An Old School Catholic Message Board

Protestant-proofing Our Kids

Katholikos

Livin_the_MASS

I will teach my kids by example and God's good grace will I fulfill my duty. I will teach them everything I know, that He has so lovingly given me, I will teach it all (His Holy Catholic Church). [b]Are to leave them open to things that go agaist Christ's One True Church.[/b]

Teach love first, then teach what to AVOID ;)

Pax
Jason

Edited by Jason

Livin_the_MASS

[quote name='the lumberjack' date='May 26 2004, 04:04 PM'] a life on fire for Christ is hardly avoidable.

and word mullsy, amen to Raphael. [/quote]
I didn't say to avoid Christ, I was saying error, sorry one of us is 100% right and one is wrong, that's the Truth. I won't let my kids open to error, they could still do it but that's where prayer comes in ;) God's Will be done! Amen

[quote name='Archangel Raphael' date='May 26 2004, 11:22 AM']Arg.. I just know I have to be amongst the few that really know what being a true Catholic is.  I hate to sound a bit offensive, but then again, when was the truth always peachy?  But many of you are treating protestants like freaking heathens, stop it.  How about "Satan-proofing" your children instead?  Dear God...[/quote]
The best way to "Satan-proof" children is to raise them and keep them Catholic.

homeschoolmom

I think what the purpose of this thread was (and again, correct me if I am wrong) to understand ways to keep kids from losing their faith either by following the world [b]or[/b] by being lead into other religions-- even Protestant ones. This is not saying that Protestants are horrible pagans, but it is not the same as the Catholic faith. Many Catholics who are [b]poorly educated[/b] in their faith go off and join other Christian churches because they actually learn something about Christ (perhaps for the first time). They learn and grow there... However, they never go back to the Church to find out the rest of the story (as Paul Harvey would say)... many feel the Church has let them down or lied to them. I think the idea of this thread is how to encourage growth in our Catholic children without them leaving the faith.

In my humble opinion it is better to be an on-fire Protestant than a nominal indifferent Catholic. The goal is to create more on fire Catholics. ;)

theculturewarrior

[quote]Arg.. I just know I have to be amongst the few that really know what being a true Catholic is.[/quote]

While you are entitled to your beliefs, and while I agree that non-Catholics should not be treated like heathens, I don't think being a true Catholic has to do with wrapping up an evangelical theology in sheep's clothing.

I will keep you in my prayers. (Salvation is not so simple a thing, see? ;) )

Edited by theculturewarrior

the lumberjack

[quote name='theculturewarrior' date='May 26 2004, 03:19 PM'] (Salvation is not so simple a thing ;) ) [/quote]
no one ever said it was, CW. ;)

God bless.

Brother Adam

The gospel is simple. Salvation doctrine is complex.

You can be an idiot and be saved :P

Livin_the_MASS

[quote name='Brother Adam' date='May 26 2004, 04:26 PM'] The gospel is simple. Salvation doctrine is complex.

You can be an idiot and be saved :P [/quote]
The closer you get to God the more simple you become ;)

Archangel Raphael

To CW: Catholic means Universal my friend, enough said. And thanks Mull, and Lumberjack.

Edited by Archangel Raphael

Livin_the_MASS

[quote name='Archangel Raphael' date='May 26 2004, 04:28 PM'] Catholic means Universal my friend, enough said. And thanks Mull, and Lumberjack. [/quote]
Yeah we know that what's the point?

[quote name='mulls' date='May 26 2004, 05:35 PM'] amen.

i can't wait for katholikos' rebuttal to this. [/quote]
mulls, let me say this up front and public: get off Likos' back already. <_< Try to be, you know, [i]Christian.[/i]

Doesn't that denomination you belong to preach "love?"

God Bless.

Archangel Raphael

[quote name='Archangel' date='May 26 2004, 05:16 PM'] The best way to "Satan-proof" children is to raise them and keep them Catholic. [/quote]
Read my post again about my friend who was a witch ;)

And what were your friend's parents doing while she was practicing witchcraft?

And how do you know that she is "saved?"

Who are you to say who is "saved," and who is not?

Not even the Catholic Church declares someone is saved while he/she is still living.

Pax Christi. <><

Livin_the_MASS

[quote name='Archangel Raphael' date='May 26 2004, 04:30 PM'] Read my post again about my friend who was a witch ;) [/quote]
Only God does the work but we have a duty as parents to set an example of Christ and teach our children about the One Holy Catholic Church. Prayer is a big part of this yes I agree, God does the work, but we still have a duty to set the example!

Salvation is a work in progress, all our life, everyday we have to work it out!