An Old School Catholic Message Board

Boston Bombing News Thread

Era Might

Sister Marie

I just feel like I need to share myself.  I feel a whole mixture of emotions right now in response to everything that has happened.  First of all, I have followed this story all week and, in a way, have become obsessed with it.  I questioned myself, why could I not detach myself from this situation?  I did eventually realize that there was a connection between the violence and the bombs and my own experience of worrying for a loved one in war.  I felt my own anxiety from that time over again as I watched the families suffering and the fear of the people on the news.

However, another emotion took hold of me as well.  I feel such a sadness for both of the young men who committed these crimes.  What pain, confusion, suffering, and sin brought them to this moment?  While on one hand I pray that they are brought to justice on the other I find myself praying that they find themselves held in the hands of a merciful, compassionate, and loving God who has never left them... even when they committed a terrible evil.  My heart hurts thinking of both of  them.

This year the convent I live in was robbed.  Everyday since then I have prayed for the people who came into our home while we were asleep and violated our home.  There was a connection forged in that moment that cannot be taken away and it is a connection of sin, forgiveness, and love.  I wish I knew who they were so that I could talk to them and love them. 

I don't know if any of that makes sense in light of this terrible tragedy but I am praying for both the perpetrators and victims in this situation and am asking God for his transformative and loving presence to change us all.

FutureSister2009

It does make sense Sister Marie. You are right. But I just get so upset that these people are so miserable that they want to take down others with them. Like the Sandy Hook shooting, the guy had killed himself as well, and I feel that, he did not need to take a bunch of innocent children down with him.

And I do agree, it would be nice to see this guy have a conversion of heart. St. Maria Goretti would approve.

FP- I was asking about the communities in the very near vicinity of Watertown. YES Sister it does! I'm sorry that you experienced a "Home invasion" it's a terrible feeling that carries a assorted mixture of emotions. My car was stolen 2 years ago..I awoke with the police dept knocking very early on my door to inform me that they found it! I felt violated amongst other things...yet I forgave them. Love?...They need more than my love.

Nihil Obstat

We should entrust this violent young man to the intercession of St. Maria Goretti, whose murderer repented of his crimes and joined the Order of Friars Minor Capuchin as a lay brother.

Nihil Obstat

How did they catch him? Shoe prints? DNA?

Identification from photos, video, and victims.

There are several images that appear to show them planting the bags which turned out to be explosive.

Edited by Nihil Obstat

Appears these guys were into radical Islam (quite likely recruited by a terror group, though the last I heard, we don't know enough to say anything with certainty).

The Religion of Peace strikes again. (No doubt deeply disappointing those liberals who disgustingly hoped this vile murder could help advance their own politics. From Salon a couple days ago: "Let's Hope the Boston Marathon Bomber is a White American." Sadly, not a joke.)

How disgusting that anyone should hope anything about the bombers, other than that they be swiftly stopped, apprehended, and brought to justice.

We've been subject to terrorism from Muslim terrorist organizations and right-wing white men. The last successful terrorist attack that was perpetrated by right-wing freedom lovers was dealt with in a reasonable manner and as a matter for law-enforcement. The last time it was Muslims the political party of your boy toy Ronald Reagan used that attack to both launch a massive ground war in Central Asia and to launch a war in the Gulf based on utterly fraudulent evidence while also enacting a massive expansion of the national security state and a global system of kidnapping and secret detention and torture.

Shut up.

Appears these guys were into radical Islam (quite likely recruited by a terror group, though the last I heard, we don't know enough to say anything with certainty).

The Religion of Peace strikes again. (No doubt deeply disappointing those liberals who disgustingly hoped this vile murder could help advance their own politics. From Salon a couple days ago: "Let's Hope the Boston Marathon Bomber is a White American." Sadly, not a joke.)

How disgusting that anyone should hope anything about the bombers, other than that they be swiftly stopped, apprehended, and brought to justice.

We've been subject to terrorism from Muslim terrorist organizations and right-wing white men. The last successful terrorist attack that was perpetrated by right-wing freedom lovers was dealt with in a reasonable manner and as a matter for law-enforcement. The last time it was Muslims the political party of your boy toy Ronald Reagan used that attack to both launch a massive ground war in Central Asia and to launch a war in the Gulf based on utterly fraudulent evidence while also enacting a massive expansion of the national security state and a global system of kidnapping and secret detention and torture.

Shut up.

dominicansoul

How did they catch him? Shoe prints? DNA?

they wouldnt have caught him, had the owners of the boat he was hiding in had not noticed the blood on their shed door.  the police had searched that area already and missed him...

Shut up.

Shaddupya face.

dominicansoul

So....reports are out that the younger brother actually ran over his older brother with the stolen suv while the cops had his brother on the ground in handcuffs...

is it possible he was trying to "explode" the bomb that was strapped to his elder brother that didn't go off when it was supposed to???

man, these guyz are friggin' nutz!!!!!

Shut up.

U mad bro?

Seems that just about every time some psycho commits mass-murder, the lefty idiot talking-heads immediately reflexively start the moronic babbling about "right-wingers" or Tea-Partiers, or Sarah Palin or whatever.

Good article by Deroy Murdoch on this topic  (written before the Boston bombers were identified).

And here's some pure awesomeness from the great Mark Steyn: "The 'Co-exist' Bombers."

And yes, unfortunately there is a particular faction of Islam which openly supports terrorism, jihad, and the slaughter of Jews and infidels, etc., and has a global network funded by fundamentalist Saudis.  The 9-11 attacks were plotted by an organized plot by an organization called Al Qaeda (you may have heard of them).  Though no doubt, that's just a rightwing nutjob conspiracy theory.

Most recent homegrown attacks ("left-wing," "right-wing" or just plain nutty) were in fact the work of lone crazies, rather than the work of larger organizations.  Too bad the facts aren't more pc.

While looks obvious that they were inspired by radical Imans, whether the Boston bombers were more-or-less lone wolves or part of a larger conspiracy remains to be seen.  But in the mean-time, i won't presume or hope for anything other than that the murderer gets justice for his crimes.  I'm just happy they caught the little bastard.

Reading that this kid hasn't been read his Miranda rights. Come on, guys! This guy is a lowlife piece of sh*t, but if his rights as an American can be dismissed by circumstance, so too can yours. John Adams defended the British soldiers after the Boston Massacre, not because he was a fan of them or their King, or because he believed that they were totally innocent, but because they deserved to have full, honest and zealous legal representation in an American court system that could be fair and impartial, even in times of great social upheaval. He believed we were a great people, and we were right.

Read Tsarnaev his rights, give him his legal counsel and allow him to have his day in court. It's what makes us American, and no piss-ant Chechnyan with a Paula Dean crockpot should have the power to change who we are, and what we stand for!

Noel's angel

A few of us were watching the news and found the party-like atmosphere that broke out when the suspect was arrested to be quite strange. Is that kind of thing common in America?

Also, it's interesting to note that on the same day as the bomb in Boston, over 120 people died in bombings in Iraq but I only saw one news story about it. I think it says quite a bit about the human psyche.

Reading that this kid hasn't been read his Miranda rights. Come on, guys! This guy is a lowlife piece of sh*t, but if his rights as an American can be dismissed by circumstance, so too can yours. John Adams defended the British soldiers after the Boston Massacre, not because he was a fan of them or their King, or because he believed that they were totally innocent, but because they deserved to have full, honest and zealous legal representation in an American court system that could be fair and impartial, even in times of great social upheaval. He believed we were a great people, and we were right.

Read Tsarnaev his rights, give him his legal counsel and allow him to have his day in court. It's what makes us American, and no piss-ant Chechnyan with a Paula Dean crockpot should have the power to change who we are, and what we stand for!

I"m inclined to agree with you but I don't think it matters. I'm sure most people know the miranda rights without being told, and even when people are told their rights a good number of them still end up talking to the cops and incriminating themselves.