An Old School Catholic Message Board

Pope Francis (can We Have A Sensible Discussion?)

Noel's angel

Evangetholic

Mahony seems to be a sad and bitter fellow an ass who goes out of his way to cover Christ in shame. Prayers for him.

fxd :)

Sister Marie

I just want to interject two thoughts into this conversation; one that applies only to the new Holy Father and one that applies every time we have a conclave and a new Holy Father.

First, the Holy Spirit wanted our new Holy Father, Francis.  That should be enough proof or evidence for us that, although no one is perfect, in the big picture God wants us to follow this man.  He is already showing us a path to poverty, simplicity, humility... and who knows what else in the days, weeks, months, and years to come.  Our providential God has provided us with a shepherd of his own choosing and in light of that our own opinions, perceptions, and beliefs must fade in comparison with the will of God that has so awesomely taken root in our world.

Second, he is a religious which is definitely going to introduce some differences in style than for previous popes who were diocesan priests.  There is a big difference in the lifestyle and focus of a religious priest and a diocesan priest (neither better than the other) that will influence his style of leadership and path to holiness.

Just something to think about.

edited because I missed a word.

Edited by Sister Marie

He is a religious which is definitely going to introduce some differences in style than for previous popes who were diocesan priests.  There is a big difference in the lifestyle and focus of a religious priest and a diocesan priest (neither better than the other) that will influence his style of leadership and path to holiness.

Just something to think about.

THIS. We're speaking about a man (Pope Francis) who took a vow of poverty, and spent much of his life working with his nation's very poor. Is it *really* any surprise that a man with his background would be uncomfortable with some of the more ornate trappings of the office?

HisChildForever

Sorry if this has been said already, but didn't the media comment on Benedict's red shoes more than a few times? Maybe, since Pope Francis is in this unusual position (his predecessor is still alive), he's altering some details to distinguish his own papacy?

Noel's angel

This is interesting:

Bishop Venables, who is the Anglican Bishop of Argentina, told the BBC News website that Cardinal Bergoglio, then Archbishop of Buenos Aires, had invited him to breakfast in 2009 when the Ordinariate was first suggested. In Bishop Venables' words as published by the Anglican Communion News Service, "he called me to have breakfast with him one morning and told me very clearly that the Ordinariate was quite unnecessary and that the Church needs us as Anglicans."

"I have been with him on many occasions and he always makes me sit next to him and invariably makes me take part and often do what he as cardinal should have done."

Edited by Noel's angel

Named after a saint who stripped himself naked. You lot should count yourselves lucky he's got anything on at all.

My take on this is that we don't have to worry because the Holy Spirit is ultimately the one who picked the pope. Just trust in the Holy Spirit and don't over analyze things.

Named after a saint who stripped himself naked. You lot should count yourselves lucky he's got anything on at all.

Praise God for clothing! 

metania_icon.gif?attachauth=ANoY7cpc82gC

My take on this is that we don't have to worry because the Holy Spirit is ultimately the one who picked the pope. Just trust in the Holy Spirit and don't over analyze things.

The cardinals picked the pope, but the Holy Spirit will work with what He is given.

Link failure of epic proportions.

Probably depends on your browser. I can see the image with Chrome, but it doesn't show up on IE.

PhuturePriest

Probably depends on your browser. I can see the image with Chrome, but it doesn't show up on IE.

I use Firefox because I like not having viruses.

I use Firefox because I like not having viruses.

I used to use Firefox, but it is way too slow and inconsistent as a browser for me. Chrome rocks!

The image is just a little Eastern Christian emoticon. I have tried to attach the image as a file to this post, not that it is earth shattering in its importance.

That is precisely what I am trying to avoid in this discussion - 'tearing each other to shreds.' I just want a normal, respectful discussion, without 'taking sides'. 

Sadly, that is unlikely to happen.