the171 Posted April 10, 2013 Author Posted April 10, 2013 Oooo I like it :) I've heard white can go see-through though. If there is no padding.
the171 Posted April 10, 2013 Author Posted April 10, 2013 Ah that's a good point. That's why white bikinis are a bad idea.
EmilyAnn Posted April 10, 2013 Posted April 10, 2013 That's why white bikinis are a bad idea. Definitely. All my swimwear is blue for some reason.
the171 Posted April 10, 2013 Author Posted April 10, 2013 (edited) Definitely. All my swimwear is blue for some reason. All of mine are ugly and do not fit me correctly. Ugh. I need some new suits Edited April 10, 2013 by the171
IcePrincessKRS Posted April 10, 2013 Posted April 10, 2013 Can you provide a frumpy swimsuit? When I think "frumpy swimsuit" I think of the sort my grandmother always wore. Skirted with lots of big, bright flowers. Nothing wrong with a skirt, I know people who wear Land's End swim skirts and they look great. It's just the particular style of the "grandma suit" that gets me. If there is no padding. Or decent lining on the bum. Eeeeep. :| GOOD swimsuits are expensive. But worth it. I spent about 40 on a suit this year. I'd have spent more but they didn't have the one I wanted in my size. :( I'm not spending 70+ on a suit I don't love.
HisChildForever Posted April 10, 2013 Posted April 10, 2013 If you go to a department store around mid-July through August you can get expensive pieces for very, very reasonable prices. Just be aware that it's a hit-or-miss though because the later in the season the less choices you'll have.
AnneLine Posted April 10, 2013 Posted April 10, 2013 (edited) You might want to look at swimsuits marked as 'sarong' style It was a style popular in the 1950's and 1940's... Most of the really attractive ones won't load, unfortunately, but search google for 'sarong swimsuit' and you'll find more youthful models. Some are intended for an older, heavier person than most of you... but you'll get a sense of how they work. http://www.onehanesplace.com/outlet/clearance-13671--1/all-clearance/-22976--1?cm_vc=OnsiteSearch&cmFV= Had this one and loved it, but it didn't last very long.... but if you are curious about if you'd like it, definitely worth a try.... http://www.onehanesplace.com/outlet/swim/one-piece/one-piece-sarong-swimsuit?cm_vc=SPZ1 This one is GORGEOUS, and attractive.... http://www.swimsuitsforall.com/b-belle-Purple-Animal-Chic-Plus-Size-Sarong-Front-Swimsuit?p=3861 OH -- and many come with a cover-up additional sarong style wrap for when you leave the pool! :) They have a styling component at the stomach that disguises problems and nice bust coverage.... and a little piece of fabric that covers the front top of the legs. They look really good, decent coverage but not frumpy, in my opinion... Get one that costs a little more and it won't self-destruct in one season, either. If you're open to a style that looks a teeny bit frumpy, but is comfortable and lasts forever, you might try this... I have this one and have had it for 3 years... no chlorine damage, comfortable, and I think it looks fantastic and have gotten compliments..... but it may be too old for many of you.... but it is a fantastic aerobic swimsuit! (I got it because I swim regularly in chlorine during hte summer, and got tired of the suits destructing on me (literally, once.... not a good memory but thank God I was alone and had a towel and clothes handy!!!) http://www.onehanesplace.com/outlet/swim/value-swimsuits/-23873--1 Edited April 10, 2013 by AnneLine
AnneLine Posted April 10, 2013 Posted April 10, 2013 Agreed on Phrumpy. Also, these were cutting edge in 1910, but I wouldn't do them these days... pretty daring for the time, but now... not so much....
AnneLine Posted April 10, 2013 Posted April 10, 2013 (edited) I finally found one I can post! A Sarong Suit! Most actually have a little longer panel of fabric in the front, check the other linksprovided above to see.... Edited April 10, 2013 by AnneLine
IcePrincessKRS Posted April 10, 2013 Posted April 10, 2013 I finally found one I can post! A Sarong Suit! Most actually have a little longer panel of fabric in the front, check the other linksprovided above to see.... That's similar to the style I was looking for when I was bathing suit shopping. I love the retro-ish cut to it. Iffy on the flowers (I have come to realize that I am very picky about patterns on bathing suits. It's very limiting. lol)
OnlySunshine Posted April 10, 2013 Posted April 10, 2013 (edited) I hate tankinis. I remember when I bought one because I thought it looked nice and covered me up in all the right places. I wore it to a water park and the top started drifting upward! :shock: I kept having to pull it down. When I got home, I sold it on eBay (after I washed it, of course). It obviously didn't work on me and I was scarred from the experience. I don't mind illusion tankins where it looks like two pieces but one piece bathing suits (esp. swimdresses) are amesome. I love my current bathing suit but if I had to buy a new one, I wouldn't mind these: http://www.onestopplus.com/clothing/Swimdress-with-Embroidery.aspx?PfId=319440&DeptId=20420&ProductTypeId=1 (this is REALLY pretty) Edited April 10, 2013 by MaterMisericordiae
AnneLine Posted April 10, 2013 Posted April 10, 2013 (edited) Completely agree, Ice Princess. There are sarongs withhout flowers... but they must be shy because none of the pictures would load on Phatmass. :hehe2: So..... just click the links in my 1st post.... they'll come out and let you see 'em that way. ;) I agree about the style... it just is flattering to almost every figure. And I agree about the DANGED FLOWERS. I am not a bouquet. And I don't live in the tropics. But I like solids and I like geometrics.... and just good colors. I'd wondered about the same thing, Mater. And I'd wonder about the 2nd swim dress doing the same thing..... there's probably a bottom or a panel or something, but it would feel like my skirt was coming up, I would think. But it is pretty! Edited April 10, 2013 by AnneLine
IcePrincessKRS Posted April 10, 2013 Posted April 10, 2013 Completely agree. There are sarongs withhout flowers... but they must be shy because none of the pictures would load on Phatmass. :hehe2: So..... just click the links in my 1st post.... they'll come out and let you see 'em that way. ;) I agree about the style... it just is flattering to almost every figure. And I agree about the DANGED FLOWERS. I am not a bouquet. And I don't live in the tropics. But I like solids and I like geometrics.... and just good colors. The suit I wound up buying was close in style to that but not quite as retro (if that makes sense). It's plain grey. lol
Basilisa Marie Posted April 11, 2013 Posted April 11, 2013 Look at those stocking-covered knees. Tsk tsk. :hehe2:
AnneLine Posted April 11, 2013 Posted April 11, 2013 At the time that photo was taken, Papist, it would have been considered SCANDALOUS. Especially if there were... dare I say it.... gentlemen sharing the beach. Oh, the shame.... :eek: :blush:
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now