An Old School Catholic Message Board

Pope Francis (can We Have A Sensible Discussion?)

Noel's angel

This is interesting:

Bishop Venables, who is the Anglican Bishop of Argentina, told the BBC News website that Cardinal Bergoglio, then Archbishop of Buenos Aires, had invited him to breakfast in 2009 when the Ordinariate was first suggested. In Bishop Venables' words as published by the Anglican Communion News Service, "he called me to have breakfast with him one morning and told me very clearly that the Ordinariate was quite unnecessary and that the Church needs us as Anglicans."

"I have been with him on many occasions and he always makes me sit next to him and invariably makes me take part and often do what he as cardinal should have done."

It is possible that Anglican Bishop Venables misunderstood Cardinal Bergoglio, or that his recollection of what the Cardinal said is somewhat clouded. Time will tell.

Nihil Obstat

It doesn't trouble me. I agree it has been reasonable. What I don't understand is why you seem so set on me leaving it. 

I have no preference one way or another whether you participate in this thread. I do have a preference that this discussion takes place, rather than not.

I agree that Mahony's statements over Twitter were completely out of line, disgraceful, and un-Christ-like. Rumours regarding Cardinal Law aside, I would like to see Mahony exiled to a cloister to spend the rest of his days in prayer and penance.

Nihil Obstat

It is possible that Anglican Bishop Venables misunderstood Cardinal Bergoglio, or that his recollection of what the Cardinal said is somewhat clouded. Time will tell.

It is a rather odd statement. I was not sure what to make of it when I heard the quote circulating. I thought that perhaps it could be interpreted as meaning "the Ordinariate is not necessary because we should have accommodated them on a parish level instead." I would disagree, but that would simply be a personal preference in terms of how the Anglicans are administered.

But of course I could not agree with the idea that the Church needs Anglicans as Church of England Anglicans, as opposed to Catholic Anglicans.

. . .

I agree that Mahony's statements over Twitter were completely out of line, disgraceful, and un-Christ-like. Rumours regarding Cardinal Law aside, I would like to see Mahony exiled to a cloister to spend the rest of his days in prayer and penance.

I wouldn't want to subject a monastic community to Mahony's negativity, so I think he should be sent off somewhere (perhaps to the desert in Egypt) to live as a hermit.

:paco:

Nihil Obstat

I wouldn't want to subject a monastic community to Mahony's negativity, so I think he should be sent off somewhere (perhaps to the desert in Egypt) to live as a hermit.

:paco:

Yes, much better. Unless he were also willing to take a vow of silence.

Yes, much better. Unless he were also willing to take a vow of silence.

The vow would have to be both verbal and textual.

This thread is funny because one of the greatest schisms in the history of phatmass was over the pope's shoes.

:hehe:

This thread is funny because one of the greatest schisms in the history of phatmass was over the pope's shoes.

"And eventually the tales of the shoe born schism faded into Phorum myth and as it was retold, new members thought it was about Cardinal Schoenborn."

Noel's angel is a girl :secret:

I've been here almost six years and I am ashamed to admit I did not know this. :|

Nihil Obstat

I've been here almost six years and I am ashamed to admit I did not know this. :|

I have decided to continue saying him until he corrects me himself. :|

Was that ever really in doubt on PM though?

Apparently. Look at the title of the thread. I think OP has issues.