An Old School Catholic Message Board

Doctor Who!

Basilisa Marie

I've loved Doctor Who since my childhood when I'd watch it on PBS with my family late Saturday nights. With the exception of the first Doctor, they are all my favorites. 

Curious though, who do you think is the most popular companion? 

He is suppose to be old, the first Doctor was a lot older.

But the line of doctors have seemingly become younger looking as the years have changed. So I too am taken aback about how much older he looks even more so then the 8th Doc.

KnightofChrist

But the line of doctors have seemingly become younger looking as the years have changed. So I too am taken aback about how much older he looks even more so then the 8th Doc.

Eh, so long as he doesn't suck I don't really mind his age. Most of the Doctors have been older men, it's the young Doctors that are rare. This may be interesting to the nerds.

1st Doc, William Hartnell was 55 when he began his role as Doctor Who..
2nd Doc, Patrick Troughton was 46
3rd Doc, Jon Pertwee was 50
4th Doc, Tom Baker was 40
5th Doc, Peter Davison was 29
6th Doc, Colin Baker was 40
7th Doc, Sylvester McCoy was 44
8th Doc, Paul McGann was 36
9th Doc, Chris Eccleston was 41
10th Doc, David Tennant was 34
11th Doc, Matt Smith was 27
12th Doc, Peter Capaldi 55

Source: http://reprog.wordpress.com/2010/04/05/ages-of-doctor-who-actors-on-their-debuts/

IcePrincessKRS

I was a little surprised to see someone slightly older cast in the role, but I think he will be very good. I think I'd just gotten used to seeing the younger faces so it threw me at first. I really did love the younger gents as the Doctor (3rd and 8th were probably my least favorites, overall), but having watched all of them I really think the late 30s-early 40s is the perfect age range. That's just my opinion, though.

Edited by IcePrincessKRS

I feel similarly to Iceprincess in that when I initially saw him, I was a bit surprised at his age, however I think he is growing on me.

He seems like he is going to be a sassy spite fire! Im kind of excited to see him in action! :)

PhuturePriest

I am quite pleased with the role. I wasn't sure if I wanted a really old man playing the Doctor, but I'm glad a middle-aged man is. It seems like it's going to work, and though I know nothing of him, from the picture it looks as if he is going to fit into the right look of the Doctor.

Also, Rose is the best Companion. Fact.

Has it already been noted that Mr. Capaldi was in the episode, "Fires of Pompeii?" 

There was a time when it was speculated that they were aging the Doctor like Benjamin Button and that a future Dr. would be played by a child. 

Rose is supposed to be back for the 50th episode, or so I've heard. :) 

Basilisa Marie

Yeah, she and Ten and Clara and Eleven are in it, as well as John Hurt playing some kind of version of the Doctor.  SO EXCITING.

Yeah, she and Ten and Clara and Eleven are in it, as well as John Hurt playing some kind of version of the Doctor.  SO EXCITING.

The 50th would be better if Clara wasnt in it.

Judging by your avatar I know youll disagree, but Clara is my least favorite companion by far. Maybe its not entirely her fault, but her story line seemed so shunted to me.

I also just dont like how zany she is. Its as if they were trying to have the companion compete with the doctor....it was just too much!

She is just a dry character to me. :unsure:

CatholicsAreKewl

The 50th would be better if Clara wasnt in it.

Judging by your avatar I know youll disagree, but Clara is my least favorite companion by far. Maybe its not entirely her fault, but her story line seemed so shunted to me.

I also just dont like how zany she is. Its as if they were trying to have the companion compete with the doctor....it was just too much!

She is just a dry character to me. :unsure:

"Suppose we were puzzled to hear that some men said he was too tall and some too short; some objected to his fatness, some lamented his leanness; some thought him too dark and some too fair. One explanation… would be that he might be an odd shape. But there is another explanation. He might be the right shape."