of Truth.

Livin_the_MASS

[quote name='Archangel Raphael' date='May 26 2004, 05:12 PM']You should think about posting this topic somewhere else then, cause if I remember correctly, I thought this forum was for anyone to debate on?  I could be wrong, but oh well.  And if this topic was about raising your children in a good Catholic home, then it should have NOT been titled Protestant-proofing.  Cause it looks more like, "Keeping your kids away from Protestants."

And the point I'm trying to make is, I'm just rather tired of people worrying about either keeping their kids in one set of 'rules' than asking the Lord He has destined them to do.  And fine, maybe God has called them to the Catholic church, but I doubt that the real meaning of being a Catholic is to crusade on to convert everyone to your religion.  I don't care where a person goes after they are Saved, whatever denomination, just as long as they are in God's Will for their life.  And no, God's Will isn't always the Catholic church.  Infact, the Messianic Jews have more room to talk about convesions than the Catholics if you wanna get technical about it.[/quote]
You dang right I will teach my kids to stay away from there teachings. Do you know if your Catholic and go to a different religious services that is sinful.

You claim to be more Catholic than most by your one post:

[quote][b]Arg.. I just know [u]I have to be amongst the few that really know what being a true Catholic is.[/u][/b] I hate to sound a bit offensive, but then again, when was the truth always peachy? But many of you are treating protestants like freaking heathens, stop it. How about "Satan-proofing" your children instead? Dear God... [/quote]

This is a form of pride, I know nothing and only by God do I know it! I am a sinner nothing more. Do you see love in this statement YOU made? Is this living the Gospel? My humble opinion, NO it's not! "Who is good but God alone" any good in us is from Him and He gets the credit.

[quote]And no, God's Will isn't always the Catholic church.[/quote]

Yes God's Will is His Church, Read John 17:15-26

[quote]I do not ask that you take them out of the world but that you keep them from the evil one.

They do not belong to the world any more than I belong to the world.

Consecrate them in the truth. Your word is truth.

As you sent me into the world, so I sent them into the world.

And I consecrate myself for them, so that they also may be consecrated in truth.

"I pray not only for them, but also for those who will believe in me through their word,

[b]so that they may all be one, as you, Father, are in me and I in you, that they also may be in us, that the world may believe that you sent me. [/b]

[b]And I have given them the glory you gave me, so that they may be one, as we are one,[/b]

I in them and you in me, that they may be brought to perfection as one, that the world may know that you sent me, and that you loved them even as you loved me.

Father, they are your gift to me. I wish that where I am they also may be with me, that they may see my glory that you gave me, because you loved me before the foundation of the world.

Righteous Father, the world also does not know you, but I know you, and they know that you sent me.

I made known to them your name and I will make it known, that the love with which you loved me may be in them and I in them."[/quote]

I see a prayer of unity Jesus praying to His Father, not divison!
Do you need more?

Pax
Jason

[quote name='Archangel Raphael' date='May 26 2004, 07:12 PM']
I'm just rather tired of people worrying about either keeping their kids in one set of 'rules' than asking the Lord He has destined them to do. [/quote]
If you don't have children, your opinion is rather useless to those of who do.
Why should we care if you're tired of hearing people worrying about their children's Faith?
God gave our children to us, and it is our duty to keep them faithful. If that bores you, or you find it tiresome, tooooooooooo bad. It won't stop us from caring about our kids' souls.
[quote]
And fine, maybe God has called them to the Catholic church...I don't care where a person goes after they are Saved, whatever denomination, just as long as they are in God's Will for their life.  And no, God's Will isn't always the Catholic church.  [/quote]
So, this is what a [i]true Catholic[/i] is supposed to believe? Relativism?

Pax Christi. <><

Edited by Anna

theculturewarrior

This is a little disheartening. What would a non-Christian think of all this?

Debate, please, but keep the tone civil.

EDIT: This is directed to everyone. :)

Edited by theculturewarrior

cmotherofpirl

The best way to keep your klids Catholic is to BE a good Catholic.
Preach always, if necessary, use words.

[quote name='Archangel Raphael' date='May 26 2004, 07:03 PM'] Slang? F word? That was not the F word. Just as the 'darn' word is a toned down version of the other 'D' word. And escuse me but I've seen 'freaking' used on here plenty of times so I assumed it was alright. And the "Oh my God"? Oh don't give me that.. The "Oh my God" issue is rather vague, unlike words like God-D, which is clearly seen as taking the Lord's name in vain.
[/quote]
Jesus speaks: "I tell you, on the day of judgment men will render account for every careless word they utter; for by your words you will be justified, and by your words you will be condemned. Mt 12:36-37.

Someone needs to brush up on his Bible...

[quote]Why don't you try coming back with Biblical Scripture...[/quote] Just did that. ;)

[quote]And who are you to judge me...[/quote] Did I say that you're not saved?

[quote] I respect rules, just not Holier than thou individuals.[/quote]
Aren't you the same person who claims to be one of the few who knows how to be a "true Catholic?"

Please explain: How can you claim to be one of the few who knows how to be a true Catholic, and at the same time not respect holier than thou individuals?

Have you no self respect? :huh:

Ok.

I'm done now.

That was kinda fun... :unsure:

Pax Christi. <><

Archangel Raphael

[quote]Jesus speaks: "I tell you, on the day of judgment men will render account for every careless word they utter; for by your words you will be justified, and by your words you will be condemned. Mt 12:36-37. [/quote]

"If there be one without sin here, cast the first tone." - Jesus
"For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God" (Romans 3:23) Let God be my judge.

Anna, Jason, show me your Fruits then. Go on, I wanna see them.

littleflower+JMJ

[quote name='Sojourner' date='May 26 2004, 05:28 PM'] Souls find salvation within the Church. In Her, and only in Her, is found the fullness of Truth. [/quote]
exactly.

Livin_the_MASS

[quote name='Archangel Raphael' date='May 26 2004, 06:02 PM'] Anna, Jason, show me your Fruits then. Go on, I wanna see them. [/quote]
May God Bless you, may His Face shine upon you and give you peace

I shall pray for you
In the love of Christ
Your servant
Jason

All Glory goes to God even me being humble.