An Old School Catholic Message Board

Doctor Who!

Basilisa Marie

PhuturePriest

Blink was my first episode. Absolutely amazing. My next episodes were actually from the last Doctor when he goes to Britain during World War II. My sister made me watch it because she knows I love World War II stuff. Again, absolutely amazing. As for who is the best Doctor, I like the ninth and the eleventh, but nothing beats David Tennant.

Pax_et bonum

I can't ever decide which Doctor is my favorite. I love 9 because he's so sassy and impressive, and one of my favorite episodes is the Empty Child/the Doctor Dances. 10 is Tennant who's brilliant and also Martha and Donna are awesome companions, and I love the 11th Doctor with Amy, Rory, and River. Unfortunately, with Moffat especially I think, the show's gotten pretty anti-religion and everything that goes with that. Not that big of a deal, but it's kinda annoying--and monks are too cool!

Oh no not Doctor Who!!!! I only saw one episode and that was it for me!!!!! Never again!!! Apparently it was the worst one too! The one with the living mannequins. >.<

Fidei Defensor

Oh no not Doctor Who!!!! I only saw one episode and that was it for me!!!!! Never again!!! Apparently it was the worst one too! The one with the living mannequins. >.<

Hardly the worst. You should be glad you didn't watch "Blink."

Hardly the worst. You should be glad you didn't watch "Blink."

Well I'm not going back! But my friends say otherwise so we will see!

Basilisa Marie

I don't think the show is necessarily anti-religion.  The Doctor himself is basically a rational agnostic, so you can't really expect the show to treat religion in a way that an agnostic wouldn't. Like in last night's episode, he doesn't outright dismiss the religion of the Akhaten when Clara asks if their creation myth is true - he says "That's what they believe" and remarks that it does make a very good story.  (Anyone else see the episode? What did you guys think? I loved it, but I know the fandom's pretty split on it for multiple reasons) 

There are a lot of really, really good themes, especially about human dignity and standing up for what's right even when it's hard.  Plus in season 6 and the first half of 7, there was a really great pro-marriage storyline, and you really don't see those on TV anymore. One of the Christmas specials focused on the power of a mother's love.  Sure, there's the headless monks, and the militarized Church of England...but really there's nothing that outright contradicts Catholicism, any big anti-church-establishment themes are completely directed at the Church of England.   Even the Doctor's explanation of the big bang in the latest episode last night left room for God, at least from the Catholic world view.   

Like I said before, I like introducing people to Doctor Who with "Vincent and the Doctor," because it's a good mix of a "scary" sci-fi monster, historical period piece, and lots of life-affirming themes.  

Edited by Basilisa Marie

Fidei Defensor

I really liked the latest episode.

A few things that sparked some thoughts— Clara's mom died the same day that Rose fought the Nestene Consciousness with the Doctor (their first adventure.)

Also the way that Clara says that she thinks the TARDIS doesn't like her; the translation matrix didn't seem to be working for her, unlike it did for other companions in the past.

I loved when the Doctor causally mentions that he had visited the planet with his granddaughter :)

Basilisa Marie

And did you see in the other episode how Clara's birthday is the same as the show's anniversary? 

I think there's usually a "learning curve" with the translation matrix.  I think the way it works is that time travelers absorb time energy, like radiation, and it alters their cells in ways that allows stuff like the translation matrix to work, among other things.  Plus it doesn't always work on every language.  Like with the whatserfuzzerts...the rhino police Shadow Proclamation guys.  So I think that's more of a red herring.  

You know who else the TARDIS doesn't like?  Jack Harkness. :| Torchwood basically rules any lineage out, but that would have been fantastic.  I think Clara's line about not wanting to be chasing a ghost or whatever was very Martha-esque.  Seems to me like they're channeling a lot of the previous companions with her.  

• 1 month later...
cmotherofpirl

So who watched the finale tonight?

Edited by cmotherofpirl

I want so badly to contribute to this conversation but I haven't seen the last episode yet.

I have been very good about not reading the comments but hopefully Ill watch it tonight...THEN ILL BE BACK

TheLordsSouljah

I used to watch the first ones as a kid.... and then I saw the extermination robots and freaked.