An Old School Catholic Message Board

New Religion Field In Profile

dUSt

Anastasia13

Would this be more appropriate? :bananarap:

No. Considering the already existing level of fundamental alignment of our faith and the creepiness of dancing bananas, would that be better? NO!

Edited by Light and Truth

Yes, but the fact that JPII referred to the the two lungs of the church at some point as inclusive of the Orthodox churches and thus in keeping with the traditional views of the Church Fathers reaffirms the orthodoxy of the Catholic Church while affirming the catholicity of the Orthodox Churches. If he truly disagreed with the ecclesiology of the Church Fathers, then JPII would not have been Catholic much less Pope, now would he?

Actually the Eucharistic ecclesiology of the Church Fathers was only reasserted in the Roman Church after the close of the Second Vatican Council (see the CDF document Communionis Notio). Prior to Vatican II there were popes who did not accept the Patristic teaching on the nature of the Church. The fact that they did not accept - and in a few cases were no doubt ignorant of the ancient teaching - does not mean that they were not Catholic, it just means that they were uninformed about the doctrine of the Fathers. There is nothing unique in saying that, because popes are not perfect, and some have been good theologians and others not so good.

Edited by Apotheoun

No. Considering the already existing level of fundamental alignment of our faith and the creepiness of dancing bananas, would that be better? NO!

Awwww. :(

Anastasia13

Actually the Eucharistic ecclesiology of the Church Fathers was only reasserted in the Roman Church after the close of the Second Vatican Council (see the CDF document Communionis Notio). Prior to Vatican II there were popes who did not accept the Patristic teaching on the nature of the Church. The fact that they did not accept - and in a few cases were no doubt ignorant of the ancient teaching - does not mean that they were not Catholic, it just means that they were uninformed about the doctrine of the Fathers. There is nothing unique in saying that, because popes are not perfect, and some have been good theologians and others not so good.

This is true, and in fact those Greek who left at some point where considered not saved (some time in the 1500's commentary I believe on the Rome/EO schism) out of seeming to reject the Church and the faith that goes with it. It is the duty of a church to care for the souls of it's members-you cannot love if you only love the body/for the present. Had they not done that, it would have been contrary to the purpose of the church and thus not of God and not Catholic. In recognizing that, learning more about each other and the Fathers as God reveals His work in time, the acknowledgement of that is what I am calling Catholic. It is when one has that knowledge and still rejects it that one is less Catholic. If the Church rejects the faith, then it is no longer the Church-just look at what has happened in Protestantism. That is why I applaud not only Vatican II but also PJII for the recognition and continuation of that faith.

The Patristic teaching can be put succinctly as follows: The one Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church exists and is made manifest - whole and entire - wherever the Holy Eucharist is truly celebrated and the Orthodox faith is professed under the presidency of a bishop in Apostolic succession. 

Anastasia13

:banana: :muffin:

Whoo. I was worried about how my other posts would have gone over when I saw you had replied.

Anastasia13

Will St. Hasa Perms who maintain a non-Catholic religion eventually be moved into the non-Catholic group?

Watch it hun, I'm closer to Catholicism than you are, and you are a St. Hasa Perm.

Welcome to the club. Wine, tea, and waters are to the left. The cookies and pastries to the left but closer to the main stage. Guest speakers start in 15 minutes. Please obtain a name tag at the registration table and have a seat.

Maybe I'm just so awesome they knew they just had to make me St. Hasa Perm (whatever that means). :P And just cookies??!! I'm pretty sure I was promised cake when I joined, it must be in the site rules somewhere.

Maybe I'm just so amesome they knew they just had to make me St. Hasa Perm (whatever that means). :P And just cookies??!! I'm pretty sure I was promised cake when I joined, it must be in the site rules somewhere.

St. Hasa Perm = Phatmasser

Beati Pacifici

This is fine, but is sure as heck better not be a diversion to get me to forget about getting a Church Militant tag. I'm the bestest Catholic ever. Like, totally.

I still want my "King of the Lame Board" tag. . .

dUSt, you need a Western Orthodox option, though as far as I know, we have no one here under that jurisdiction. ;)

Nihil Obstat

dUSt, you need a Western Orthodox option, though as far as I know, we have no one here under that jurisdiction. ;)

I always forget that that actually technically exists. :smile3: